Become a Patron!

MTL flavor tank/coils that won't burn with 70/30 & sweetened ejuice?

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I've been on the hunt for the best flavor tank & settled on the Innokin Zlide, which uses the Zenith coils (now called Z coils). I'd ordered a lot of store bought ejuice that's pretty sweet, 70/30 (nothing I like is in 50/50 or even 60/40 anymore), and the coils that don't burn right off, lose flavor in a day.
I got the Freemax Fireluke 22 (tea fiber cotton coils), after a couple of people said it did well with high vg for them. It has flavor equal to the zlide, and though there's a noticeable decrease in flavor on day 2, it's not as bad as the Zlide. But, before hitting 200 puffs- I've had 2 Fireluke coils burn out. With both brands, the burnt hits come out of nowhere & comes & go sometimes, other times I can't get the coil to taste good again.
(I've used Nautilus BVC coils for years and never had problems, but flavor is very different & not great with it.)

I need to get settled with the right tank & coils before I can't get any shipped- if it's not too late already. Does anyone have a great low wattage flavor tank that can handle these ejuices? I usually stick around 12-14w, so wouldn't want to go much higher.
Right now I'm using the .48 plex3d & .8ohm kanthal Z coils. The Fireluke 22 coils are 1.0ohm. (I'll be selling the coils & 4 tanks when I get this wrapped up.)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I need to better understand what you're meaning by "burn out". Does the metal of the coil/s break apart? It burns through the metal? The coil stops firing?

I use RDAs mainly. Do not really have a lot of coil issues. I clean them by dry fire pulsing, rinsing them off with water. Most of my vaping stays around 28 Watts or less. I use mechanical mods.

The coils I use are simple ones too. Usually a single strand of Kanthal/SS316L, wrapped 4-7 times around 3 mm inner diameter.Don't see a pressing need for fancy. I use Muji cotton a lot, some rayon at times.

Could you losing the flavor be you getting used to it? I know that happens to me at times if I use peppermint, or any other flavor really. This is partially why I don't really bother with flavored juice any more. To me it's not worth the extra step adding it.

Use mostly maximum VG juice here. I like the texture of it for vaping, over PG which to me seems oily.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Recommend the Nautilus GT. It can use the entire range of Nautilus Mini/Triton Mini coils (mine is set up with airflow wide open, a 0.7 ohm coil, and 30/70 juice, so it is restricted direct lung, not MTL). It has great flavor and doesn't leak. I'm vaping the 0.7 ohm coil at 25 watts. If you could get hold of some Triton Mini 1.8 ohm clapton coils, I bet this would be a really good vape in your wattage range.

I bought a bunch of 0.15 nickel coils (for temp control vaping) really cheap at ejuicesteals and plan to try those on this tank when I run out of the 0.7 ohm coils. I also have an Aspire Plato AIO that has temp control, so I could try those coils in that mod as well.

You'll have to hunt around on Google to find one these days. I don't know where they're in stock. Good luck. Better hurry if you're going to mail-order it. You don't have much time left.

Last edited:
Reactions: dez

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Recommend the Nautilus GT. It can use the entire range of Nautilus Mini/Triton Mini coils (mine is set up with airflow wide open, a 0.7 ohm coil, and 30/70 juice, so it is restricted direct lung, not MTL). It has great flavor and doesn't leak. I'm vaping the 0.7 ohm coil at 25 watts. If you could get hold of some Triton Mini 1.8 ohm clapton coils, I bet this would be a really good vape in your wattage range.

I bought a bunch of 0.15 nickel coils (for temp control vaping) really cheap at ejuicesteals and plan to try those on this tank when I run out of the 0.7 ohm coils. I also have an Aspire Plato AIO that has temp control, so I could try those coils in that mod as well.

You'll have to hunt around on Google to find one these days. I don't know where they're in stock. Good luck. Better hurry if you're going to mail-order it. You don't have much time left.
I've come close to getting a Nautilus 2S or GT, but have come across a few people saying they vape the same as the original Nautilus I have as they use the same coils. I haven't found anyone who has tried both & compared. I have seen the triton 1.8 coils mentioned but can't find them many places online unless they're marked up. I got a pack at a local store yesterday and put 1 in my Nautilus but it tastes the same as the bvc coils, from the little bit I've used it. The bvc coils probably won't burn but there's also no flavor. I'm wondering if the other Nautilus tanks would be the same experience using the same coils?
I've used 1.6ohm bvc for a long time and never had a problem with burnt hits with 50/50 or 60/40, & only a little with 70/30, though I didn't use it much with heavy juice bc I got the new tanks in the order with the ejuices. These other tanks/coils would probably be fine with lighter ejuice too. I did have a few burnt hits with the Nautilus using this type of ejuice, but only tried it for a couple of hours.

What does the rest of the world who use MTL and don't make their own e-juice do? Everything I've bought premixed is 70/30 and probably sweetened. I found an article with a picture about burnt coils being caused by heavy vg and sweeteners, and the coil in the pic was gunked up with brown goo from those things and looked like the Fireluke 22 coils when I tried using a needle to poke holes in it for more flow. (Don't try that, the way it's built and the cotton in it just lose form and cave in on the center opening of the coil.)
The zlide z coils are fairing better than the Fireluke 22 coils, but both burn if I use them much, even alternating them and not vaping much at all. The puff counter has come in handy, showing im getting less than 200 puffs on the freemax before they burn.

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I need to better understand what you're meaning by "burn out". Does the metal of the coil/s break apart? It burns through the metal? The coil stops firing?

I use RDAs mainly. Do not really have a lot of coil issues. I clean them by dry fire pulsing, rinsing them off with water. Most of my vaping stays around 28 Watts or less. I use mechanical mods.

The coils I use are simple ones too. Usually a single strand of Kanthal/SS316L, wrapped 4-7 times around 3 mm inner diameter.Don't see a pressing need for fancy. I use Muji cotton a lot, some rayon at times.

Could you losing the flavor be you getting used to it? I know that happens to me at times if I use peppermint, or any other flavor really. This is partially why I don't really bother with flavored juice any more. To me it's not worth the extra step adding it.

Use mostly maximum VG juice here. I like the texture of it for vaping, over PG which to me seems oily.
The coils give a burnt taste. I've taken them out and the cotton in the center is brown but it's still white where you can see into the holes on the outside. Sometimes after a burnt hit if I prime it again and let it sit it'll be fine again for a bit before it happening again. After a couple of times of this it'll only give burnt hits.

It's not getting used to the flavor. I have the Nautilus, freemax Fireluke 22, and Innokin zlide all with the same new ejuice, to compare. I responded just now on another comment with some info too. Thanks for your help!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The problem is that the coils you're using have such small holes for the juice to go through to saturate the cotton, the cotton just isn't staying wet enough.

Do you think it's possible for you to get used to vaping at just a bit higher wattage? You'd sure have a lot less trouble if you could. These 0.7 ohm coils handle 30/70 juice just fine, and the flavor is much better than a standard Nautilus. Otherwise, you really do need 50/50 juice for Nautilus coils. I should have said that in my original post, actually. Most of the juice on the market now is just too thick, which was one of the reasons I started mixing my own. I used to use Nautilus coils almost exclusively, and I always used 50/50 liquid in them, but then it got difficult to find.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most of the juice on the market now is just too thick, which was one of the reasons I started mixing my own.
Then, here I am liking maximum VG. Don't really have any great issues with gunked up coils either. Then, I do dry burning and change out wick eh fairly frequently.

Do have a 1 L of 50/50 @ 18mg/ml nicotine. Almost done with a L of VG. Might use the 50/50 next or cut it in w/ two bottles of max VG. *shrugs* Dunno yet.
The coils give a burnt taste. I've taken them out and the cotton in the center is brown but it's still white where you can see into the holes on the outside. Sometimes after a burnt hit if I prime it again and let it sit it'll be fine again for a bit before it happening again. After a couple of times of this it'll only give burnt hits.
Hm. I'm kind of leaning toward agreeing with @nadalama. You might want to try say 25 to 30 Watts.

Even using mechanical mods I'm doing on average 28 watts on a full battery. When my vape starts "petering out", I know the battery in the mod is about 20%. Then, I put that one on to charge, swap in a rested charged battery.

I avoid getting too much gunk, and squonking lets me keep wicks juicy. Still take 8-12 or so hits before I squonk. Some like to squonk each time a hit/draw is taken. Either way is fine. Your coil has to keep up heating your juice though.

It doesn't matter they style you're vaping really. There are some "basic"/ "fundamental" aspects of vaping which work for all styles. A coil keeping up to heat juice is one of those. If lower wattage isn't heating it well enough, you need to bump up wattage a bit. From what you're posting that seems to be what's happening.

Please note, I use words like seems, appears, what I perceive in a professional manner. I can not tell you with 100% certainty what is wrong or right regarding your case. I can convey only what it seems to me from your text, and advise on a "best guess". Sorry I can only guess.

(No, I'm not in vaping as a professional related to vaping. I learned professionalism from the Navy, from running as an E.M.T for a volunteer rescue squad.)

Don't take me saying "this is what, .." as being written in stone or from some divine power. *chuckles* It isn't that at all by any means. First, I don't try to do that. Second, you got your own mind you can make up. :) If something ain't working, try something else until it does work.

Sorry a lot of it is still trial and error. I think of it like this, smoking was Microsoft Windows. Everything was already done for you, only so many basic "choices" that weren't really choices. Vaping is like Linux/Unix. You got to make an apple before you get apple pie. Your free to figure out how, or just skip making apple pie if you want. You do got choice.

Of course, the trade off being you also got to figure out how to get results you want. You need to do the basics of science here, go back to being an ameba. Those critters keep thriving today. Why? Well because they adapt and they use trial and error to keep moving, to find food, reproduce. They experiment even as much as they're experimented on.

Last edited:

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Then, here I am liking maximum VG. Don't really have any great issues with gunked up coils either. Then, I do dry burning and change out wick eh fairly frequently.

Do have a 1 L of 50/50 @ 18mg/ml nicotine. Almost done with a L of VG. Might use the 50/50 next or cut it in w/ two bottles of max VG. *shrugs* Dunno yet.

Hm. I'm kind of leaning toward agreeing with @nadalama. You might want to try say 25 to 30 Watts.

Even using mechanical mods I'm doing on average 28 watts on a full battery. When my vape starts "petering out", I know the battery in the mod is about 20%. Then, I put that one on to charge, swap in a rested charged battery.

I avoid getting too much gunk, and squonking lets me keep wicks juicy. Still take 8-12 or so hits before I squonk. Some like to squonk each time a hit/draw is taken. Either way is fine. Your coil has to keep up heating your juice though.

It doesn't matter they style you're vaping really. There are some "basic"/ "fundamental" aspects of vaping which work for all styles. A coil keeping up to heat juice is one of those. If lower wattage isn't heating it well enough, you need to bump up wattage a bit. From what you're posting that seems to be what's happening.

Please note, I use words like seems, appears, what I perceive in a professional manner. I can not tell you with 100% certainty what is wrong or right regarding your case. I can convey only what it seems to me from your text, and advise on a "best guess". Sorry I can only guess.

(No, I'm not in vaping as a professional related to vaping. I learned professionalism from the Navy, from running as an E.M.T for a volunteer rescue squad.)

Don't take me saying "this is what, .." as being written in stone or from some divine power. *chuckles* It isn't that at all by any means. First, I don't try to do that. Second, you got your own mind you can make up. :) If something ain't working, try something else until it does work.

Sorry a lot of it is still trial and error. I think of it like this, smoking was Microsoft Windows. Everything was already done for you, only so many basic "choices" that weren't really choices. Vaping is like Linux/Unix. You got to make an apple before you get apple pie. Your free to figure out how, or just skip making apple pie if you want. You do got choice.

Of course, the trade off being you also got to figure out how to get results you want. You need to do the basics of science here, go back to being an ameba. Those critters keep thriving today. Why? Well because they adapt and they use trial and error to keep moving, to find food, reproduce. They experiment even as much as they're experimented on.
@nadalama
Sorry for the delayed response, I was sick so was offline a while. I did get 2 more freemax Fireluke 22 tanks I'd ordered a couple of weeks ago, and 1 coil is a .5ohm, rated 15-30w, so I used it and raised wattage to about 17. Still had the same problem.
The zlide is holding out better than the fireluke by far, but still isn't great. I've been rotating the 3 setups (zlide & 2 fireluke 22's), and as soon as I get a hint of burnt taste I take some hits without hitting the power button to reprime and switch to another, and keep doing that with all of them. It's not making much difference on the 22's, which still give 150-250 hits per coil, but I think it is helping the zlide. I guess there is a function for the puff counter, lol. It seems the more hype I hear about a coil, the worse it performs. They taste amazing but I'm not going to buy more coils.. may use what I have & sell the tanks if I can. I didn't even break the plastic on 1 since I was having these problems, so hope I can sell it.

I had the bottles of ejuice come in, and unfortunately don't like most. I've really liked Beard's The One, but it is probably really sweetened & part of the problem, but it's the same as with the casadaga Cannoli Be Mine I started with. A shop here said their customers had coil problems with that line too.

I did run my own 50/50 mom & Pop's 1 shot mix and still got hot hits on the Fireluke, so idk what's up with it. I got in a bottle I'd wanted, 1 hit wonder's The Man, but it's 80/20, (which I don't think it was marketed that way when I bought it bc I was having problems and checked every juice I ordered), so haven't cracked the seal on it either. Will sell it too.

I also got a box of the Triton mini coils and put 1 in the Nautilus but the flavor isn't any better, maybe worse (or it seems like that after hitting the new tanks). My super sweet, stevia drops, and cherry super concentrate came in so I'll try to doctor up the 2 mixes I made with the 1 shots from Europe later. That cherry was from Amazon, a brand I haven't heard of, and I put some in my drink and the smell was so strong I couldn't stand it, and it didn't help the flavor. I probably need to get a better brand. It's my first time with a single flavor concentrate.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you don't mind making your own coil the berserker is great at that wattage, great little tank IMHO

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
@nadalama
Sorry for the delayed response, I was sick so was offline a while. I did get 2 more freemax Fireluke 22 tanks I'd ordered a couple of weeks ago, and 1 coil is a .5ohm, rated 15-30w, so I used it and raised wattage to about 17. Still had the same problem.
The zlide is holding out better than the fireluke by far, but still isn't great. I've been rotating the 3 setups (zlide & 2 fireluke 22's), and as soon as I get a hint of burnt taste I take some hits without hitting the power button to reprime and switch to another, and keep doing that with all of them. It's not making much difference on the 22's, which still give 150-250 hits per coil, but I think it is helping the zlide. I guess there is a function for the puff counter, lol. It seems the more hype I hear about a coil, the worse it performs. They taste amazing but I'm not going to buy more coils.. may use what I have & sell the tanks if I can. I didn't even break the plastic on 1 since I was having these problems, so hope I can sell it.

I had the bottles of ejuice come in, and unfortunately don't like most. I've really liked Beard's The One, but it is probably really sweetened & part of the problem, but it's the same as with the casadaga Cannoli Be Mine I started with. A shop here said their customers had coil problems with that line too.

I did run my own 50/50 mom & Pop's 1 shot mix and still got hot hits on the Fireluke, so idk what's up with it. I got in a bottle I'd wanted, 1 hit wonder's The Man, but it's 80/20, (which I don't think it was marketed that way when I bought it bc I was having problems and checked every juice I ordered), so haven't cracked the seal on it either. Will sell it too.

I also got a box of the Triton mini coils and put 1 in the Nautilus but the flavor isn't any better, maybe worse (or it seems like that after hitting the new tanks). My super sweet, stevia drops, and cherry super concentrate came in so I'll try to doctor up the 2 mixes I made with the 1 shots from Europe later. That cherry was from Amazon, a brand I haven't heard of, and I put some in my drink and the smell was so strong I couldn't stand it, and it didn't help the flavor. I probably need to get a better brand. It's my first time with a single flavor concentrate.

Ok, let's try this one more time.

The smaller holes on the pro-ohm Nautilus coils do not let enough thick juice into the coil to keep the cotton well saturated. Increasing wattage with 1.2, 1.6, 1.8 ohm coils, when they're already burning, is just going to make them burn quicker.

The reason I suggested you try to get used to higher wattage is so you could switch to the 0.7 ohm coil, which has bigger juice feed holes and can handle the thicker juice. I'm running 25/75 in mine with no problems, and I've been using the same coil for several MONTHS.

Anything above 1 ohm, in my opinion, needs 60/40, 50/50, or 70/30 juice, and nothing thicker than that. My ratios are pg/vg.

Thicker juice that you've already opened, you should try it in the Fireluke tank with wattage at at least 35 to 40. Watts will have to be that high to vaporize the juice, rather than just cooking it and gunking up your coil. If the vapor is too hot, open the airflow all the way.

Last edited:

dez

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Ok, let's try this one more time.

The smaller holes on the pro-ohm Nautilus coils do not let enough thick juice into the coil to keep the cotton well saturated. Increasing wattage with 1.2, 1.6, 1.8 ohm coils, when they're already burning, is just going to make them burn quicker.

The reason I suggested you try to get used to higher wattage is so you could switch to the 0.7 ohm coil, which has bigger juice feed holes and can handle the thicker juice. I'm running 25/75 in mine with no problems, and I've been using the same coil for several MONTHS.

Anything above 1 ohm, in my opinion, needs 60/40, 50/50, or 70/30 juice, and nothing thicker than that. My ratios are pg/vg.

Thicker juice that you've already opened, you should try it in the Fireluke tank with wattage at at least 35 to 40. Watts will have to be that high to vaporize the juice, rather than just cooking it and gunking up your coil. If the vapor is too hot, open the airflow all the way.
I've been vaping much less, not hitting it so hard or back to back, and the .8 z coils are doing much better. The coils for the Fireluke are giving a tad bit more but not much, so I'll stop using those tanks when I'm out of coils.
I got my MMJ card and have been trying different things, like CBG, etc., so I'm sleeping much more and just not vaping as much.
I'm still using Beard's The One 70/30, LOVE it. I also am rotating out tanks/set ups with zlide and 2 Fireluke 22 tanks so at the first hint of burnt taste I reprime and set it down to cool and use a different one. It's helped a lot, used my last z coil from 4/22 until 5/4, which is amazing for those. Im not getting near what I should, but around 600+ puffs is several times more than before.
It hasn't made a difference with Fireluke 22.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like you may chain vape. No coils are really designed to do that in excess. At least none I know about. Not aware if you can even build your own to do it.

VU Sponsors