Netflix Shows a Tiny Peek at Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio just got its first teaser trailer, promising a wildly different take on the classic fairy tale. After over a decade in production, Del Toro’s Pinocchio was finally announced by Netflix just a few years ago. Now, this new teaser showcases Del Toro’s first stop motion film with a rather cool, if very brief, clip.

And it features none other than Ewan McGregor.

Pinocchio retells the classic fairy tale from Carlo Collodi in which a wooden puppet is magically brought to life to aid the broken-hearted woodcarver, Geppetto. It’s a familiar story that has been brought to the big screen before – most famously in the 1940 Walt Disney animated feature.

But while this tale has been told before, Del Toro leans into it, promising a new take.

“It’s a story you may think you know, but... you don’t. Not really,” says Sebastian J. Cricket in this first teaser trailer. “You see, I, Sebastian J. Cricket, was there. As a matter of fact, I lived, actually lived, in the heart of the wooden boy.”

The new teaser trailer may only be around 30 seconds long, but it already looks about as enchanting as you might imagine.

Del Toro’s take on the classic is something of a passion project and has been in the works since 2008.

"No art form has influenced my life and my work more than animation and no single character in history has had as deep of a personal connection to me as Pinocchio,” he said when the film was greenlit in 2018. “I've wanted to make this movie for as long as I can remember."

Ewan McGregor voices Sebastian J. Cricket alongside an impressive cast including David Bradley, Tilda Swinton, Christoph Waltz, Finn Wolfhard, Cate Blanchett, John Turturro, Ron Perlman, Tim Blake Nelson, and Burn Gorman.

Newcomer Gregory Mann will star as Pinocchio.

Guillermo del Toro directed the movie based on a script he co-wrote with Patrick McHale. Del Toro is also producing the film, along with Lisa Henson, Alex Bulkley, Corey Campodonico, and Gary Ungar.

Pinocchio debuts on Netflix in December 2022.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors