Become a Patron!

Need a new dna mod

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My triade has been acting up. Constantly needing to unlock, massive battery fluctuation in escribe regardless of batteries, won't turn on consistently.... While I figure it out, I need a new mod. After a little bit of research, I've got it narrowed down to either lost vape centaurus or dovpo odin. I've been spoiled by the dna chip & will not consider a non dna. I've got all 18650, so centaurus stands out there. But odin has a wider profile, so less likely to tip over. Does the odin come with battery sleeves? I'm not exactly looking forward to having to buy a new battery size right now. Anybody have thoughts, experience, or input?

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Unfortunately in my opinion Lost Vape has lost their way. As someone who's owned literally everything they've made that's not a pod, there's been a significant decline in quality in the last couple of years. The last new release prior to the Centaurus was the Drone 2.0, mine leaked out of the box from the 510 and the battery door popped open with every push of the squonk bottle.

Fast forward to this year and my Centaurus has a very loose fire button right out of the box and battery door issues. The mod is still working with very limited use, but I know the mod will be coming apart soon when the shut fire button stops working.

My personal opinion would be to go with the Odin and save yourself a headache.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I have the 75C Odin and it's great. Well built and comes with sleeve and I suspect the 250C would be the same.
If between Centaurus and Odin C, Odin imo. Coming from Triad you might want the runtime of 2x21700

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How well do the odin hold up? I see they have usb c charging too. How accurate is the on board charging?

VinnySem

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My triade has been acting up. Constantly needing to unlock, massive battery fluctuation in escribe regardless of batteries, won't turn on consistently.... While I figure it out, I need a new mod. After a little bit of research, I've got it narrowed down to either lost vape centaurus or dovpo odin. I've been spoiled by the dna chip & will not consider a non dna. I've got all 18650, so centaurus stands out there. But odin has a wider profile, so less likely to tip over. Does the odin come with battery sleeves? I'm not exactly looking forward to having to buy a new battery size right now. Anybody have thoughts, experience, or input?
I have several listed in the trading post. Paranormal, Drone BF, Therion BF. Take a look.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I can only speak for the 75C [mine and all pics I see of 250C have micro USB as I believe there is no Evolv type c port]. ik some members have the 250C so maybe someone will chime in soon on build quality - looks good imo - ik the Mini has great fit/finish and put together very well. I don't charge in dual battery mods. You might catch me every once in a while with one of my single battery C mods while its sitting in front of me. Otherwise external charging is safer and probably better for the battery.

There's 2 dual battery Odin's. Type c port is on the 200w Dovpo chip.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No battery adapter sleeves are included with the Odin DNA 250C. I vaguely recall Vaping Bogan saying most people already are "fucking drowning" in battery adapter sleeves, and, good 21700 batteries (the Molicel P42A for vaping at low to medium-low wattages on a dual 21700 battery regulated mod, the Samsung 30T for medium to high wattages on it) are cheap and widely available─and have been that for a long time so "just go buy some batteries" (his words).

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess I stand corrected on the usb c. I must have been looking at the regular odin. I appreciate the offer Vinny, but the paranormal doesn't do it for me. I got my gf one for xmas, & the shape & feel doesn't feel right to me. Anyways, what kind of runtime can I expect from 3 18650 vs 2 20700?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can only speak for the 75C [mine and all pics I see of 250C have micro USB as I believe there is no Evolv type c port]. ik some members have the 250C so maybe someone will chime in soon on build quality - looks good imo - ik the Mini has great fit/finish and put together very well. I don't charge in dual battery mods. You might catch me every once in a while with one of my single battery C mods while its sitting in front of me. Otherwise external charging is safer and probably better for the battery.

There's 2 dual battery Odin's. Type c port is on the 200w Dovpo chip.
Yeah, the Micro USB port is on the DNA version because the DNA 250C board from Evolv doesn't support Type C.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I guess I stand corrected on the usb c. I must have been looking at the regular odin. I appreciate the offer Vinny, but the paranormal doesn't do it for me. I got my gf one for xmas, & the shape & feel doesn't feel right to me. Anyways, what kind of runtime can I expect from 3 18650 vs 2 20700?
21700, not 20700. The runtime, or vaping time greatly depends on the wattage you vape. Going by the mAh rating of the battery in question is a bad idea. Instead, look at the Wh rating that matches the amp draw you'll get. Mooch lists Wh ratings in his battery test results.

The difference in vaping time between 18650s and (the correct choice of) 21700s can be fairly significant, though. Just to give you only one example, continuously discharged at 10A down to 3.2V (i.e. equivalent to, or representative of vaping at about 60 watts on a dual battery regulated mod) the pink Samsung 30Q delivers about 7.53Wh versus 12.4Wh for the Molicel P42A.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Shame on you. Describing a battery by it's color :D:xD:;)

How does a 50E2 factor into that equation..?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

How does a 50E2 factor into that equation..?
From Mooch's test results of the Samsung 50E2:

- Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 5A continuous = 13.7Wh
- Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 12.2Wh

So, for it to give you a bit more vaping time than the Molicel P24A, you'll need to be at about 8A or below, i.e., on a dual 21700 regulated mod, a couple watts below 50.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
So if I'm 30w (or less) dual regulated, 50E2 could be a better choice than P42A, is what I was thinking...

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So if I'm 30w (or less) dual regulated 50E2 could be a better choice than P42A, is what I was thinking...
It most certainly is. But it'll probably take days before you need to recharge them so then the Mini version of the Odin becomes another option to maybe want to consider instead.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Pertains to me because my next batteries will include those 50E2's for a certain setup. I don't mind the 40T run time in the Odin Mini and I sometimes run the wattage up on it.

A bit off topic, but useful if moving to 21700.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There's diffferent color 2x700 battery wraps included with the Odin DNA so, if you don't like the color description, you can always use those─which would be yet another reason for the OP to go buy some nice 21700s just like Bogan suggested. :p

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Also stock up on wraps and insulators when buying batteries.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First & foremost, I have had a few drinks tonight + I'm not up on recent batteries. I checked out moochs post on battery ratings & didn't see anything on watt hour. I'm confused on watt hour ratings. Higher is better, right? I'm currently using hohm life 18650. In my triade, I'd go to bed on a normal day at roughly 50%. So if I switch to the odin running 21700, what can I expect if I upgrade to that size & not run the sleeves for 18650?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
There's different hohm life 18650's, diff specs. So your usual wattage is, what?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also stock up on wraps and insulators when buying batteries.
When it's time to go put some of my batteries in the battery recycle bin, I just keep the top insulating rings (just the ones that are still in perfect condition), and then I wrap the whole top (positive) end of the battery up with scotch tape before I toss it. A very small hole in a battery wrap I tend to simply repair with a small drop of superglue, especially if it's an older battery that I don't plan to continue using for longer than just a few months or so... not worth the extra effort of rewrapping it if that happens to be the case IMO.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
First & foremost, I have had a few drinks tonight + I'm not up on recent batteries. I checked out moochs post on battery ratings & didn't see anything on watt hour. I'm confused on watt hour ratings. Higher is better, right? I'm currently using hohm life 18650. In my triade, I'd go to bed on a normal day at roughly 50%. So if I switch to the odin running 21700, what can I expect if I upgrade to that size & not run the sleeves for 18650?
The Wh numbers that Mooch lists are in his battery test results. On his personal blog there's a link to all his battery tests, like he explained in this video:

The Wh number is accurately representative of the vaping time you'll get so, yes. Granted, the efficiency of the board inside a regulated mod can skew results, but DNA boards are known to have great efficiency. Aside from that, there can also be slight variations in the vaping time depending on things like the duration of your puffs and how long you wait between puffs, and the temperature of the battery. But these differences are no bigger than a few percent. The only factor that does significantly affect the Wh number is the number of amps that you draw from the battery. The further you stay below the true CDR ("true" = as reported by Mooch in his test results) of a given battery, the more efficiently the battery runs. So at 5A per battery the 50E2 gives 13.7Wh, which is better than the P42A. Whereas at 10A per battery the 50E2 gives only 12.2Wh versus 12.4Wh for the P42A making the latter battery a slightly better choice in pure terms of the vaping time you'll get from a regulated mod.

In any event, staying at or below the true CDR of the battery that you choose is what's always recommended, when it comes to battery safety limitations. A quick 'n easy way to convert watts to amps for regulated mods is to divide the watts by 3, and then divide that by the number of batteries that the mod uses.

EDIT: If, for how you vape, the difference in Wh between two different batteries to choose between turns out to be rather subtle, then I suggest going for the battery that has the higher CDR of the two.

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fast forward to this year and my Centaurus has a very loose fire button right out of the box
My Paranormal 250C had a loosish fire button out of the box though. Looser than my Centaurus actually. Just being honest. Maybe inconsistent manufacturing or something.

The Drone had a known issue with that 510 that they eventually corrected in later runs. I don't know if you knew that. They still shouldn't have released it like that. I have one of the later ones that doesn't leak.

What problem are you having with your battery door on the Centaurus?

I know the mod will be coming apart soon when the shut fire button stops working.
I think you meant fire button here. I'm not in any way trying to give you a hard time with this post at all, but what makes you think it'll stop working? My Paranormal 250C has seen some action with that play in the button and it's still fine. From the feel I suspect they both use the same electronic switch underneath.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Usually around 63 watts. Currently using hohm life. Label says 3077 mah, 36.3A, 20.7 cdr. All bought at the same time.
Mooch says they are about the same as Samsung 30Q 18650, so if you use this:
Samsung 30Q delivers about 7.53Wh versus 12.4Wh for the Molicel P42A
7.53ish x 3 = about 22.5
12.4 x 2 = 24.8

I expect that you'd get the same amount of vaping time from the 2xP42A's as you do with your hohm life x3.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mooch says they are about the same as Samsung 30Q 18650, so if you use this:

7.53ish x 3 = about 22.5
12.4 x 2 = 24.8

I expect that you'd get the same amount of vaping time from the 2xP42A's as you do with your hohm life x3.
The Triade at 63 watts draws something only about halfway in between 5A and 10A, as it is a triple battery mod. As a result from this, I suspect the Hohm Life will deliver a little bit more than 8Wh so, I agree, at 63 watts it will probably be a very close match indeed.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
If your using the batteries from your 3 battery Triade in the Odin, you know you need to keep the ones used in the dual battery as married pairs, right?
When your ready...
At least 4. You could wrap them in colored pairs.
Wraps and insulators - they will already come in cases.

At checkout you'll see that the ship free includes a free gift, which should since they stopped sending fans, be a flashlight that holds an 18650.

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah I know about married batteries. Sounds like dude hooked me up with some. I'll run them through a discharge on the charger a few times & make note of what they take back in. Later on, I'll get new ones. Thanks to this thread, I'll likely get the molicel. Otherwise, I probably would have gone with hohm 21700

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Yeah I know about married batteries. Sounds like dude hooked me up with some. I'll run them through a discharge on the charger a few times & make note of what they take back in. Later on, I'll get new ones. Thanks to this thread, I'll likely get the molicel. Otherwise, I probably would have gone with hohm 21700
Nothin wrong with perfect ! :D

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If your using the batteries from your 3 battery Triade in the Odin, you know you need to keep the ones used in the dual battery as married pairs, right?
Wrong. Despite the obvious fact that keeping the batteries as married sets is still very highly recommended with the vast majority of regulated mods (and parallel/paraseries mechs), DNA boards are known to not overdischarge any of the batteries, as the lowest battery will always trigger the voltage cut-off so it will stop, and, balanced charging inside the mod is pretty accurate to 4.2V also in addition to this... so, with the Odin DNA, the only thing you need to worry about in this regard is that you may lose a little bit of vaping time if sets aren't married, but this performance loss is still within fairly reasonable limits─at least if you don't mix together old and new batteries anyway.

If you have an external battery charger that can measure the mAh number, even if the measurement isn't very accurate, you can still measure it with a battery that is still new, and compare that measurement to that of an older battery of the same exact make and model (and doubly verified they are exactly the same batteries like you normally do when you buy them as a married set). Up to 20% loss in capacity rating is considered to be still an acceptable margin according to the major battery manufacturers... the point being you can use that as a reference to get a handle on battery aging.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My Paranormal 250C had a loosish fire button out of the box though. Looser than my Centaurus actually. Just being honest. Maybe inconsistent manufacturing or something.

The Drone had a known issue with that 510 that they eventually corrected in later runs. I don't know if you knew that. They still shouldn't have released it like that. I have one of the later ones that doesn't leak.

What problem are you having with your battery door on the Centaurus?

I think you meant fire button here. I'm not in any way trying to give you a hard time with this post at all, but what makes you think it'll stop working? My Paranormal 250C has seen some action with that play in the button and it's still fine. From the feel I suspect they both use the same electronic switch underneath.
It's only happened once but the fire button didn't work randomly. When I shook the mod and slid the button around it worked again. No mod should have a button this loose get by QC. Also the battery door doesn't stay latched and will pop open.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also the battery door doesn't stay latched and will pop open.
On the Centaurus?

The battery door on the Drone has never been great, but it's shiftiness doesn't really bother me that much personally.

Last edited:

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
On the Centaurus?

The battery dooe on the Drone has never been great, but it's shiftiness doesn't really bother me that much personally.
Yes on the Centaurus...I haven't picked up my Drone since March 2019.

Even when pushing the tab as hard as I can to make sure it's slid all the way over it still pops open from time to time. It's never latched by itself out of the box like I've seen others do in reviews. I almost feel like the locking tab is too short.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes on the Centaurus...I haven't picked up my Drone since March 2019.

Even when pushing the tab as hard as I can to make sure it's slid all the way over it still pops open from time to time. It's never latched by itself out of the box like I've seen others do in reviews. I almost feel like the locking tab is too short.
Yeah it shouldn't have cleared QC like that, but you got a wonky one. Mine snaps securely shut when I push it closed. I would try to get an exchange personally.

VU Sponsors