Netflix's Maya and the Three: Exclusive Clip and Release Date Reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Netflix has announced the release date for its upcoming animated series, Maya and the Three, which is set to premiere globally on Friday, October 22, 2021.

IGN can exclusively reveal a clip featuring Zoe Saldaña's Maya, which you can watch in the video below, or at the top of the page. Here's how director, executive producer, and co-writer Jorge R. Gutiérrez describes the scene:

"This clip is from the first time our Eagle Warrior Princess Maya (Zoe Saldaña) faces Acat (Chelsea Rendon), the goddess of tattoos, in our epic fantasy world. Inspiration for this fight came from everything like Street Fighter 2, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Kill Bill, Ninja Scroll, and a chola fight I saw in Tijuana."

Gutiérrez went on to talk about what inspired him to create the series. "Maya and the Three was very much inspired by the warrior women in my life (my wife, sister, and mother) and my love of fantasy films, books, and video games," Gutiérrez told IGN. "I always dreamt that if the camera went a bit more south they would eventually get to people that looked like us. Our event series is all these fantasy dreams coming true for me."

Here's how Netflix describes Maya and the Three: "In a fantastical world, where magic turns the world and four kingdoms rule the lands, a brave and rebellious warrior princess named Maya is about to celebrate her fifteenth birthday and coronation. But everything changes when the gods of the underworld arrive and announce that Maya's life is forfeit to the God of War — a price she must pay for her family's secret past. If Maya refuses, the whole world will suffer the gods’ vengeance."

Be sure to stream Maya and the Three when it debuts on Netflix on October 22, 2021. And for more Netflix, check out everything new to Netflix in September, our review of Lucifer Season 6, and the biggest fall TV titles dropping later this year.

David Griffin is the TV Streaming Editor for IGN. Say hi on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors