Become a Patron!

New Chip 'n Dale Movie Includes the Least Expected (and Ugliest) Video Game Cameo

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Warning: this article contains spoilers for Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers, now streaming on Disney+.

The new Chip 'n Dale: Resuce Rangers movie has landed on Disney Plus today, and it features the strangest cameo we've seen in a long, long time. Two scenes in the film feature a video game character in their ugliest form, making for the least expected appearance of 2022.

If you're avoiding spoilers for what may be Disney's strangest film ever, then leave now.

About ten minutes into the movie, chipmunk Dale is shown to have a booth at the fictional Fan Con in Los Angeles, which he's attending as an increasingly irrelevant cartoon character. He's in an isle of other lesser-stars, watching on as The Jungle Book's Baloo gets to star on stage. And opposite Dale's booth is...

The original, scrapped character design for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie. Or, as he's known in this movie, 'Ugly Sonic'. Yes, we're as confused and amused as you are.

The scene is brief, but features 'Ugly Sonic' at a stand with various posters showing off his alternate roles in films that are not Sonic the Hedgehog. Rather than voiced by Ben Scwartz, this version is played by Tim Robinson of 'I Think You Should Leave' fame. Ugly Sonic dreams of a successful future where "they'll like me for who I am - not like last time when the Internet got one look at my human teeth and burned the place down."

Sonic turns up around an hour later, too, where Chip is (naturally) disgusted by his teeth.

This version of Sonic was seen in the very first trailer for 2020's Sonic the Hedgehog, and was redesigned after fan outcry. The new version is much closer to the video game version of the character, and has been used for both the original and sequel films.

For more, check out our review of the very meta Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers. And believe me, Sonic is just the start of the weirdless. There's even a Kingdom Hearts reference in there.

Matt Purslow is IGN's UK News and Features Editor.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors