Become a Patron!

New Build - Burnt battery

Hey guys. Three days ago I bought my Wotofo Phantom mod with a Tobeco Turbo. Being fairly new to this, I told the vape shop guy I wanted to try out a coil build. I picked out the mod and he suggested the things that went with it. So i put together this combo. The cashier built the coils and put the whole thing together. It worked good. I went home happy.

I used it a few more times at home and then it just stopped producing any clouds. It was just a tiny stream of vapor and the mod was getting hot. I took the battery out and noticed burn spots on the bottom and burn spots on the contact switch. I took it in to the shop the next day and they replaced the battery. I went back to the car and sat there for an hour hitting it periodically. Same thing, hot battery and started noticing the burn marks coming back. I went back inside and they just scraped off the burn marks with a steel wool. I took it back home and noticed another tiny burn mark. Today I used it at work and again, more burns marks showing up and the mod gets hot after about 3 hits. Anybody know what could be wrong? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 74
  • battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 81
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 78
  • coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 74
I had seen a video on youtube of a guy with the Wotofo Phantom also and he had a similar issue. He said it was the battery arc'ing to the contact switch plate.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Make sure everything is tight
Usually the cause is a lose firing pin. Take a screw driver and tighten it down.

Thanks dre. I did as you suggested and they were already on there good. I put the battery back in and tried it, but just my luck, its not firing again. Once again theres just a tiny plume of vapor and no sound at all. The contact plate and battery have more burns/arc marks. I'm hoping the vape shop will allow me to swap it out for a completely different build.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah or it could be the battery wrap not allowing full flat contact when the switch is thrown. I'd try tightening up the switch contact first

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With the switch out check if the contact is fully touching the battery when pushed.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also don't let the dude put a build lower then .20 ohms if your just starting out. Also those batteries aren't good for anything lower.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looking at those pictures it's definitely arcing out from poor contact. Without being there and seeing it I can't tell you anymore. If the Vape shop you got it from doesn't swap it out or is not able to fix it try taking it to a different place. Might just be that no one in that store is very knowledgeable !

JoeyTheMad

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree with @dre, those batteries are suspect to begin with. I would take it back and have him swap it out since he sold you the whole setup and built your mod. A .2 ohm setup is pretty low to start with.

Yeah, there are a ton of reports about that brand of battery if I'm not mistaken, they buy Samsung or Sony & rewrap them putting the constant voltage what is actually the jump voltage. Sorry if I'm mistaken or am using the wrong terminology, I've just seen a lot of talk about it & it was in a pink wrapper.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you get a new battery use a pencil eraser to clean off the burn marks on the contacts. It works well.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I saw mark todds review of this thing...to me it seems to good to be true...rhodium plating,gold plated spring...for that price? smells funny to me. I'd also check to see if your atty contact is protuding down past the atty far enough if it's just flush it could be shorting out when the battery hits the atty and not the contact.

TwitchVaperMVG

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The Phantom has some horizontal battery rattle with certain attys in hybrid mode. That loose connection might be what's causing the arcing. Try using a button-top battery, or using the alternate top cap + pin that came with the mod.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Go with the eraser cleaning method, if that mo worky try ultra fine sandpaper.
But take that switch apart and clean and tighten it up, MXJO, samsung 25r, samsung or IMR or nothing for the battery.
Next strip that mod and atty the hell down to pieces and clean it, make sure there is no flash (mfg. crap) metal flakes or wire clippings fucking up the contact. (melted a nemmy switch from it arcing off a piece of flash in the top cap). put it back together and make sure all sit flush tight and ready to rock.

Rekonball

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like the battery is dumping tons of power all at once and over heating. What is the ohm of you coil?

Haadkoe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm beginning to to wonder if its an issue with the rhodium plating. This is very similar to what was happening to the Amod SMPL's when EDS and AMOD parted ways. Contacts on the button and battery were arcing and it was literally pitting the contact on the bottom of the battery as a result.

Food for thought, anyway.

VU Sponsors