Become a Patron!

New from S. Florida

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been vaping for 11 months now and after lurking on all the forms for information, I finally decided to join you guys. Vapingunderground seems to be the most informative without all the drama. I was very reluctant to join any forum, but after beginning to DIY a few months back, the most helpful information always seemed to be here, AND the guilt of lurking here started to get to me. I'll probably be hanging out at DIY/Recipes mostly. I hope I can be as helpful as you all have been to me. Thanks for having me.

Sooooo... HI:D

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Welcome @Squonk! Florida native here myself, but haven't lived in FL for a while. I won't promise you won't find some "drama" here at VU, but probably not much in the DIY section. It's a great site and you'll find great info and some really good people.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Than
Welcome @Squonk! Florida native here myself, but haven't lived in FL for a while. I won't promise you won't find some "drama" here at VU, but probably not much in the DIY section. It's a great site and you'll find great info and some really good people.
Thanks rolltidevaper. Your not missing much here in Fla.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello, fellow south Floridian.

I disagree about missing much. Florida is a very unique and diverse state. There's just a whole lot of "meh" in the middle... ...just vast pockets of serious humanity and heat rage. It's a weird mix of extremely progressive and staunchly conservative folk. That and retirees... ...lots and lots of retirees.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to VU, Squonk! Glad to have you here.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the VU.

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hello, fellow south Floridian.

I disagree about missing much. Florida is a very unique and diverse state. There's just a whole lot of "meh" in the middle... ...just vast pockets of serious humanity and heat rage. It's a weird mix of extremely progressive and staunchly conservative folk. That and retirees... ...lots and lots of retirees.
Well said!!! I grew up in the middle (Brevard), but moved to Pensacola when I was a teenager. From Pensacola to Miami is like 2 different countries. I always say Pensacola is in the deep south and Miami is in the deep north :)

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow! Thanks for all the welcomes. I guess I've been in Fla. too long (43yrs). It was great as a kid but, now it's become overcrowded and snowbird/tourist season is pure hell. I live in Eastern S. Palm Beach county. Not all bad though, I live close to the beach and enjoy metal detecting there.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always say Pensacola is in the deep south and Miami is in the deep north :)
Haha, very accurate. Just ignore the weather.

Wow! Thanks for all the welcomes. I guess I've been in Fla. too long (43yrs). It was great as a kid but, now it's become overcrowded and snowbird/tourist season is pure hell. I live in Eastern S. Palm Beach county. Not all bad though, I live close to the beach and enjoy metal detecting there.
Ahhh, yeah I know the area. I'm right next-door in Martin County. Pretty much a smaller version of PBC, ie, vanilla regions. Nice places with too many people.

We didn't used to be too bad with the snowbirds, but it's gotten pretty bad over the past 5 years. Small towns are becoming increasingly more urbanized. Traffic down us-1 is a nightmare in the fall/winter season. It still has its little locally-kept nooks and crannies, though. The day to day does suck when the weather gets nice and all of the rich folk come down, but there are still places you can go that aren't overcrowded.

But what can you do? They give our economy a huge boost every year. Most of them don't work or make money here. They only spend it.

I personally spend most of my time on the beaches/rivers or in the scrubs myself. I know of places around here where tourists would never think to go to. And they're beautiful. If only they knew, they'd steal them from me.

Last edited:

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I personally spend most of my time on the beaches/rivers or in the scrubs myself. I know of places around here where tourists would never think to go to. And they're beautiful. If only they knew, they'd steal them from me.
Keep it a secret. Like the Eagles song..."You call someplace paradise, kiss it goodbye"

munchy_cool

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to VU.
Even I am from South Florida, Doral to be more specific. @robot zombie - I would love to know about those places where I can spend some time in peace :)

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome-Glitters-62.gif

Hey @Squonk , I just did the same thing, I figured it was time to stop lurking in the shadows and come out to play. I don't live too far north of you, I'm in Martin County. Its nice to see someone else from the 6th boro on here. @robot zombie where are you in Martin Co? I'm in Hobe Sound.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU.
Even I am from South Florida, Doral to be more specific. @robot zombie - I would love to know about those places where I can spend some time in peace :)
I dunno that region to well, but hey, find your own! A lot of my favorite spots, I never would have found if I hadn't been touring on bike or foot. All of sorts of great little parks, reserves, and beaches exist within all of these little neighborhoods. The only people who go to them live there and they're generally very nice and out of your business. And then, there are others that are just completely away from civilization... places off of empty stretches of state roads and a1a. Google maps helps. Those little historic bars and restaurants outside of the downtown areas are nice, as well. I think this applies to most places in south Florida. Ask around with the locals. They'll give you a push in the right direction if they can trust you enough.

Hey @Squonk , I just did the same thing, I figured it was time to stop lurking in the shadows and come out to play. I don't live too far north of you, I'm in Martin County. Its nice to see someone else from the 6th boro on here. @robot zombie where are you in Martin Co? I'm in Hobe Sound.
Hey, neat! I live right up on the south end of Stuart, maybe a mile away from Rocky Point! Small world. I wonder if I've ever seen you at Fog-E-Vapor before lol.

Last edited:

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd love to get up to Stuart to hit the water for some metal detecting.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome from Breazy ! Glad to haveyou here !

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd love to get up to Stuart to hit the water for some metal detecting.
Ehh, we're mostly riverfront. Hutchinson Island's where it's at for beaches, but most of that is St. Lucie and Ft. Peirce even though Stuart is right there. The beaches are very nice, though. Lots of them, too!

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always just think of that area as ocean front. We used to head up to Hobe Sound to surf when we were kids. Don't ask how we were able to stuff four of us and our boards in my 72 VW bug.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always just think of that area as ocean front. We used to head up to Hobe Sound to surf when we were kids. Don't ask how we were able to stuff four of us and our boards in my 72 VW bug.
Hobe Sound does get a little closer to the water than we do. Stuart sort of juts inland. I used to know a lot of surfers here in Stuart that were always at HSB.

And I won't ask about the Bug if you don't ask me how I fit four people into a two-door Ford Ranger.

Ever been out towards Jupiter, though? Some real slices of paradise out there.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I was younger, many moons ago, I owned a Clock restaurant in Riviera Beach on Broadway(I know, I know). We used to like to go to Jonathan Dickinson State Park and do the night horse rides. I wounder if they still do that? I like it north of here(Delray Beach) it just feels and smells different/better.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We used to like to go to Jonathan Dickinson State Park and do the night horse rides. I wounder if they still do that?
As of last year, they still did. I haven't been since then, so I couldn't tell you if they still do, but I imagine they would unless something happened.

I like it north of here(Delray Beach) it just feels and smells different/better.
Yeah, that's probably just the swamps, though pollution has been a MAJOR problem. Some places off of the water just smell like literal shit. I can't remember what they're called, but I went out to the mouth of the St. Lucie with a marine biologist to take samples of the the bottom with this claw-box thing attached to a rope and the stuff we pulled up was like black pudding that smelled like concentrated detritus. 80's horror-movie sludge. It's basically a box cut in half on the bottom with hinges on the top. When you drop it into the water, the resistance keeps it open until you tug on a rope that's tied to the ends of the hinges, so you drop it in the water and when you pull it back up after it stops sinking, it closes down on whatever is under it just by way of the dragging motion. It's meant to pick up rocks, sand, and bits of algae.

Iwas holding the rope and I felt it hit rock and sediment as I pulled it back up, but the box was full of what looked like 20-year-old chocolate pudding. I'm talking like a 1x1x1 foot box full of sludge that doubled in size in our collection bin. Like, some all enveloping Sotoshi Kon darkness. Sound effects and all.

He said that it was a layer of microbes several feet thick that basically thrive in the pollution-rich water and starve it of oxygen, thus feeding an ongoing process of decay. I can attest to the mass die-offs of puffer fish that used to live where that stuff is now. There are places where going in the water can be deadly because there are hundreds of dead puffer's floating downstream. We had a scare recently when my buddy's dog went out into some brackish water and brought one of them back to us in its mouth.

Last edited:

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know that area has had some trails and tribulations over the years as far as the water is concerned. They just keep building and there's no more room for every ones crap to go.

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No problem man. People here are super friendly and and very helpful. .

VU Sponsors