Become a Patron!

New Mutants Co-Creator Bob McLeod Slams Movie's Whitewashing, Misspelling His Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The New Mutants co-creator Bob McLeod has taken to Facebook to slam the movie's whitewashing and misspelling of his name. The New Mutants is a group of mutant superheroes in the Marvel Comics universe that debuted in a 1982 comic of the same name. It was written by Chris Claremont and drawn by Bob McLeod. The artist drew each of the characters in his own vision and he's apparently not too happy with the film's depiction of those characters. [widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=x-men-movie-continuity-errors&captions=true"] "I was very excited when I heard they were making a New Mutants movie," McLeod said in a Facebook post made on Aug. 28. "I thought making it into a horror movie was perhaps an interesting idea, but not at all how the characters should be introduced to the public at large. But, hey, my characters in a movie! I never would have thought that would actually happen. But then, I was disappointed that they didn't give Dani braids, although I like Blu Hunt." McLeod continued and said he was disappointed that Rahne, who is played by Maisie Williams in the movie, wasn't a redhead with spiky hair, and that Sam, played by Charlie Heaton, wasn't tall and gawky. McLeod then brings attention to what he deemed "yet another example of Hollywood white-washing." [ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2017/10/13/the-new-mutants-official-trailer"] "But mainly I was very disappointed that Roberto isn't short and dark-skinned," McLeod said. "There's just no excuse. So basically, [HASH=683]#JoshBoone[/HASH] erased everything that I contributed to the way the characters look." To add fuel to the fire, McLeod's name was misspelled in the credits of the movie as it credited someone named "Bob Macleod" as the creator. This is obviously a typo on the film's part but this is arguably something that should have been caught by at least one person in the movie making process. "They couldn't even be bothered to check the spelling of my name sometime in the last three years. And that can't be fixed. That will be on the movie forever. I think I'm done with this movie." [ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2020/08/28/the-new-mutants-smile-clip"] All of this marks another hitch in the movie's tumultuous history in getting off the ground and into theaters. The movie was originally slated to hit theaters on April 13, 2018 but it was pushed to February 22, 2019. Then, it was delayed again to August 2, 2019, and then once more to April 3, 2020. Its final release date was announced earlier this year and it seems Disney is intent on the movie hitting theaters that day. These delays started as production-related before COVID-19 caused even more. It seems the movie will do well in theaters if its Thursday night previews are any indication. If you're looking for some New Mutants action away from the movie screen, check out the 7 best New Mutants comics worth binging and then check out one of the movie's latest trailers released during the official ComicCon@Home panel with director Josh Boone. IGN serves a global audience, so we will be covering films that may be available theatrically in some countries but not others due to local COVID-19 restrictions. Read more on IGN's policy on movie reviews in light of COVID-19 here. IGN strongly encourages anyone considering going to a movie theater during the COVID-19 pandemic to check their local public health and safety guidelines before buying a ticket. If in doubt, stay home — keep yourself and others safe. [poilib element="accentDivider"] Wesley LeBlanc is a freelance news writer and guide maker for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @LeBlancWes.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors