Become a Patron!

Need help

ShawnEvans

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Planning on building a lipo pwm and I have my build planned out the only thing I don't understand is what gauge copper wire to use to solder it all together with. I've heard most people use 14 or 16awg. I know it needs to be solid. But can someone explain pros and cons of each gauge. Im guessing something to do with resistance, voltage drop, and amp limits but any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

ShawnEvans

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A 1590p1 enclosure to put it all in. It was the only box I could find to fit the lipo I want in(don't have access to a 3d printer)

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Use 14 ga solid, you will need it for the watts you want to pull.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Stranded carries more current than solid for the same gauge. Also less stress on connection points.
14 ga stranded is good for about 40 amps at 12 volts dc.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
While solid is a PITA to work with in small spaces you can expect better results.

ShawnEvans

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anything I can do to safely vape above 40 amps the lipo is rated for around 180 continuous. I'm not gonna go above 80 just don't want to be limited at 40

Kriegers_clone

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok I'm planing on a crazy build for this month, I already have a couple custom made Hammond 1590bb quad 18650 parallel box's made that hit like a brick wall so I know the basics how to do it. Although my next project is 6 parallel 18650 I already know I'm going to need a couple mosfits an resistors but I'm just not sure of which ones to use. I'll be using 12g solid copper wire for everything being 6 in parallel. Any advice?

VU Sponsors