Become a Patron!

My vaping voyage in the past 6 months in the mitten state

Ravinmad

Member For 2 Years
Well,

Initially, I vaped using disposable nic salt units, I needed something "more" or "additional" added to the coffee and-kind to get me thru daily life in the 2020-2021 era. Traditional tabacco habits were not in the cards for several reasons, one being cost and remains a major factor. I am former Military/ Army and can recall buying Marlboro cartons for about $7.84 a carton in the early 90's prior to the sin tax that congress tossed onto them, so seeing packs for $7+ now was not something i could wrap my brain around. After a time with the disposables and a few discussions I opted to take a leap and purchased a Aegis Mini starter kit at a local vape shop. I was in my glory for about 2 weeks with my new unit when it suddenly stopped working for no real reason. A visit to my local shop and getting a smok prince stick loaner unit I was told how to go about getting my warranty replacement. After about 4-5 emails/chats with Geek Vape customer service and videos/pictures showing it not working we processed my replacement order which for several reasons and low stock in the USA is/was going to take 35 non holiday/ non weekend days.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Well,

Initially, I vaped using disposable nic salt units, I needed something "more" or "additional" added to the coffee and-kind to get me thru daily life in the 2020-2021 era. Traditional tabacco habits were not in the cards for several reasons, one being cost and remains a major factor. I am former Military/ Army and can recall buying Marlboro cartons for about $7.84 a carton in the early 90's prior to the sin tax that congress tossed onto them, so seeing packs for $7+ now was not something i could wrap my brain around. After a time with the disposables and a few discussions I opted to take a leap and purchased a Aegis Mini starter kit at a local vape shop. I was in my glory for about 2 weeks with my new unit when it suddenly stopped working for no real reason. A visit to my local shop and getting a smok prince stick loaner unit I was told how to go about getting my warranty replacement. After about 4-5 emails/chats with Geek Vape customer service and videos/pictures showing it not working we processed my replacement order which for several reasons and low stock
in the USA is/was going to take 35 non holiday/ non weekend days.
Hi :wave:
I think your best bet would be to look in the classifieds and have a wonderful trader with an amazing reputation such as @gadget! @Theboss @Ms. Trixy @inswva (I know I missed a bunch) to sell you an extra device
I'm sure someone could get you an entire backup device for cheap.

Here is the hardware section:

Have a great evening, :wave:

Ravinmad

Member For 2 Years
to get to me. This was about mid November and all said and done I expect to hopefully have my replacement by the 10th or January or so. In the mean time I broke the glass on my Cerberus tank and began a voyage to get replacement glass- This was quite a voyage and I believe I have some secured but the fact replacement glass is scarce if at all was a shocker to me, I guess we should just color me naive. I covered myself with some FreeMax disposable tanks with the coils built in as we were on a trip (yeah perfect storm) which were excellent in a pinch and are great less wanting to leak

So now, I have my Cerberus tank, with the straight walled glass riding on a loaner Smok Stick Prince as I wait for my actual Mod replacement to arrive and get back to vaping my own actual hardware. I have started to secure materials and goods to have a supply of glass, coils, and juice because of everything going on in the world.

I am considering an additional tank- and mod, I like the look of the FreeMax 168W system, the Smok species units. I also considered the Legend II from Geek Vape but as I read more and investigate I am not sure I want to go with them again. I like the ease of pre built coils but are not totally against building my own either- I have not done it yet but I have the skill sets needed to do such work I will just say. I am open to IM's, messages, or suggestions on peoples experiences and such.

Thanks,

Ravin

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Wow - such bad luck- surprising there is a problem with the Aegis mod- they are waterproof, dustproof, shockproof. Fasttech is a great source for spare glass- it will take a while to get to you- a few weeks from China- but many of us use FT https://www.fasttech.com/search?keywords=cerberus
also coils too- mods and tanks.
One important thing with vaping is to make sure you have spares- just in case something happens, you will have something to vape. Many of us have many spares- there have been really good sales before the Vape shipping bans took effect.
As 5150 suggested there are some really great sellers here on the forum with some great prices on some really nice gear.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Would suggest at least considering RDAs (Drippers) instead of RTAs (Tanks). It helps keeping stuff simple, easy to use & keep up. You can use pre-made coils &/ DIY own coils for either way. A spool of wire can get you 100 +/- coils for near dirt cheap. You might also find RDAs offer a bit better flavor. That's subjective though, some like tanks.

Apologies, forgot to add my "bumper sticker". I use RSAs, really all those are is an RDA with a capillary 510 pin. These are used for squonking. Some of us are "lazy" drippers, or just bonkers. :D :) Not saying you need to squonk, merely leaving an option on the table.

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Would suggest at least considering RDAs (Drippers) instead of RTAs (Tanks)
Yes there are a few really easy single coils RDAs like the Mongrel RDA so easy to build and wick that one. It comes with a metal and glass cap, no messy glass tank section to take apart like an RTA, yes RDAs are much easier than RTAs. Yes and he could buy pre made coils I have a bunch of those Demon Killer kits with like 8 types of coils I bought dirt cheap and never have to wind my own. I bought them in SS, 80Ni and Kanthal.
Plus no worries about not being able to get Factory coils for your sub tanks, happened to me with a sub tank I loved- stopped manufacturing the coils for it- made me get some RTAs and RDAs- no worries about those and coils, except the glass for the RTAs- yes I have broken a few, but have spares.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Plus no worries about not being able to get Factory coils for your sub tanks, happened to me with a sub tank I loved- stopped manufacturing the coils for it- made me get some RTAs and RDAs- no worries about those and coils, except the glass for the RTAs- yes I have broken a few, but have spares.

Think I had a Smok tank once. It was glass but not Pyrex. Boy that was fun. Short of it, glass & juice everywhere. Wife found me a stainless steel tube replacement. Hm, not sure where that got ran off to now.

Started using RDA/RSAs & not looked back too much at tanks. Will say though having some tube mods, can see why tanks can be useful to have. I'm still kind of a bit put off by them but will be looking for some top fill ones, eventually. No hurry, still got Wasp Nanos out the eyes. *chuckles*

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Shame on that shop for not providing you the CS needed to return that kit after 2 weeks.
I wouldn't totally trust what GV said about 45 days. If they are satisfied, why 45 days? Backed up logistics should be the only answer imo.

With the DL style of vape Cerberus has, seems a wonder you can go a day on the Mini's built in 2200 Mah battery. I would consider that a mismatch. Maybe it has passthrough (ability to charge/vape at the same time) and you used that? The Mini will be relinquished to emergency standby, or short mobile trips. :p

We love giving feedback. So it'd be nice to know what your thinkin b4 you buy.
Thoughts on Species/Freemax 168:
I think the last release of a Species variant was mid 2018. smok has a newer chip/board than that. Still, I don't care for smok, Few do.
That 168W has a fire bar. For me that makes it cumbersome. If I pick something like that up buy its shape, its going to fire. Unless I pick it up the other way, and smudge up the screen .

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It looks like you've already received some great advice here so I won't add much.

I will say that I moved into rebuildables after some frustration with stock coils being defective right out of the pack and not lasting very long. The substantial cost savings in moving away from stock coils was an added bonus. You'll know when/if you're ready and there's no shame in continuing with stock coils if that's what suits you.

As for the mods you mentioned, I had an Aegis Legend back when they came out during the summer of 18. That was my daily work mod forever, it took a beating and never died. I pulled it out not long ago just for the heck of it, put batteries in it and it works like the day I bought it.

Freemax makes some good setups and people speak highly of their coils. Like @Vape Fan said, you won't find a lot of Smok fans around here, mainly due to reliability and customer service issues.

Good luck with your vaping journey, if you ever have any questions shoot me a pm.

Last edited:

Ravinmad

Member For 2 Years
Shame on that shop for not providing you the CS needed to return that kit after 2 weeks.
I wouldn't totally trust what GV said about 45 days. If they are satisfied, why 45 days? Backed up logistics should be the only answer imo.

With the DL style of vape Cerberus has, seems a wonder you can go a day on the Mini's built in 2200 Mah battery. I would consider that a mismatch. Maybe it has passthrough (ability to charge/vape at the same time) and you used that? The Mini will be relinquished to emergency standby, or short mobile trips. :p

We love giving feedback. So it'd be nice to know what your thinkin b4 you buy.
Thoughts on Species/Freemax 168:
I think the last release of a Species variant was mid 2018. smok has a newer chip/board than that. Still, I don't care for smok, Few do.
That 168W has a fire bar. For me that makes it cumbersome. If I pick something like that up buy its shape, its going to fire. Unless I pick it up the other way, and smudge up the screen .
I cant really vape during the work day, abet a run offsite during lunch. I work at a smoke free Industrial PARK - bleh

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hi :wave:
I think your best bet would be to look in the classifieds and have a wonderful trader with an amazing reputation such as @gadget! @Theboss @Ms. Trixy @inswva (I know I missed a bunch) to sell you an extra device
I'm sure someone could get you an entire backup device for cheap.
Thanks for thinking about me!

Hi @Ravinmad I've thinned out my stuff quite a bit but I still have stuff I haven't used and a few that have barely used. Gimme a day or two and I'll see what I have. I also have some all-in-one devices, baby beast tanks, mods, coils, etc. Think of it as a bundle deal. I'll throw in some RY4 nic salt. Kinda has a flavor like a very mild cig. Below is the RY4 & Menthol. Drop me a PM and I'll get to you soon. Happy New Year!

And as @5150sick said, on the cheap!!! You're U.S.A. right?

Nic Salt.jpg

VU Sponsors