Become a Patron!

New Easy to use PC E-Liquid Calculator - Vapor Lab BETA Looking for feedback!

Jacob1264

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello Vaping Underground mixologists!

UPDATE 7/15/2015
Sorry for the huge delay in updates, I have released version 0.9.6.2
It's still certainly not complete but I have fixed a lot of bugs and made some performance tweaks.
I have also included an update notification feature, so you will be notified when updates are released.

We have been developing an easy to use, intuitive, and powerful e-liquid recipe calculator called Vapor Lab. It is currently in BETA so there are some bugs / incomplete features.

I have included all TFA and Capella flavors pre-loaded into the database.
Everything is stored in the database.vldb SQL database file.
file.php

Changes for 0.9.6.2
Many bugfixes including memory corruption and saving problems.
Vapor Lab now checks the internet for available updates.
Added ability to re-size the main window.
Removed combination box for recipe selection, added Recipe menu to main menu.

Changes for 0.9.5.7
Added support for drops measurement. In the menu press "View" and "Show drops"
Added Windows setup executable
Greatly optimized many database routines.
-Database setup takes seconds instead of minutes
-Batch activation/deactivation takes seconds instead of minutes
Re-worded some UI labels
Fixed some recipe import bugs
Added Flavour Art Flavors
Added Flavor West Flavors

Added Open Recipe menu item
Added prompt for new recipe name when copying recipe
Added "Open database file location" menu item to Backup menu

Fixed many minor UI bugs

Downloads & More Info:
Check out our official thread for downloads and more information!

I will be keeping an eye on this VU thread so feel free to ask any questions or post any feedback!
Thank you everybody!

Last edited:

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Looks nice! I like that you have both ml and weights, sweet. :)

Do you have any plans to add FA flavors to the db as well?

What are the prerequisites for running this app?

Thanks!

Jacob1264

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks nice! I like that you have both ml and weights, sweet. :)

Do you have any plans to add FA flavors to the db as well?

What are the prerequisites for running this app?

Thanks!

Pre-reqs are a Windows PC with .NET 4 runtime installed.
I am working on adding FA as we speak actually :D

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Excellent! I use a lot of FA flavors as do others here so I think that will be a big plus for your app.

I have been avoiding .NET like the plague due to it's many issues but I may have to relent. :)

Jacob1264

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah .NET has it's history.. I'm hoping most users have the runtime installed by default by keeping their copies of Windows up to date.
Since .NET has opened it's source though it is very likely that I will be porting the entire application to the open source version. I have been looking into porting it to MONO but it's quite difficult with the current state of the project.

Jacob1264

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you going to have it converted to android app?
I haven't really thought about porting it specifically to android. I haven't really been following the android e-liquid calculator scene.
Do you think there is a desire for this kind of functionality on the Android OS?

If I am going to port it to MONO / (Unknown new open source .NET project) then I might as well include functionality for Android.
I would say yes, look forward to seeing Vapor Lab on the Play Store after version 1.0 is released.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's good. I try to have programs on both my laptop and phone for my vaping. You never know when you might need a quick reference to something.

Looks good! I would definitely translate into Android. Also, I have used many calculators and many recipe caches. Is there a way that we can enter our inventory into the program and it can find recipes we can make with what we have? Im not sure of how that actually works, but I'm sure it can be done. I just hope enough people are interested to justify the cost.

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
+1 Android

* Vaping since Halloween 2014 in NY state *

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
+1 android

* Vaping since Halloween 2014 in NY state *

Jacob1264

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's good. I try to have programs on both my laptop and phone for my vaping. You never know when you might need a quick reference to something.

I like this idea, it should be possible to synchronize the data automatically over WiFi with your PC version if you use both.
I get it guys and yes I am officially recognizing the huge demand for an Android port and so an Android port will be a higher priority after the design and database schema aspects are finalized.

Looks good! I would definitely translate into Android. Also, I have used many calculators and many recipe caches. Is there a way that we can enter our inventory into the program and it can find recipes we can make with what we have? Im not sure of how that actually works, but I'm sure it can be done. I just hope enough people are interested to justify the cost.

Yes busterbeenie! This has actually been a planned feature from day one, and one that I am more excited about seeing come to fruition.
There is a planned system to upload and store public / shared recipes for reference based on inventory.

There really is no cost except for maybe neglecting some of my other projects, I just enjoy programming and creating useful tools that other people may also enjoy :D

Would like to try it out but where do I download it and is it only for pc

Skinner, currently Vapor Lab is PC only, but that is going to change. Look forward to Vapor Lab for Linux (Mono Port), Android (Mono Port), and eventually OSX (Native xCode / Cocoa API)
Unfortunately I have no plans to release an iOS in the near future, but once the OSX version is coded it may not be too difficult to run it on

The informational thread is located here: https://stormyvapors.com/vaporlab/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8
The direct download is located here: https://stormyvapors.com/vaporlab/Vapor Lab 0.9.2.12f BETA.rar

I have linked to the "All Flavors Activated" version which means Vapor Lab assumes you own all of the flavors so that you may easily begin mixing with The Flavors Apprentice and Capella Flavors.

FA and FW flavors will be included by default very soon!
You can always add your own flavors and components.

I have been very busy but except a downloadable update within the next couple of days.

Thank you for your feedback!
Stay classy VU

ok have tried to download and install but when I do all I get is a cartoon flipping his fingers, what am I doing wrong.

Jacob1264

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
same with me...help please!
Eep, that's the "no database found" case, it's trying to set up the database for the first time.

Vapor Lab is looking for the database where the program is placed and not in a proper user directory. Make sure that Vapor Lab.exe, database.vldb, and the two .dll files are in the same directory. The .dll files are the sqlite database interface, the .vldb is the database itself

T

Taver13

Eep, that's the "no database found" case, it's trying to set up the database for the first time.

Vapor Lab is looking for the database where the program is placed and not in a proper user directory. Make sure that Vapor Lab.exe, database.vldb, and the two .dll files are in the same directory. The .dll files are the sqlite database interface, the .vldb is the database itself
awesome thank you, got it going

normzilla

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Please make this a pay for app. As a community, we should help and support all the hard work.

This will be a release buy for me.

Thanks for everything you've done

Sonar505

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Modder
Ok you said you wanted feedback. Maybe I am missing it but I checked the screenshots on your site and can not find. What about those of us that mix by drops especially with FA flavors but also with wizard labs glass bottles TFA, LA, And Caps. I use glass eyedroppers that I know how many drops per ml and can be set on the calculator I currently use.

dnezarmichael

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice app so far, really like the whole flavor database, very useful for figuring out what you have at hand.

Jacob1264

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I posted a new version with many optimizations and the flavors you want. Is there anybody using the old version that would like help upgrading?

msjs91011

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Jacob, your email address jacob at stormy vapors dot com bounced. I also cant register to the forum because the captcha input recognition is broke. Finally, I wanted to email something privately, but here's the email anyways...

hey there, i wanted to make a very good recommendation for your application. I spent a half an hour inputting all my flavors and costs etc. Now I want the app to run a search for recipes that match 1 or more of the flavors I have. Something like that would turn this pc app into one that you should require 5 bucks to have lol. Hopefully you can make it happen!

Also, side note, I cannot register to the forum on stormyvapors.com it keeps rejecting my captcha code, saying i didnt enter it correctly. When the image has "186" on a mailbox and I enter 186, sorry but i know I am not wrong lol. Might wanna check into that. I know them forum softwares can be a major pain.

Please let me know if my idea is something you'll use.

msjs91011

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Finally, can you set up an email list or automatic updating inside the app itself so we can be notified one of those ways?

faithalone

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Following and thank you so much and +1 for an Android app!!

Jacob1264

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry about the delays everybody! I am going to implement a patching system to download future updates.
The preloaded flavors db is not done in it's entirety and will be overhauled in the future to make it easier to deal with so many flavors

Also I think across the board I have like +200 Android requests so that will definitely be the first non-windows version

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This looks really excellent Jacob, thank you. I just registered on your forum but I haven't received the activation email, so I can't post there yet. Tried to login to see if I could get it re-sent, but it won't let me. It's not in my spam. Maybe it's just slow, but would be great if you could re-send if possible.

I just started using the program tonight, here's my running list of feature requests and minor issues.

I know it's a lot, but please don't think I don't like the program! It's already clearly miles ahead of e Juice Me Up, which is functional but very basic. I can just see the potential for amazing juice software - in fact I had been considering writing my own before I found yours. It would be awesome if yours continues to advance.

I don't know your motivation for making this, whether you have commercial aspirations or whatever - but if you made it open source, I for one would certainly contribute.

Anyway, here's my list so far!

Missing DB flavours:
  • FA Cornish Cream Tea (UK only I believe)
  • FA RY59 (UK only I believe)
  • FA Catalan Cream
  • CAP Sweet Cream
  • CAP Vanilla Custard v2 (has 'Vanilla Custard' but differentiation might be useful)

Feature requests and bugs:

Flavor & Component Management
  1. Feature request: provide an import utility.
    1. I have my flavours in Excel and would be excellent if I could import from CSV. I have only 23 and it didn't take too long, I am sure others have hundreds.
  2. Feature request: bulk update of fields (Bottle Size; Cost)
    1. You have all TFA as 15ml, Cap as 13ml. All flavours I got in the UK were in 10ml bottles, and I had to go through every record updating one by one.
    2. Provide a bulk update facility so I can change every value of field X for vendor Y. Also, have field defaults (Bottle Size; Cost per bottle) as fields against Vendor, with UI to set these so they default for new rows created for that vendor.
  3. Feature request: Flavor/Component type (lookup table)
    1. Component Type might be "PG", "VG", "Nicotine", "Alcohol", maybe others
    2. Ingredient Type I would use for "Dessert" / "Fruit" / "Tobacco" / Complex mixture" / etc.
    3. As with Vendor, this should be a dropdown editing a look-up table, with a popup to add/edit types.
    4. One list of Types for Component, another for Flavor.
    5. Ideally, pre-populate with some useful sample types
    6. User must be able to edit/add/remove types.
  4. Feature request: Currency. Allow setting my currency and symbol and show accordingly.
  5. Feature request: Quantity (of bottles), and Remaining (in each bottle)
    1. It would be great if I could use this as my stock cupboard. This requires that I can specify how many of a given bottle I have, and how much is in those bottles.
    2. Ideally it would then cross-check my stock against the amount required for a given recipe, warning if I don't have enough. It would then auto-decrement the stock quantity once I had told it that I had made a recipe (requires a new concept of a Mix - one Recipe can be Mixed multiple times, at varying sizes.)
  6. Vendor should be a dropdown, not free text - with separate Add Vendor button leading to popup.
    1. Otherwise risk of duplicated vendors with typos. Plus highly desirable to have concept of a Vendor, e.g. for defaults as mentioned above.
  7. Hitting Save resets the sort order
  8. Hitting Save immediately after ticking Active will reset the Active field on that row (presumably only saves Active after field is left?)
  9. Bottle size field - has extra spaces at the end, e.g. "10 "
  10. Keyword search should default to insensitive, as this is most common/expected - have separate tickbox to enable sensitive if that's important
  11. Add New button, to avoid the need (and risk) of selecting an existing row and then Save New each time
  12. Save: "Are you sure?" dialog to confirm overwrites (ideally with tickbox "Don't ask me again")
  13. PG / VG fields should auto-fill such that they total 100 combined; eg. 50 in PG should set VG to 50.
  14. Cost per bottle: limit to 2 decimal places
Main window
  1. Feature Request: Defaults. I want to be able to default any field, and save that as a defaults / template. Especially my nicotine settings, but also Amount to Make.
    1. Ideally, have "Recipe Templates".
    2. I can save any recipe as a Recipe Template. Have a UI element that allows me to select a template. This fills in all the fields that the template specifies. All fields should be nullable, meaning that the field will be blank for the user to fill in. Flavours can be selected as part of this template.
    3. So I might create a template for "Zero nicotine" or "60/40", defaulting those fields appropriately but containing no flavours. I might also have templates that contain some ingredients, but which I will also add to (are not full recipes on their own.)
  2. Feature request: PG, VG and Nicotine should be Components that be added, if for example I want to add a fixed amount of extra PG to this recipe.
    1. For PG/VG, I could already add these to the DB myself, so really the request is just to pre-add them.
    2. Nicotine would be especially good as Component, because it's available in different strengths and a user might have multiple types.
      1. Allow a user to add Nicotine as a Component, specifying its strength and PG/VG.
      2. Remove the individual Nicotine Base fields from the main window, replacing with a dropdown that selects from all Components of type Nicotine.
      3. Provide some standard Nicotine Bases, including "Zero Nicotine", with the software. e.g. 54 / 72 / 100 mg.
    3. (This feature request applies also to the Flavor/Components section.)
  3. Feature request: allow specifying flavor/concentrate in mL instead of %
    1. Example: I currently have 9ml left of Cornish Cream Tea. I want to use all of it. I don't want to have to figure out what % of the total bottle size that will be, I just want to put in that I'm using 9ml.
  4. Feature request: Multi-pane window, with list of recipes a separate table at the top.
    1. Clicking the recipe name populates that recipe in a separate Edit/View window (Which looks like the full window does now.)
    2. Allow me to click on other recipes without always having to save the one I'm editing (in other words, keep multiple open in memory at once) - only prompt to save on exit. This would allow me to quickly check other recipes then return to the one I'm editing, without having to always save (or lose) changes.
    3. Search/filter bar on top of the list of recipes.
  5. Flavor/Concentrate dropdown should be multi-column, showing vendor as well.
    1. Essential to differentiate between like-named flavours - currently this is handled in the DB because you give them different names, but that's messy.
    2. Ideally, put a pop-up search form here - with my 23 flavours it's OK, with hundreds it'd be a pain.
  6. Exception bug: Right click in the Flavor & Components window when empty
    1. System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: InvalidArgument=Value of '65535' is not valid for 'SelectedIndex'.
      Parameter name: SelectedIndex
      at System.Windows.Forms.ListBox.set_SelectedIndex(Int32 value)
  7. Adding flavours is not intuitive - took me a while to work out I needed to hit enter after filling the %! Have an Add button or similar
  8. Flavor/Component % field - should be one wider, to accommodate two decimal places
  9. Actually, Flavor/Component list should just be an editable table, with blank/new row at end
    1. Lose the static dropdown and % and make the ingredient list a standard, editable table, where the last row is blank for adding a new item. This table then has the Flavor/Component dropdown and a % field as now.
    2. I can then easily edit any existing component, without having to click on it and then click in a separate edit field then hit enter to commit the change.
    3. I can also easily delete any existing item using an X button or similar, rather than right click (though that should be provided as well.)
    4. And it's clear as can be whether I'm editing an existing row or adding a new one - currently it's not (e.g. if I clicked on a row then change my mind and want to add another - if I just change the dropdown, I've changed the existing row; I need to remember to press enter in the % to commit that change, which will clear the dropdown so I can add a new row..)

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Hello Vaping Underground mixologists!

We have been developing an easy to use, intuitive, and powerful e-liquid recipe calculator called Vapor Lab. It is currently in BETA so there are some bugs / incomplete features.

I have included all TFA and Capella flavors pre-loaded into the database.
Everything is stored in the database.vldb SQL database file.
file.php

Changes for 0.9.5.7
Added support for drops measurement. In the menu press "View" and "Show drops"
Added Windows setup executable
Greatly optimized many database routines.
-Database setup takes seconds instead of minutes
-Batch activation/deactivation takes seconds instead of minutes
Re-worded some UI labels
Fixed some recipe import bugs
Added Flavour Art Flavors
Added Flavor West Flavors

Added Open Recipe menu item
Added prompt for new recipe name when copying recipe
Added "Open database file location" menu item to Backup menu

Fixed many minor UI bugs

Downloads & More Info:
Check out our official thread for downloads and more information!

I will be keeping an eye on this VU thread so feel free to ask any questions or post any feedback!
Thank you everybody!

I downloaded this, and am playing around with it..

first.. I loaded up a recipe, I am guessing..
i picked all my flavors and saved them..
they show up in the flavor list.. button far top right..

however.. I can not get the list to show as in your pic above..

also, this is pretty much an international forum, and you are missing some Amercian flavors from at least Flavor Art, from what I can tell..
I can not find Mixed Nuts..

I also joined your forum.. no account email from the site.. so cant log in..

I do have beta experience, I am beta with a calculator named EzMix
http://www.vitalsparks.com/ez-mix.html

but the creator there is a bit busy and I need something decent, easy to work and store recipes in..

I need a bit of help please..

TheBloke

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
With regard to your problems, can you give a bit more detail as to exactly what you're doing and what you're clicking. Also read my comments above yours, I mentioned how to add flavours to a recipe (and how it's not very intuitive at the moment - which might be your problem.)

To add a flavour, you use the Flavor/Component dropdown in the bottom left to select your pre-saved Flavour from the DB. Then you type the % in the % field, then you hit enter on your keyboard while you are still in the % field. That will add that flavour to the ingredient list, and the recipe on the right side will automatically update. Then you repeat for the next flavour(s).

My guess is that you didn't hit enter in the % field - and this confirms what I said in my previous post, that it's currently not very clear how you add flavours! :) Hopefully Jacob will change this; I have suggested a simple table for adding flavours, where as soon as you fill out one flavour, a new blank row is added in which you enter the next. This should be clearer and easier.

I do have beta experience, I am beta with a calculator named EzMix
http://www.vitalsparks.com/ez-mix.html

but the creator there is a bit busy and I need something decent, easy to work and store recipes in..

I hadn't heard of EzMix. So it's not finished, or doesn't work right? Or is the problem that it won't save recipes?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
To add a flavour, you use the Flavor/Component dropdown in the bottom left to select your pre-saved Flavour from the DB. Then you type the % in the % field, then you hit enter on your keyboard while you are still in the % field. That will add that flavour to the ingredient list, and the recipe on the right side will automatically update. Then you repeat for the next flavour(s).

My guess is that you didn't hit enter in the % field - and this confirms what I said in my previous post, that it's currently not very clear how you add flavours! :) Hopefully Jacob will change this; I have suggested a simple table for adding flavours, where as soon as you fill out one flavour, a new blank row is added in which you enter the next. This should be clearer and easier.

yeps, that was the missing step and late at night.. user boo boo ;) thanks very much..
and yes, I agree there should be an easier way to insert saved data.. will give it another shot..

there should be ways to add flavors into yours as well.. will tinker.. ;)

I hadn't heard of EzMix. So it's not finished, or doesn't work right? Or is the problem that it won't save recipes?

I have over 800 saved recipes on ezmix.. and one part is finished, I direct everyone i know to use it.. best calculator ever..

the other part is for commercial users.. that is the end bit I am beta on.. due to life circumstances, his project is at a halt right now..
having to roll my time every time i gain access to the program i need, well it does cause havoc on my laptop, small issues..
and was hoping to find something similar to what I am using atm..

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Would love to see which vendor I am adding when creating a recipe and adding flavors from the drop down. Would also love to maximize the window. I was just playing and those were the first to things that drove me nuts. Can see with a little bit of work this could be my favorite juice app. Love how it calculates cost. Can see it will take some time to get everything set up to my own such as adding what I pay for flavoring etc but this definitely is off to a very good start. Cant wait to see what future tweaks might bring :)

VU Sponsors