Become a Patron!

MY RIGHT TO VAPE VIOLATED

Professor Xavier

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
UPS has no policy concerning vaping (electronic cigarettes) or no policy has been produces to me, despite my multiple request. I was written up for using my vaping(electronic cigarette) in the UPS hub recently, something I have done for years prior. When I asked where I was to go to use my device I was told outside in the break area with the tobacco smokers. When I protested, saying I am not a smoker and should not have my health put at risk by having to breathe in 2nd hand smoke I was told by my supervisor "I don't know what to tell you". I have talk to safety department (who has a member that vapes upstairs in the office), Human Resources and several high level management member all who are unaware of any policy concerning the use of electronic cigarettes. My right are being violated please help.

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What state/county are you in? In King County Washington, vaping has the same restrictions as smoking in terms of doing it inside or near entrances to buildings. While I understand that you do not want second hand smoke from smokers in the smoking area, the same applies to those who do not want second hand vapor from vaping. We only maintain our rights when they do not harm others and, while the risks of vaping are largely unknown, it is still not healthy. Only healthier than smoking.

Reactions: Jah

Professor Xavier

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What state/county are you in? In King County Washington, vaping has the same restrictions as smoking in terms of doing it inside or near entrances to buildings. While I understand that you do not want second hand smoke from smokers in the smoking area, the same applies to those who do not want second hand vapor from vaping. We only maintain our rights when they do not harm others and, while the risks of vaping are largely unknown, it is still not healthy. Only healthier than smoking.[/QUOTE

I am in Atlanta, GA and this is a green state for vaping.

There is no evidence of vaping being harmful to user of bystanders but I understand what you are saying .. but are we not ourselves entitle to the same peace of mind .. my would vaper be subject to the PROVEN harmful 2nd smoke. If this is the case should Vapers not have their own area to vape

OB61887

Am I saying meow?
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I get it. I vape in the office on the weekends when nobody else is here, but in public I do my best to not vape near others who do not vape or smoke since, even if it is harmless they may not know that. Not saying it is an obligation. I just consider it the right thing to do.

Still, as a teamster I am surprised they were able to write you up with no policy to reference. I would at least expect a warning first. I have seen teamsters crash carts into trucks and drive off without notifying anybody and they challenged the write up.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get it. I vape in the office on the weekends when nobody else is here, but in public I do my best to not vape near others who do not vape or smoke since, even if it is harmless they may not know that. Not saying it is an obligation. I just consider it the right thing to do.

It's called being polite, the same way you switch off your cellphone at the theater although there's no law against ringing phones in threaters. Good on you my friend.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
UPS has no policy concerning vaping (electronic cigarettes) or no policy has been produces to me, despite my multiple request. I was written up for using my vaping(electronic cigarette) in the UPS hub recently, something I have done for years prior. When I asked where I was to go to use my device I was told outside in the break area with the tobacco smokers. When I protested, saying I am not a smoker and should not have my health put at risk by having to breathe in 2nd hand smoke I was told by my supervisor "I don't know what to tell you". I have talk to safety department (who has a member that vapes upstairs in the office), Human Resources and several high level management member all who are unaware of any policy concerning the use of electronic cigarettes. My right are being violated please help.
If I'm honest mate.....the policy in your case is not against vaping...it's against YOU in particular.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I frequent a coffee house that allows vaping.....this is geared towards the fairy whisp vapers....and not for people like me that enjoy creating small weather systems.

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If I'm honest mate.....the policy in your case is not against vaping...it's against YOU in particular.
That could work on a grievance meeting, "harassment" if the OP can prove they singled him out on a policy that is NOT evenly applied

Remember though...double edge sword...grievance meetings can lead to some really stupid policies after

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
There it is @Warhawk-AVG

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That could work on a grievance meeting, "harassment" if the OP can prove they singled him out on a policy that is NOT evenly applied

Remember though...double edge sword...grievance meetings can lead to some really stupid policies after

Yup.. if there is no policy - with the shit storm you are stirring up - you know they will be writing one up soon :)

I'm lucky - I work in a VERY corporate environment and no one has said anything to me about vaping at my desk - but I also don't blow huge clouds around.. the most my boss ever said to me was 'are you sure you're not vaping something illegal in there?' and I said 'nope.. I wait until I get home to start that'

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm kinda torn on this one. I understand where your coming from, but as others have stated, raising hell about it will probably result in an official policy. And if you really piss them off they might violate your right to work there.

Professor Xavier

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yes, that has been noticed as well, and now all the attention behind this will back fire shortly on the supervisor in question.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, that has been noticed as well, and now all the attention behind this will back fire shortly on the supervisor in question.
Tell him to be a good Spartan and die with the rest!!!
j26yBCI.gif

Professor Xavier

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm kinda torn on this one. I understand where your coming from, but as others have stated, raising hell about it will probably result in an official policy. And if you really piss them off they might violate your right to work there.
So I was in the beginning as well, but I realized something, that is what I want them to do make a policy, it is coming anyway sooner or later. Making such a noise about it will give them something to think about, for instance how vapers are more productive than smokers, when I smoked cigarettes I would do anything I could to get away for a cigarette, now I never leave my work area or that they will have to make a new area for vapers since we are not smokers and thus have the right not to be subjected to 2nd hand smoke. I feel like raising hell at least give us a voice in the situation instead of just waiting with our fingers crossed.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You speak of your right to vape, your right to not be subjected to second hand smoke. You seem to have a lot of rights I've never heard of. I'm starting to think...... Nevermind, good luck.

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You're probably pretty young. It may be bullshit, but they own the building. Our list of unalienable rights is fairly short. I understand that you want a policy addressing it before they enforce their will, but it's their decision either way. I'm sure they don't have a policy on blowing your nose in a napkin and putting it back in the dispenser, but I bet they'd ask you not to.

The point is that vaping is annoying to some people, a lot of whom have more power than we. Manners and caution are the order of the day.

Professor Xavier

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You speak of your right to vape, your right to not be subjected to second hand smoke. You seem to have a lot of rights I've never heard of. I'm starting to think...... Nevermind, good luck.
?
speak you mind sir

Professor Xavier

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You're probably pretty young. It may be bullshit, but they own the building. Our list of unalienable rights is fairly short. I understand that you want a policy addressing it before they enforce their will, but it's their decision either way. I'm sure they don't have a policy on blowing your nose in a napkin and putting it back in the dispenser, but I bet they'd ask you not to.

The point is that vaping is annoying to some people, a lot of whom have more power than we. Manners and caution are the order of the day.

Im am far from young but I would take some year back if I could.

There seems to be a thought that I mean I want to vape and vape and vape with reckless abandonment all throughout the building. I just want to be able to sit down at break in my area and have a vape. For the years before this incident I vaped in the building and away from others. Yes, coworkers know I vape and some even come to me asking questions and some even converted. Everywhere I vape I am unconscious of my surroundings because I know people have the right not to have their personal space invaded by a huge cloud of vapor, reguardless of how pleasant it smells. I am nothing if not considerate of the rights to others but I will also fight for mine.

As for the fairly short list .. its much longer than you let on sir.

VU Sponsors