Become a Patron!

n00b help on clapton builds

cloudking666

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi all!

i'm new here and was seeing if i can get some advice. i have been vaping for about 5 years

started on cartos, with a provari then to mech drippers. a gus with a nimbus, love it staywith that for 2 years, with a couple RDAs.

then i was stuck on supertanks by tobeco, and didnt drip.

i am currently using a 25mm supertank mini RTA and love it. so far i love it, i just started building, my go to build is 10 wrap 24 guage microcoil on kanthal.

sorry for the long intro but, my question is is clapton worth the trouble? i hear the flavor is better. and there are crazier clapton builds like dragon skin, stuff like that. is it worth it or any suggestions for builds? links? youtube would be helpful, but iwanted some input from the community

thanks in advance

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In my opinion, clapton variations are very worth the effort. There's almost some kind of clapton in all of my RDA's, but this speaks for a dripper.. Not sure how it is for tanks, but I can tell you the dual clapton coil in my TFV4 always gave me the best vape. And making claptons has become much easier with the use of jigs or swivels, magnets, etc..

Welcome to the board, glad to have you here!

Instagram: @ohmmage

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
They are popular for a very good reason. Heat flux and taking up more chamber space (denser vapor and more intense flavor), coil heating properties, wicking properties, depth in flavor and various nuances that you wouldnt get from micro coils.
Youtube is the best place for building tutorials, I would check out Rip Trippers older videos, CMMRVapor, The Art of Vaping, Pristine Builds, Twisted Messes's Channel and others. You will learn alot. Just be sure you have a device that is capable of firing what you build!!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok
i cant build a clapton. well maybe i can. never tried. but i buy premade clapton wire from advanced vape supply
its 316L SS wire
i had a dual coil 316L micro coil in one griffin, and a clapton in another. I could taste the difference. Not like its night and day. but theres a definite difference. I also have some vertabraid wire in a griffin and I can tell the difference there as well. SO YES fancy coils can taste better.

want to find out for yourself? get raymo2u or crazy chef to build you a set of claptons or whatever if you like it and dont want to make the coils yourself, you can keep buying premade coils form people. Or buy premade wire spools and just wrap the coils yourself. now you can only basically get twisted,braided, standard claptons and fused claptons in premade spools. making a spool of alien wire is ridiculously tough.

now chef and ray will tell you that premade spools of wire dont taste or last as long as their coils. I cant tell you if that is true. think there is something to what they say about wire quality. But I do know the stuff i get form advanced vape supply seems pretty damn good. only had to replace coils cuz i screwed them up. gotten a couple weeks so far out of coil before I screwed it up. point is there can be a difference in quality with the premade wires and coils.

just some things i learned about using these fancy coils

1. the fancier they are the lower the ohms get. SO this can become an issue if you use SS wire since its resistance is so low to start with. Also if you run dual coil builds then the resistance drops in half. SO you may run into the issue of the ohms are too low for you device or so low that your running at very high wattages and killing your batteries quicker. Because the lower the ohms often means more power is needed to run the coils.
2. SS wire in fancy builds is a tougher thing to deal with becuase it has a lower resistance then kanthal

so basically to combat these if you are having issues like this is to choose the right gauge of wires to get the ohms where you want them

for example
i was using 2x26ga32 wrap 316L clapton wires. well that was ohming in at about .12 or something with the biggest build I could get to fit. Thats fine on some of my devies, but was requiring me to run at about 90w-110w. SO tried out 2x28ga30ga 316 wire. that come sin around .5 and works beautifully at 50w and tastes every bit as good. Also the 30ga vertabraid wire(6 wires braided together) works great at 50 watts ohms in around .14

SO different types of builds need different power requirements and changing gauges can change the ohms

talk to ray and chef get some coils to try and then go from there

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
ok
i cant build a clapton. well maybe i can. never tried. but i buy premade clapton wire from advanced vape supply
its 316L SS wire
i had a dual coil 316L micro coil in one griffin, and a clapton in another. I could taste the difference. Not like its night and day. but theres a definite difference. I also have some vertabraid wire in a griffin and I can tell the difference there as well. SO YES fancy coils can taste better.

want to find out for yourself? get raymo2u or crazy chef to build you a set of claptons or whatever if you like it and dont want to make the coils yourself, you can keep buying premade coils form people. Or buy premade wire spools and just wrap the coils yourself. now you can only basically get twisted,braided, standard claptons and fused claptons in premade spools. making a spool of alien wire is ridiculously tough.

now chef and ray will tell you that premade spools of wire dont taste or last as long as their coils. I cant tell you if that is true. think there is something to what they say about wire quality. But I do know the stuff i get form advanced vape supply seems pretty damn good. only had to replace coils cuz i screwed them up. gotten a couple weeks so far out of coil before I screwed it up. point is there can be a difference in quality with the premade wires and coils.

just some things i learned about using these fancy coils

1. the fancier they are the lower the ohms get. SO this can become an issue if you use SS wire since its resistance is so low to start with. Also if you run dual coil builds then the resistance drops in half. SO you may run into the issue of the ohms are too low for you device or so low that your running at very high wattages and killing your batteries quicker. Because the lower the ohms often means more power is needed to run the coils.
2. SS wire in fancy builds is a tougher thing to deal with becuase it has a lower resistance then kanthal

so basically to combat these if you are having issues like this is to choose the right gauge of wires to get the ohms where you want them

for example
i was using 2x26ga32 wrap 316L clapton wires. well that was ohming in at about .12 or something with the biggest build I could get to fit. Thats fine on some of my devies, but was requiring me to run at about 90w-110w. SO tried out 2x28ga30ga 316 wire. that come sin around .5 and works beautifully at 50w and tastes every bit as good. Also the 30ga vertabraid wire(6 wires braided together) works great at 50 watts ohms in around .14

SO different types of builds need different power requirements and changing gauges can change the ohms

talk to ray and chef get some coils to try and then go from there
I can agree that advancedvapesupplies wire is great, its made inhouse and is higher quality then chinese wire...soon they will be offering premade advanced wire I made by myself ;) Im actually hosting a sale right now if you check my staus!

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes Claptons are worth it.

You didn't write what wattage you use but 10 wrap 24AWG micro coil makes little sense to me, with it's high ramp up time.

Why not less wraps and macro, or just less wraps, or thinner wire.

cloudking666

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes Claptons are worth it.

You didn't write what wattage you use but 10 wrap 24AWG micro coil makes little sense to me, with it's high ramp up time.

Why not less wraps and macro, or just less wraps, or thinner wire.

when i use the 10 wrap its for more vapor production, so i run it at 100-115 watts

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Claptons are great if you are running a high power regulated mod. Not so great without big voltage boosting capability or temp control regulation.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You can always make them fit the power application....Ive made them to work on the mini volt while still giving great battery life and vape...
Different sizes of wire and different wire types in combination can alter the resistance and yield better results for lower powered units. 2x30KA1/42N80 (6 Wraps/2.55 ID) would be great in Dual Coil at 30w

Last edited:

VU Sponsors