Become a Patron!

My first RTA

Hello everybody! I'm a new member here with a question regarding the build I just set up. I've got the Dead Rabbit V2 and some hive 30g *4 .5 ohm coils. Single coil build all wicked and primed, started low at 10 Watts and went up in 10 Watt increments. I'm getting decent flavor now at 45.5 Watts. My question is is it OK to go higher? Say like 55-60 Watts? Coil is reading .63 ohm and if I understand correctly the single wrapped coils typically need higher Watts to heat the coil.
Any info would be great as I don't want to blow my face off. I'm ugly enough already LOL.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum.
What kind of mod do you have?
if you are at 0.63 ohms then 55 - 60 watts should be fine on a regulated mod.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If it starts getting uncomfortably warm or burnt tasting, you've gone too high. It's always a good idea to start low, and work your way up. Settle at a wattage that gives you a satisfying vape. Sometimes you might need to change your build if it's not satisfying.

I don't think I've ever used 4x30ga. You might like a single coil RTA better also.

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum.
What kind of mod do you have?
if you are at 0.63 ohms then 55 - 60 watts should be fine on a regulated mod.
Thanks! I have the Aegis Legend. Been a great mod so far. Seems to be indestructible. They put out another not long ago which is lighter but I just can't justify that as a reason to replace it. The weight doesn't bother me. It's not like it is as heavy as a brick. Anyway I appreciate the reply. I've never had a RTA before as I've always used the pre built stuff from Freemax, Falcon or Zeus. I have no complaints about them except for price! A lot of gouging going on with the current state of affairs regarding vaping. For the price I pay for the pre built stuff I can get coils and cotton and do it myself while saving money.

If it starts getting uncomfortably warm or burnt tasting, you've gone too high. It's always a good idea to start low, and work your way up. Settle at a wattage that gives you a satisfying vape. Sometimes you might need to change your build if it's not satisfying.

I don't think I've ever used 4x30ga. You might like a single coil RTA better also.
Hey there. It's not uncomfortable or tasting burnt but I do like a warmer hit and that is why I was wondering if it's OK to go up. I've been doing research and I've seen people say between 25-30 Watts but with this setup I get no flavor. Others have said whatever wattage is fine as long as it's not getting crazy hot or burnt. I usually buy the pre built stuff but want to get into making my own and want to be safe about it.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey there. It's not uncomfortable or tasting burnt but I do like a warmer hit and that is why I was wondering if it's OK to go up. I've been doing research and I've seen people say between 25-30 Watts but with this setup I get no flavor. Others have said whatever wattage is fine as long as it's not getting crazy hot or burnt. I usually buy the pre built stuff but want to get into making my own and want to be safe about it.
I use 2x28/38 wire for dual coils usually. For single coil I usually use 3x28/38 or 3x26/36.

30ga wire is pretty darn thin. Even with 4 of them, I imagine they probably don't want a lot of power flowing through it. Im not sure but you could try adding more wraps to your coil so it has more mass.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
if I understand correctly the single wrapped coils typically need higher Watts to heat the coil.
Far as I know, resistance = resistance.
Not saying it can't happen but for an rta designed for 2 coils, 1 doesn't usually cut it do to air flow.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For the price I pay for the pre built stuff I can get coils and cotton and do it myself while saving money.

Something a lot of us learn early on. Do not think I've paid much over $10 for a 250 foot spool of basic wire. Cotton well, gee, seems I've paid nearly nothing. Got a bag for $13 that's lasted at least three years and even give some away, still plenty.

Coil is reading .63 ohm

I like a sweet spot with plain wire coils of around 0.30 to 0.50 Ω. This suits me well on both mechanical and regulated devices. YMMV, of course.

Bit of a quick little secret with mechanical mods. At most you might get about 30 watts out of a single cell 18650. Usual average is closer to 28 watts though. Then, as charge wanes/(voltage drops) so too wattage.

That's if you had a wattage meter on a mechanical. Which if mechanical you don't. ;) :) It's a guesstimate.

Last edited:

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The dead rabbit V2 has okay flavour but the Zeus X is leagues ahead. I find the Zeus easy to build and wick so could easily recommend that to a beginner. Bare in mind with the dead rabbit V2 the coil has to be in exactly the right place or you get muted flavour. Gotta have the coils or single coil higher up than in other RTA's

The dead rabbit V2 has okay flavour but the Zeus X is leagues ahead. I find the Zeus easy to build and wick so could easily recommend that to a beginner. Bare in mind with the dead rabbit V2 the coil has to be in exactly the right place or you get muted flavour. Gotta have the coils or single coil higher up than in other RTA's
I'm getting really good flavor. I positioned the coil to where I believe the air hits it from both sides. I'm sure I can get more flavor from it but that will be learned as I go along and tinker. I was just asking about upping the wattage safely. I know regulated mods are pretty forgiving and there are protections built in but I would rather be safe than sorry. I know there are lots of knowledgeable people here as I've frequented here often before I signed up. I appreciate all the replies and am puffing at a warm 55.5 Watts.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm getting really good flavor. I positioned the coil to where I believe the air hits it from both sides. I'm sure I can get more flavor from it but that will be learned as I go along and tinker. I was just asking about upping the wattage safely. I know regulated mods are pretty forgiving and there are protections built in but I would rather be safe than sorry. I know there are lots of knowledgeable people here as I've frequented here often before I signed up. I appreciate all the replies and am puffing at a warm 55.5 Watts.
I'm glad it's working for you :)

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hello everybody! I'm a new member here with a question regarding the build I just set up. I've got the Dead Rabbit V2 and some hive 30g *4 .5 ohm coils. Single coil build all wicked and primed, started low at 10 Watts and went up in 10 Watt increments. I'm getting decent flavor now at 45.5 Watts. My question is is it OK to go higher? Say like 55-60 Watts? Coil is reading .63 ohm and if I understand correctly the single wrapped coils typically need higher Watts to heat the coil.
Any info would be great as I don't want to blow my face off. I'm ugly enough already LOL.
Welcome to the forums, you have a great mod .... Experimentation is the key to finding your vape nirvana. Read the forums and keep asking questions.....

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to VU! :cheers:

Echoing my "evil twin" @Vape Fan, what batteries are you using? The Aegis is a dual battery mod that claims 200W, but that would only be with Samsung 20S batteries and a very low build. The 60W you want to try would be fine with 15-20 Amp batteries.

You should be fine bumping up your watts to 60W, but I would just bump it up 2-3 watts at a time from your current 45.5. If it gets too hot for you or it starts to loose taste or burning then back it back down.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I wouldn't go much above 45 or 50 watts simply because I have seen 30 ga wire MELT when it gets too hot. I know you have four strands of it, better be sure that it is very secure within the post holes in your RDA so that current flows through all four strands as evenly as possible.

VU Sponsors