Become a Patron!

N90 and SteamEngine

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Are the calcs in steam engine correct for N90?? Non of my coils are coming in anywhere near where they should be according to that. So, either steam engine is incorrect or my wire is incorrect. Would be nice to know which is the case.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
It's pretty close to my typical build 4x30/ 40 5 wraps at 2.5mm at .22 steam engine was .212
Yah I keep getting at least .02 under what steamengine quotes me. And when your building for .08 ... a couple hundredths of an ohm lower is a BIG deal. I checked VapeTool and it seems to come in a bit lower than SteamEngine and more in line with what I've been getting on the ohm reader. So, I'm guessing their formula is a smidge off.

I appreciate you responding!

Rex EvErything

Member For 1 Year
remember that Nichrome always reads low before you fire it...pulse it a few times on something regulated or heat it with a torch and the resistance should come up 0.03 to 0.05....if you havent already.....) and 0.02 is probably giving an ohm reader alot of credit for accuracy within 0.05 is probably as accurate as a "vaping" ohm reader or most chips in mods are gonna get

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
remember that Nichrome always reads low before you fire it...pulse it a few times on something regulated or heat it with a torch and the resistance should come up 0.03 to 0.05....if you havent already.....) and 0.02 is probably giving an ohm reader alot of credit for accuracy within 0.05 is probably as accurate as a "vaping" ohm reader or most chips in mods are gonna get
Resistance calculators should be giving pre-fire resistance. They always have. That is why people look for a .07-.08 ohm build knowing it will come up to +/-.1. And ohm readers should not be given a .05 leeway. It is unacceptable to read up to 50% off the stated resistance. That's like saying it's ok for a product to read at .5 when you've made a 1 ohm build. On average Steamengine is within .01. I can live with +/- .01, though I'm not happy about it considering the super-sub market is big enough now that we should be getting pin-point accuracy. But once we get closer to .02 you are talking about huge jumps in amp load. And once again that's unacceptable whether it be due to reader or calculations.

As stated before, VapeTool seems to have a more accurate prediction for N90. I will be digging in and seeing if the other alloys are different there as well. The ONLY reason I'm not shitting bricks all over steamengine right now is that N90 is fairly new to the pop scene and I venture to say it was hastily thrown in. Hopefully they will correct their formulas.

VU Sponsors