Become a Patron!

New builder on the block.

FAsoldier85

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I made a previous post in the cloud chasing section about a possible tank setup for moderate clouds, I'm still stuck on going with crown/evic mini or crown/rx200 combo or both. In either case this subtank/subox mini combo I have will be my tester. I admit that I utterly and completely suck at wicking, I either cut the wicks to wide causing dry and/or burned hits, or too narrow causing flooding.

I ordered this exact set http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T75YBE0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 I figured I'd take the time to learn how to wick correctly as I eventually want to build on the tank decks building coils is relatively easy, I'm just having a hard time cutting the proper length and width of cotton. watched tutorials and the pancake method worked for a few minutes until it started massively flooding. So my question is what aprox. width should I be aiming at when I cut cotton for a 3mm diameter coil?

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just test and play with it. Cut a piece that's possibly too large. You can always pull some cotton off. Make it tight but not so tight you're pulling your coil out of place. Not so loose it just loosely moves around.

Sent from my Phablet

FAsoldier85

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The concept of setting the wick once within the coil I have, my problem is the width, but like you said, test and play... I also been vaping and ordered 80/20 vg/pg, surely I would have to account for the thicker juice, hence why I can't wait to get my hands on a tank with an adjustable flow because if I under wick I can compensate by closing the juice flow a bit (at least that's my understanding of it)

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The concept of setting the wick once within the coil I have, my problem is the width, but like you said, test and play... I also been vaping and ordered 80/20 vg/pg, surely I would have to account for the thicker juice, hence why I can't wait to get my hands on a tank with an adjustable flow because if I under wick I can compensate by closing the juice flow a bit (at least that's my understanding of it)
Not using enough wick on an RBA head may cause a leak.

Sent from my Phablet

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
for my tank RBA, i trim the tails fairly short for high VG juice. after they have been pancaked, i lightly stuff the rest of the cavity with a little loose cotton. push the cotton back from the feed holes and you should be good to go.

the short tails allow for quick juice pickup for the coil, and the extra cotton helps to prevent leaking.

FAsoldier85

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got the pre built coils and cotton today, they were alil big for the kanger RBA but I worked it in so far aside from one bad dry hit its been behaving, I would like to perfect it on a PITA like the kanger RBA before I move to something easier. When I rewick i'll play with the length I cut at AFTER I pass it through the coil as that now seems to be my problem

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
this is by far my favourite SMT/RBA build video:
it covers a ton of material in 3mins.

FAsoldier85

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those coils that I got, because they were a bit too big for the deck I basically took them apa rt, and rewapped. Same diameter but 4 wraps yielded me .3 ohms which is the lowest this setup will fire.

Wicking amazingly, no dry/burned hits no flooding and that's with 80/20 juice and I think a 50/50 vg/pg.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    773.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    841.5 KB · Views: 10

VU Sponsors