Become a Patron!

New Builder - Phenotype-l Noisy Cricket

VapeMChance

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello I am new to the forum, however I've been lurking for about a year. I've been vaping for a year or two now for the longest time I was satisfied with sub-ohm tanks for there ease and convenience. I have recently got into rebuildables and can never go back!!! Anyway I'm very excited to finally join the forum and finally really started building my own coils yesterday. I have a pretty good understanding of safety which I've always put first. I hope this question is in the right category.

So I am doing a build for the Noisy Cricket series unregulated mod and a phenotype-l. I have built regular more basic mods with no problem, but since this is more advanced I wanted some opinions.

I built a 24 AWG Kanthal A1 12 wraps on 2.5 mm which comes out to about .45-.48 ohms
I was going for around .5 but according to my calculations and steam engine it should still be fine.
I'm using LG HG2 batteries with a 20 AMP continuous this build should be pulling around 18 Amps when fully charged... here are some pictures.

Sorry for how long this post is but here is the real quesiton...will this build work with a series mod or will it have problems (ie. melting, to hot, unsafe) Thanks all!IMG_2017.JPG IMG_2016 (1).JPG

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It will be a very warm vape, hotter then most would enjoy....

.6-.8 is the sweet spot, Try some 26g with the same specs for a more tolerable build.

VapeMChance

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i've had three other coils on this setup a .54 ohm clapton that the vape shop put in when I bought it... I also put a .6 and .7 in both with 24 gauge... the .47 I just put in is the first one that has fast enough ramp up time and for me it's not too hot at all. I'm actually very happy with it. The clapton was a nice resistance, but I find the ramp up time to be to long and they seem to hold heat.

My question is since I like the way the coils vape is it safe? The amp rating seems to be right, but I like to make sure I'm being safe... Thanks for the super quick response BTW!!!

(I think the reason it's not to hot is because I like to take shorter 1-3 second pulls plus the Phenotype has MASSIVE airflow.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i've had three other coils on this setup a .54 ohm clapton that the vape shop put in when I bought it... I also put a .6 and .7 in both with 24 gauge... the .47 I just put in is the first one that has fast enough ramp up time and for me it's not too hot at all. I'm actually very happy with it. The clapton was a nice resistance, but I find the ramp up time to be to long and they seem to hold heat.

My question is since I like the way the coils vape is it safe? The amp rating seems to be right, but I like to make sure I'm being safe... Thanks for the super quick response BTW!!!

(I think the reason it's not to hot is because I like to take shorter 1-3 second pulls plus the Phenotype has MASSIVE airflow.
Its 8.4V man, What Ramp up time???

As long as your in the specs for the batteries it should be safe, the continuous discharge specs are always a nice baseline to use knowing that you have some headway above that since your not draining them continuously.

VapeMChance

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its 8.4V man, What Ramp up time???

As long as your in the specs for the batteries it should be safe, the continuous discharge specs are always a nice baseline to use knowing that you have some headway above that since your not draining them continuously.

Haha I just read some of your posts in the same section about building for the Noisy Cricket and I think what has been happening is it's all been to big of gauges... For instance the claptons that the shop put in were huge had to be at least 30/26. I do have some 26 AWG wire I think I'll take your advice and build some .6 coils. Although I'm going to leave the build in for a little bit. I don't know if it was like this for anyone else when they first started building, but I've changed the coils in almost all my RDA's 2 or 3 times in the past 24 hours!!! Just tinkering and trying to get the best possible setup for me!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Haha I just read some of your posts in the same section about building for the Noisy Cricket and I think what has been happening is it's all been to big of gauges... For instance the claptons that the shop put in were huge had to be at least 30/26. I do have some 26 AWG wire I think I'll take your advice and build some .6 coils. Although I'm going to leave the build in for a little bit. I don't know if it was like this for anyone else when they first started building, but I've changed the coils in almost all my RDA's 2 or 3 times in the past 24 hours!!! Just tinkering and trying to get the best possible setup for me!
Yes some 26g Core with 38g+ outer wrap should do nicely with 7-8 wraps and a ID of 2.5-3mm. Thats my favorite for series.

Its a trial and error when your first start, after a while you gain experience and can gauge what will come out to what resistance and so on and how to change the variables in between. It just takes time, dont think we all learned in a blink of an eye....Ive been building for some time now!

VU Sponsors