Become a Patron!

Need a new tank - .4 or higher sub ohm

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Read a few other threads about new tanks but they are a year or more and/or looking for something different than what I want, so I'm starting a new thread. I've been using a Zeus sub ohm tank with .4ohm mesh coils for about 2 years now. Been having taste issues and I think it was solved in another thread about the 'new' z coils being made with different mesh. I used to get a month out of a coil but now they taste like sh!t after 2 days. At only 25 watts, these shouldn't be burning up in 2-3 days! Def not buying more of these.

Are there any tanks that use .5ohm - .7ohm coils? Does that even exist? I vape at 25 watts so even the .4ohm I'm using are rated for 40-50 watts so I'd prefer to match up with my wattage if possible... this may not even matter, might just be my ocd. Otherwise I'll stick with .4ohm. I like the 5ml bubble tanks, not an issue for me. I am not abusive but def want something that doesn't leak - really takes the fun out of it if I have to wash my hands and wherever it was sitting every time I pick it up.

Not looking for expensive state of the art stuff, $25-$30 is plenty for a tank IMO (add on ridiculous shipping and I'm already at $50 without coils. I have a couple smok tanks that seem to do ok (V8 coils) and a cerberus that came with my Aegis Solo mod (uses the v8 coils as well). Don't want to drip, I want to fill my fat tank and vape away - low maintenance! Tried building my own but I got frustrated and dont care to spend all that time building coils. Have a brand new Ryujin Elder Dragon from WoToFo still sealed in plastic. Can't remember what I had that I was trying to build with but got frustrated, gave up and got the Zeus sub ohm tank.

Probably asking for the impossible but wanted to throw it out there to get some suggestions.

recap - similar to what others are asking for...
1 Doesn't leak
2. 5ml tank
3. coils easy to obtain and at a reasonable price - willing to pay more if they last like the Z coils did in the beginning
4. .5-.7 ohm if possible

Thanks for your help and suggestions!!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
IMO
Before chasing a subohm tank:
idkw building Elder Dragon was difficult, but long term for an RTA you can buy already wound coils without breaking the bank. Follow a couple simple vids on installing and prepping the coil, then how to wick it which is the easiest of all. I'm thinking you'd like the vape enough from ED to no longer want to buy sub ohm coils or tanks.
You can get a good RTA, coils, & wick for that same 50 and when you need to buy something it will only be the pre wound coils, that can be cleaned and reused. 1 pk of CBP lasts me seemingly 8 months.
But you probably know all that.

Here's an idea of what I would vape before buying coil heads.

Can't say that aiming for a wattage is a good idea. Perhaps in the context of wattage for a resistance. That depends on application too.

My 2¢

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You might check Central Vapors for the Voopoo PNP Pod tank. The tank is $9.49 and the coils are $12.45 for a box of 5. They have several different 0.6 ohm coils in the PNP line. I think CV's shipping is fairly reasonable for the times we're living in.

I like the 0.3 ohm ones, but the PNP coils I've used have been great and have held up well. I use rebuildables almost exclusively, but bought a couple of Drag X kits that came with pod tanks and PNP coils, so I used those and they were very good. Just my opinion, but it doesn't seem too exorbitant a price to pay to try them. Also I had NO leaking from those PNP Pod tanks.

They ain't pretty, but they get the job done.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Vape Fan
It was a Griffin 25 that I was building on. The Elder Dragon is still wrapped in plastic, unopened. Bought all this stuff 3+ years ago after extensive reading/questions here. Just pulled it all out and there is a pack of Skynet prefab coils. I tried those too but with no success.

Yes, it's the coil building that had me frustrated, even with prefabs. I bought a kit, several types of cotton, etc, etc. Still have all that stuff. Perhaps prefab coils will provide the solution I am looking for but I had issues even with them. Even with the prefabs, I was still having a lot of issues with leaking and getting these prefab to work the way I wanted. Not touching the wrong thing/not working, not the ohm I wanted, leaking, too much cotton, not enough cotton, leaking... Perhaps there is something better on the market than what I have here.

As for wattage - I have always been a low wattage kind of guy. Can't for the life of me understand why anyone would vape at 50+ watts. Before I learned about locking my mod, it would get cranked up in my pocket to 50-100 watts and I'd take a hit, not noticing what happened... instant fried coil, burnt to a crisp, nasty, choking - think I'm going to suffocate - kind of experience. Before sub ohm came out, I vaped at 10-12 watts.

Still not sure I want to deal with building. Prefab coils 1.jpgPrefab coils 2.jpgRebuildables.jpgI really liked the simplicity of the Zeus tank where the coil just pops out, 15 seconds and I have a new coil installed - no changing cotton, no leaking - just pure vaping satisfaction, lol.

Are these Skynet coils any good? What would you recommend, precisely, for prefab coils for a Griffin 25 and Elder Dragon?

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, I jumped the gun and should have looked first, lol. I guess I dont NEED a new tank after all. I spent some time looking and digging around. I guess I should be looking into coils and o-ring/gaskets for these...

2 Cerberus, 1 WOTOFO (Flowpro??), 1 Smok tank that came with the Priv V8, and 1 Smok Baby Prince (bubble glass)... and the Zeus tank - so 6 tanks in all and 3 mods. Oh, the Griffin 25 and the Elder Dragon - so 8 tanks. Sheesh, When did I buy all this stuff?!?!?!? I had more than I thought. Looks like they all use the same coils other than the Zeus and the 2 rebuildables..

@nadalama I almost bought a new Zeus and 4 packs of coils from Central Vapor... Had the exact same stuff in 4 diff carts from 4 diff suppliers and Central Vapors was best price. I'm glad I didn't buy that stuff.

Anyone know who carries gaskets/o-rings for this stuff?

So glad I came across that other post talking about the crappy "new" Zeus coils. I set up these other tanks with new coils to see if they leak and put diff flavors in them that I made on the 3rd. None have a rank aftertaste except the Zeus tank with a 1 day old coil - tastes like garbage, nasty aftertaste! Took a while and a few posts but finally figured out the nasty flavor I was getting! Garbage coils never entered the equation in my mind!

Current gear.jpg

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't get stuck on a specific ohms and/or wattage (there are so many different coils that have different ohms and work well at different watts)
I got a Vaporesso Revenger X kit (love the touchscreen dual battery mod and the NRG tank) The original coils that came with it were a bit much for me but then I tried the GT core coils (GT4 dual mesh) Even though they are 0.15 ohms, and rated for 50 + watts, I vape them at 45 watts and love it! They also last a long time. It is not a hot vapor at all.
Many people love the Freemax coils (forgot the name of the tank) and the Cerberus (that you already have) Many of these "sub-ohm tanks" can interchange coils. Don't be afraid to use a lower ohm coil but vape it at lower than rated watts. I don't have lots of experience with these kind of tanks but have seen many reviews (and comments on forums)
Yes... lock the settings on your mod! Once hit a 25 watt coil with 220 watts (it was a RTA with a NiChrome wire that instantly melted... oh boy did that taste good)
I totally understand about building (but I'm good at that) It's not for everyone but keep in mind some of the tanks can use a RBA (it might be a good option to have some day) iJoy makes one for my NRG tank (looks nice but haven't tried it yet) and it works in many other tanks.
There was another popular tank but my memory is not so good (and many people do like the Smok tanks)

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
It was a Griffin 25 that I was building on.
Ah ha ! Great - You're all set up! Cept for future attys.
Those coils are ok for starting out, and should work well and provide good flavor. No wonder, I don't like those old school vertical posts like Griffin either. Esp duals and esp for a first build, and I bet that's the biggest reason for for the disinterest.
Don't need a dual coil RTA/other to get awesome flavor, and those vertical posts have gone by the wayside.

Build the Dragon, make sure the solid pin is in if your going to drip it. Use one of those .6Ω. If you don't have a coil jig to cut the legs to length, by eye is easy just a little long on the first cut till you see how close you are and if a bit short on your 2nd cut your 3id rod will hold it over the post holes [as long as not too short] while you screw them down, snug not overtighten. Coil height is as high as it is with the rod running through it on the RDA, and you can hold it in place while you tighten, then adjust it to center. Put it on your meter and pulse/strum/pulse till it's firing inside out, and no little sparkles or flare ups [hotspots]. For wick inside the coil, as long as its not so tight it starts moving the coil, a little nudge is ok, and can be as loose as feeling some resistance as you pull it through. You can feel that the cotton makes a good rub on the inside of the coil. Make your wick long enough to pull on each end so you can back and forth it w/2 hands. Cut/fluff the tail ends a little and place it in there. Run juice across the coil a few times and give it a pulse / repeat / see that all the wick is wet.
Check resistance on meter. Check it again on mod to see that its consistent.
Visuals on YT. 1st time? Maybe 30min from getting things out to putting it away.

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud:

ps. forget about griffin, at least until you have some builds under your belt, and by then I bet you still won't want to build it.

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Glad to hear it was a simple as bunk coils. Usually get a couple bad ones from time to time but I guess when they change material all bets are off.

Take VapeFans advice and build the Dragon. Once you have a properly placed coil you can reuse it over and over, sometimes for months depending on use. When it gets gunky just pull the cotton, a few quick pulses at 10 watts or so to burn off the gunk, rinse and rewick.
After a few times you'll find it's just as fast and easy as changing pre-built coil. Costs a penny instead of $2-4....

If you find dripping to be a bother put it on a squonk mod. No leaks, no fuss, and no muss. Now your tank is a 7-10 ml bottle, just give it a squeeze.....soon you will wonder why you used tanks for so long, 😉

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@BobsHere

Interesting... Never tried a squonk.

I guess I'll check YouTube again for some instructional videos. It's been a couple years since I 'battled' that Griffin. I'll break out the Dragon and give it a try. Are those pre made coils I posted ok or would you recommend something else?

Any specific squonk mods you would recommend?

Thanks!!

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@BobsHere

Interesting... Never tried a squonk.

I guess I'll check YouTube again for some instructional videos. It's been a couple years since I 'battled' that Griffin. I'll break out the Dragon and give it a try. Are those pre made coils I posted ok or would you recommend something else?

Any specific squonk mods you would recommend?

Thanks!!
Those pre mades are fine to start with. Stick with it, may take a little time in the beginning. Once you get it, you got it.
When you're ready for a squonk mod just message me, I'll send you one. 😀

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just watched a YT vid for building the ED... WOW that was soooo much easier than the Griffin and I understand all the little things about a build now, or at least a lot more anyhow. I'll def play around with making my own coils too since I have everything to do that! Since I don't have a squonk, I changed the pin... this is probably why the griffin leaked so bad, lol, I didn't know about this. The included coil cutting guide is new to me too. The coil master kit I got doesn't have one of those so I didn't know it was a thing. I guess I should have opened this ED years ago instead of assuming it was just like the Griffin. This will be just what I need for testing new flavors. Instead of using a $3 coil, I can just do a quick cleaning and change the cotton. I like the cotton that came with the ED.. the aglet on the end makes it easier to thread the cotton but I have plenty of other cotton I'll just twist for the time being. I am completely blown away by how simple this was.. after struggling for hours trying to build that Griffin - what a nightmare that thing was. The clouds and the flavor from this thing are incredible.... NOW I see what all the hype is about! A nic buzz to boot! I mix at 10mg so it would seem I can cut that back moving forward which should make the flavor even better.

I can't thank you all enough for pushing me to try the ED! so freaking simple, so freaking awesome!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Are there any tanks that use .5ohm - .7ohm coils? Does that even exist?

TL;DR: You can use nearly any gear with nearly any coil set up. Don't be a dick and shove what you like on others. We all can use what we like and it's alright. Peace.

Note: OP, I'm not saying you're pushing any specific product on anyone. No, this is going on by the mass market of vaping gear. Nobody explains a person doesn't say need brand X Super Duper Tank 2000 to use coil Zed at wattage 65 with a half twist of airflow, or whatever. That lets vendors push more and more gear sales because folks don't know. Obfuscation creates ignorance and leads to higher profits, ergo you get flooded with all these whiz-bang "new" and "improved" gear, which ultimately really isn't.

Wanted to address this as to me it seems to confuse people. Most any atomizer will accept and use most any ohm rated coil.

What does that mean?

Say you have a Cloud Womper Galaxy tank and a Misty Mountain Range RDA. In the RDA you're using a coil some vape shop clerk put in telling you it was a 0.35 coil. You can use that coil barring it isn't too damaged in the tank, or get a few spares from the clerk. Then, next week you decide the tank needs a 0.50 coil. No big problem. Strip out the 0.35 and install the 0.50 coil.

Why is it like this?

For one thing these are commercially made products. Making them a "standard" is needed. I joke and say I could us an anchovy tin for a mod and thimble for an RDA. It seems a little humorous joke, but it also puts the truth of how standard vaping gear has been made. With standardizing comes uniformity, interchangeability. Users can use most any ohm rated coil in most any tank or RDA.

Why did I present this?

People seemed to think you needed X brand tank for Y ohm rated coils. This idea was getting people all confused and frustrated. Use what you want, like you want to use it. This is the whole of the law of vaping, along with do not create Holy Wars out of what someone else uses.

There's nothing served by shoving your likes down another person's throat. Ultimately you'll not have friends doing that and you might also find other more dire consequences. Think of all the Holy Wars this world has already seen, still think we need more? If so, "C'ya!" I'll truck on my merry and you on yours.

Want peace? Live peacefully. Too simple? Come walk by me as an equal, I don't lead or follow. Do I know where I'm going? No. I'll get there quicker, though. :)

The point is you don't need chained up to brand X tanks/RDAs to enjoy your vape the way you desire. You don't need tied to one ohm rated coil either. Play, try different things and see what you like. Find what you like? See and abide the Law of Vaping above. --- > Consumer education 101 now dismissed for the day, thank you. Office hours posted nowhere so bugger on!

Last edited:

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@MyMagicMist Makes sense... I've been vaping for 14 years but haven't kept up with the tech. It was such an issue in the beginning that it seemed like if I didn't follow the guidelines to a T, it wouldn't work, so I was stuck in that mentality. I vaped before that. WAY back, my dad started vaping when there were just a few guys beilding mods. You had to order one, wait for him to build it, ship it and make your own juice or buy that from him too. There were no vape shops anywhere. I tried for a bit but went back to cigs until mods were more accessible. Made some great 1 flavor mango juice back then. No idea what I was using but have not been able to replicate it. I have 9 different mango flavorings, none of them are good on their own. This is an issue for another part of the forum.

It makes sense in today's terms that everything is interchangable and the more I read, the more I realize this. I guess my OCD led me to follow manufacturing structures. ie .17ohm for 60-70 watt, etc, etc. So in my mind, I was wanting to match ohms with my preferred watts. After building this incredibly simple Elder Dragon last night, I quickly realized i needed 35 watts to get it to heat up fast enough. I'm not an electrician and need to hone up on ohms law, as it applies to me needs.

Thanks for your input. I will run through the plethora of coils I have to see what I like. It "seems" to me that the higher the ohm, the less watts are needed to heat it sufficiently. I would prefer lower watts as I feel like it's doing less damage.. but am probably wrong in that idea as well. I'm not interested in "making big clouds", I'm interested in something that doesn't taste like I'm licking the garage floor that supplies the nicotine my mind and body crave.

Before I switched to sub ohm, I was using 24mg nic juice. After just an hour using the Elder Dragon with 10mg juice, it seems I can go down to 5mg juice so this is suddenly making sense why so many juices out there are in the 3-5mg nic arena.

My understanding just went from overly complicated to incredibly simple. Thanks to all who endulged my ramblings.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Just watched a YT vid for building the ED... WOW that was soooo much easier than the Griffin and I understand all the little things about a build now, or at least a lot more anyhow. I'll def play around with making my own coils too since I have everything to do that! Since I don't have a squonk, I changed the pin... this is probably why the griffin leaked so bad, lol, I didn't know about this. The included coil cutting guide is new to me too. The coil master kit I got doesn't have one of those so I didn't know it was a thing. I guess I should have opened this ED years ago instead of assuming it was just like the Griffin. This will be just what I need for testing new flavors. Instead of using a $3 coil, I can just do a quick cleaning and change the cotton. I like the cotton that came with the ED.. the aglet on the end makes it easier to thread the cotton but I have plenty of other cotton I'll just twist for the time being. I am completely blown away by how simple this was.. after struggling for hours trying to build that Griffin - what a nightmare that thing was. The clouds and the flavor from this thing are incredible.... NOW I see what all the hype is about! A nic buzz to boot! I mix at 10mg so it would seem I can cut that back moving forward which should make the flavor even better.

I can't thank you all enough for pushing me to try the ED! so freaking simple, so freaking awesome!
Mission accomplished ! :stars2::cloud:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My understanding just went from overly complicated to incredibly simple. Thanks to all who endulged my ramblings.
Great news! Welcome to the world or building. Lear how to do a "dry burn" of your coil before doing the wick (short pulses at lower watts than you expect to use while vaping) This also helps you see "hot spots". Then learn to "strum" your coils to even out hot spots. Check out the building forums here:
https://vapingunderground.com/forums/general-rebuildable-discussion-rta-rba-rda.43/

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I would suggest 6 mg/ml juice (it is a common number available) Don't confuse this with 6 % which is 60 mg/ml. Yes, a single coil RDA is great for testing mixes (DIY) So easy to pull out the cotton, put more in and test another flavor/mix (a quick "dry burn" helps before putting in new cotton) If you are using a RDA for this, you don't even need long wick "tails".
For actual dripping and vaping, make sure to "prime" the coil and wick after building. If you did a dry burn when building (at lower watts) it can also give you a good estimate of how many watts to vape at (it will be higher because the coil now has juice on it) Start low, then work your way up till you find the sweet spot. Have fun!

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would suggest 6 mg/ml juice (it is a common number available) Don't confuse this with 6 % which is 60 mg/ml. Yes, a single coil RDA is great for testing mixes (DIY) So easy to pull out the cotton, put more in and test another flavor/mix (a quick "dry burn" helps before putting in new cotton) If you are using a RDA for this, you don't even need long wick "tails".
For actual dripping and vaping, make sure to "prime" the coil and wick after building. If you did a dry burn when building (at lower watts) it can also give you a good estimate of how many watts to vape at (it will be higher because the coil now has juice on it) Start low, then work your way up till you find the sweet spot. Have fun!
Thanks, yeah, I read about and did the dry burn on the build deck/ohm tester. I use the 99juices calculator/recipe creator - pretty handy imo. OCD - Anal - Detailed... Call it what you will. Pictures tell it all. Once I switch over to Squonk, I'll cut back to 6mg/ml... maybe - getting used to it already.

Juices.jpgView attachment 197118

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
oops... may have infringed a bit with that recipe.

If you developed that recipe, it's fine - this is your thread and you can post whatever you like in here (as long as it complies to forum rules). If it was developed by someone else, please give credit to the original developer, and specify the site the recipe came from (99recipes?). Then you're all good.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you developed that recipe, it's fine - this is your thread and you can post whatever you like in here (as long as it complies to forum rules). If it was developed by someone else, please give credit to the original developer, and specify the site the recipe came from (99recipes?). Then you're all good.
Thanks for the clarification. I have no idea where I found that as I've visited 8-10 sites looking for recipes, then entered them into the 99juices calculator to customize to my liking. While I used different brands for 3 of the flavors and set the Nic, PG and VG levels to my own liking when I entered it into 99juices (the recipe I found didnt have nic, vg or pg listed in it), I did copy the flavor names and percentages from someone, somewhere ... so I took it down. Wasn't posting it as a recipe, but as an example of how I document and do my mixing. This also isn't the diy juice forum so technically, it doesn't belong here and could very well go against the forum rules in that respect. As innocent as my intentions were, I don't want to cause any issues, so I removed it.

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, I jumped the gun and should have looked first, lol. I guess I dont NEED a new tank after all. I spent some time looking and digging around. I guess I should be looking into coils and o-ring/gaskets for these...

2 Cerberus, 1 WOTOFO (Flowpro??), 1 Smok tank that came with the Priv V8, and 1 Smok Baby Prince (bubble glass)... and the Zeus tank - so 6 tanks in all and 3 mods. Oh, the Griffin 25 and the Elder Dragon - so 8 tanks. Sheesh, When did I buy all this stuff?!?!?!? I had more than I thought. Looks like they all use the same coils other than the Zeus and the 2 rebuildables..

@nadalama I almost bought a new Zeus and 4 packs of coils from Central Vapor... Had the exact same stuff in 4 diff carts from 4 diff suppliers and Central Vapors was best price. I'm glad I didn't buy that stuff.

Anyone know who carries gaskets/o-rings for this stuff?

So glad I came across that other post talking about the crappy "new" Zeus coils. I set up these other tanks with new coils to see if they leak and put diff flavors in them that I made on the 3rd. None have a rank aftertaste except the Zeus tank with a 1 day old coil - tastes like garbage, nasty aftertaste! Took a while and a few posts but finally figured out the nasty flavor I was getting! Garbage coils never entered the equation in my mind!

View attachment 196972
I didn't read the whole thread so not sure if this was mentioned:

Wotofo makes rebuildable mesh coils. They're vertical just like factory coils. They're called SMRT kits. The one for the V8 Baby Beast has 3 different kinds of mesh, two of them being for lower power. Since you set them up yourself, they don't cost as much as factory coils.

As for setting them up, I found it to be a piece of cake. There's demonstration videos on YouTube.

If you are willing to give conventional rebuildables another shot, I'd suggest avoiding cheap variety pack coils. To me, there's nothing better than RDAs. I use Elder Dragons all the time, but not really below 50W. There's probably something better for your desired wattage range. The right rebuildable set up can be pretty fantastic though.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Just Frank - Thank you! I like wotofo and did run across those SMRT kits the other day but wasnt sure what they were exactly so thanks for that info! I'm def switching to a BF RDA but have 3 packs of coils to use as backups in my other tanks. Might try the SMRT kits one day though - sounds like a quality product.

My main concern at this point is finding BF RDA's that work for me and will prob just buy pre-made coils from a VU member until I'm ready to make them myself. I do have a multipack of cheap coils that I'll use just because they are here and paid for. I have some wire that came with the Coil Master Kit, so I do have something to practice with.

I have to say though, I tried the ED at 50-60 watts and did not get the flavor I get at 35 watts. Just my style I guess or perhaps the juice I'm using. I'm not so concerned about that aspect - I've always vaped at watts MUCH lower than the coils are rated for over the years without issue, and I can fine tune as I go.

You seem to know your sh!t and have been around for a while so I am interested in learning who (coil builders) and what (BF RDA's) you would recommend. I was looking at wotofo recurve v2. Seems like a good starting point for double coil builds since I can use it for single coil builds too... but I dont know what I'm doing so that's why I'm asking.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Just Frank - Thank you! I like wotofo and did run across those SMRT kits the other day but wasnt sure what they were exactly so thanks for that info! I'm def switching to a BF RDA but have 3 packs of coils to use as backups in my other tanks. Might try the SMRT kits one day though - sounds like a quality product.

My main concern at this point is finding BF RDA's that work for me and will prob just buy pre-made coils from a VU member until I'm ready to make them myself. I do have a multipack of cheap coils that I'll use just because they are here and paid for. I have some wire that came with the Coil Master Kit, so I do have something to practice with.

I have to say though, I tried the ED at 50-60 watts and did not get the flavor I get at 35 watts. Just my style I guess or perhaps the juice I'm using. I'm not so concerned about that aspect - I've always vaped at watts MUCH lower than the coils are rated for over the years without issue, and I can fine tune as I go.

You seem to know your sh!t and have been around for a while so I am interested in learning who (coil builders) and what (BF RDA's) you would recommend. I was looking at wotofo recurve v2. Seems like a good starting point for double coil builds since I can use it for single coil builds too... but I dont know what I'm doing so that's why I'm asking.
I'd recommend the Nitrous RDA if you're interested in trying both. It comes with two different top caps. The airflow is sort of optimized for whichever configuration (Single or dual coil) you're using.

I've always preferred vaping single coils from 50 to 60W. I started spinning my own wires a couple of years ago. The coils I'm using now (Compared to before), is like night and day. I've tried lots of different things, and have found what really works for me. When you make your own complex wires/coils, you can really fine tune the experience. I know not everybody's interested in having a wire hobby but it's been very rewarding. Sometimes I think to myself, people don't know what they're missing (I get insane flavor 😁). Then again, everybody's different and prefers different things.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd recommend the Nitrous RDA if you're interested in trying both. It comes with two different top caps. The airflow is sort of optimized for whichever configuration (Single or dual coil) you're using.

I've always preferred vaping single coils from 50 to 60W. I started spinning my own wires a couple of years ago. The coils I'm using now (Compared to before), is like night and day. I've tried lots of different things, and have found what really works for me. When you make your own complex wires/coils, you can really fine tune the experience. I know not everybody's interested in having a wire hobby but it's been very rewarding. Sometimes I think to myself, people don't know what they're missing (I get insane flavor 😁). Then again, everybody's different and prefers different things.
Picked up a Nitrous RDA, arrived yesterday and I did a single coil build with the bigger/heavier coil supplied in the kit

On two different mods (same brand/model - Geek Vape Aegis Solo -one old, one new) it's keeps asking me to verify a new coil. One alternates between .454 and .455ohm and the other alternates between .455 and .456ohm. I'm using them to drip until my squonk mods arrive. I am not sure if it's the Aegis causing the issue or if there is something about the Nitrous that makes the mods think it's a new coil on almost every hit...

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!!

Nitrous 1.jpgNitrous 2.jpg

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
You have the solid pin in there, right?
Post screws snug on coil leads.
510 snug/tight on RDA.
Clean 510 on mods/RDA.
The differences in resistance in normal. Could be slight variation in coils temp at the time.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
510 snug/tight on RDA.
Clean 510 on mods/RDA.
The differences in resistance in normal. Could be slight variation in coils temp at the time.
What vape fan said.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
510 snug/tight on RDA.
Clean 510 on mods/RDA.
yes solid pin is in, couldn't even budge any of the screws, I clean female side of mod where rda post screws in with alcohol q-tip anytime I change or remove a tank/atty.

Yeah, not a major difference but (apparently) enough to make it tell me to verify new/old coil. Hadn't really noticed before that it checks to the thousandths of an ohm on this mod. The main display, while in use, only shows to the hundredth of an ohm but that screen where it asks if it's a new coil shows to the thousandth...

Seems to have "leveled out" after a bit of use and is not doing this now - did it for the first 20-30 hits but has stopped since I posted this, lol - much like my car when I take it to the shop and it runs like a champ even though it was stalling and surging 10 minutes before I got there.

Hundredth.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Could also have been a tiny little piece of loose wire somewhere in the deck. It probably jumped right out when it figured out you were serious.

:cuss2:

:teehee:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Lock the resistance, if possible.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks to everyone who helped with this... ever since posting, it's not doing it... and I dont intend to use the Geek Vape Aegis Solo except for drip testing flavors on occasion so it's not a big deal - was just concerned it was the new Nitrous RDA and if that was the case, wanted to get it sorted out or replaced asap.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks to everyone who helped with this... ever since posting, it's not doing it... and I dont intend to use the Geek Vape Aegis Solo except for drip testing flavors on occasion so it's not a big deal - was just concerned it was the new Nitrous RDA and if that was the case, wanted to get it sorted out or replaced asap.
If it has a spring loaded 510 might check for movement. May be seized with juice gunk...

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes! I have a mod that for some reason doesn't like the 510 on some tanks (they don't quite reach far enough down) No issues with gunk (very clean) and even if I gently pry the spring loaded center part up (with small bent tip pick tool) it still sets too low (but works on most of my tanks... only one or two have issues) I actually measured this with an automotive ties tread tool (not accurate but I could see a small difference from my other mods) If it's a gunk issue, use a q-tip with alcohol (not too much but enough so a little bit gets down in there) and then push on it a few times to loosen it up. Do this several times. make sure it's dry before testing.
Are you the one that used a RDA with the squonk pin and it leaked?

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it has a spring loaded 510 might check for movement. May be seized with juice gunk...
Not spring loaded and I clean the 510 insert on my mods with alcohol q-tip regularly.

Havent had a problem since the original posting so it somehow fixed itself.

Since it's working fine on both mods, it leads me to think it was the rda...

Perhaps a flake of metal left over from machining that is now stuck to the cotton rather than the coil??? I will look closely when I change the wick.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you the one that used a RDA with the squonk pin and it leaked?
Yeah, I did this but it didn't leak.. It wasn't this mod or rda either. And I don't think I posted about it. I posted about a leak issue when tipping mod that was due to a paint flake from a peeling mod preventing the juice from drawing back into the squonk bottle.

Leave it to me to have all the weirdest issues possible - it's just my style, lol.

VU Sponsors