Become a Patron!

My first 4 DIY mixes...Mixed bag of results

littlewitewilly

Member For 4 Years
Hello VU members. I've recently attempted my first 4 DIY recipes, and had some mixed results. Will list the 4 recipes I tried, my tasting results, then a 1-5 "grade". All recipes were tested on a 22mm Cheetah RDA, 3mm 24g 316L spaced coils, Cotton Bacon V2, resistance came to .24ohms at 82w.

Moon Sugar (clone?): SnV, then a 1 week steep...WAYYYYY too much Cinnamon flavor for me. I HATE an overly cinnamon vape. Torches my throat BIG TIME. Flushed the 30ml I mixed up, will possibly return and adjust the recipe at a later date. Grade: 1

Game Over Custard: SnV, then a 1 week steep (yeah right): Right after a good SnV I knew this was a keeper. Tried to let it steep but only laster about 48 hrs and I was filling my Limitless RDTA and going to town. Mixed up another 120ml as I proceeded to lay waste to my 30ml tester. KILLER VAPE! Grade: 5+

Rice Krispy Treats (Squonk's): SnV only, just mixed this tonite. Pretty tasty, but I'm getting a "plastic" off-flavor. Gonna let it steep for a week and revisit it for another judgment. Best "realistic" RKT vape I ever tasted was Krispy Clouds by Casey's Mainline Reserve. It tasted exactly like RKT, and I mean EXACTLY. Grade: 3.5

Double Caramel Cappuccino (HIC): SnV only, just mixed. Ummm...Getting a somewhat harsh, overpowering "coffee bean" flavor and something else I cant put my finger on. Not getting any sweetness or caramel, or "cappuccino-like" flavor after my initial SnV tasting. Letting this one steep for a good 10 days before revisiting. My favorite of this profile is Caramel Waffle Cappuccino from The Pier/LA Sauce. Grade 2?

Well people, those are my personal results so far. Batting .250 as of now, we'll see how the RKT and the DCC turn out after a little steeping.Thanks again for the support here,and the hard work of the DIY gurus.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm pretty sure if I were to look at my mixing spreadsheets it would be around 30 mixes or so before I got something I liked, and that was mixing other's recipes. One out of four ain't bad. Keep at it, you'll continue to improve at mixing.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Try not to be hard on yourself. Even with recipes that a thousand people love, you could not-love it.

With a little experience you'll be able to perform some course correction on recipes that aren't the way you want them, once you learn your basic flavors and some of their characteristics, like the way flavors change as they steep. Cinnamon especially, unless it's a candy-type cinnamon, can change completely in five or six days. It can become more true-cinnamon, or become sweeter, or weaken, or or or...

Of course, I say "cinnamon especially" because I use a lot of it, I love it, and it ain't like it's terribly bashful in a mix.

Anyway, just hang in there. You'll get it, sooner than you think, but then, there will always be more to learn, too.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm pretty sure if I were to look at my mixing spreadsheets it would be around 30 mixes or so before I got something I liked, and that was mixing other's recipes. One out of four ain't bad. Keep at it, you'll continue to improve at mixing.
^^^this. Keep at it. It took me months to get it right and I still screw stuff up. And I had to go at it twice...tried to mix two years ago, screwed up, gave it up, then started mixing again about a year ago. Now I can’t stop! You will get better and it will get easier!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
With @Squonk Rice Krispies Treat the recommended steep time is 10 days, so that may affect how you feel about it now. I use that recipe & I quite enjoy it after a 10 day + steep.
It’s good! But definitely needs those 10 days....

Hillbilly Pig

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
Better than my first go with mixing, took me ~40 recipes before I finally got something of my own that wasn't trash, course right about that time I found TFA dragon fruit...point is; everyone fucks up when they first begin, and even after they've found their groove, hope ya keep at it man. Look forward to some of the stuff you'll make, I know I am :D

VU Sponsors