Become a Patron!

Newbie Here!

idjekyll

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got my first vape set up just days ago. Running an ipv d2 with a kanger subtank mini. It ain't exactly kosher in my country so I doubt I'll be getting any other mods or tanks anytime soon.

Just want to ask a few questions.

1. Anyone running the same set up? What's a good coil build for max flavour? Currently running 24 gauge kanthal 5 wraps. I'm getting .36 ohms and 25 watts.

2. Any online shops have special arrangements to sell to those in countries where it's not totally legal?

3. Which battery is recommended? Using a Sony VTC 5 right now.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't know anything about your setup, but Welcome Aboard...!

Someone will answer your questions.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay.

I doubt any reputable suppliers will do anything that is not 100% legit and not really a good thing to be asking in a public forum. (Just my 2 cents)

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just got my first vape set up just days ago. Running an ipv d2 with a kanger subtank mini. It ain't exactly kosher in my country so I doubt I'll be getting any other mods or tanks anytime soon.

1. Anyone running the same set up? What's a good coil build for max flavour? Currently running 24 gauge kanthal 5 wraps. I'm getting .36 ohms and 25 watts.

2. Any online shops have special arrangements to sell to those in countries where it's not totally legal?

Hi there Glad you found us, best thing to do would be to email the sites to see what their policies are, Good luck & nice to meet you!!!
Your questions are fine here, never hurts to ask:):)

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to VU! Glad to have you with us!

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi and welcome. The IPV D2 is a good piece of gear, as is that Sony battery, assuming it is a real one. I wouldn't take it over 60 watts, though; it is only a 20A battery. If you want to go higher than that, try a Sony VTC4 or the LG HD2C batteries. Your coil and wattage are pretty mismatched in my opinion. If you really want to vape in the 25 watt range, I'd suggest a coil more along the lines of .5 or .6Ω. 24ga is a bit heavy for that, you'll be getting better results with 28ga wire, you ask me. If I were vaping at .36Ω coil, I'd probably be in the 60-70 watt range. I have no idea about supplies where you are.

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

In the subtank without getting into advanced stuff I'd prefer a 26g build with 6 or so wraps on a 2.4-2.5 mm bit. Itl be a little warmer at your current wattage and probably up to 30 or so if your wicking can keep up.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

What kind of wire do you have to use? And is there a specific kind of vape you're looking to get?

Instagram: @ohmmage

idjekyll

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi and welcome. The IPV D2 is a good piece of gear, as is that Sony battery, assuming it is a real one. I wouldn't take it over 60 watts, though; it is only a 20A battery. If you want to go higher than that, try a Sony VTC4 or the LG HD2C batteries. Your coil and wattage are pretty mismatched in my opinion. If you really want to vape in the 25 watt range, I'd suggest a coil more along the lines of .5 or .6Ω. 24ga is a bit heavy for that, you'll be getting better results with 28ga wire, you ask me. If I were vaping at .36Ω coil, I'd probably be in the 60-70 watt range. I have no idea about supplies where you are.

What kind of wire do you have to use? And is there a specific kind of vape you're looking to get?

Instagram: @ohmmage

Hi there. Thanks for the feedback. Currently playing around with coils and such. Just order a 26/32 clapton wire and also a 28g wire so we'll see where we go from there. Also waiting for a Velocity RDA and the TFV4 Mini to come as well so you can say I caught the vape bug HARD. I'm just looking for good flavour so any help would be good. Right now I'm on .4-.5 ohms on a 24g 6 wraps. Heard a lot of the Claptons so I can't wait to give that a go.

One more thing. When I wrap using a 3mm drill bit I can crazy spitting on my subtank mini. What gives?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My big concern here is that Sony batteries are the most often-counterfeited out there, the VTC5 especially. I'd look at your source very carefully, and recommend some Samsung 25R or LG HE2/HE4/HG2 for a good battery that can push up to 60-75 watts (75 is kind of pushing it, but should be okay) on a 20A cell.

While I might not go down to 24G Kanthal on a setup like yours, 26G might work out well for you.

Fasttech is your friend - they'll likely ship to anyone, anywhere - but be prepared to wait. I can't comment on customs for your mystery location, but that might be your real enemy.

idjekyll

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My big concern here is that Sony batteries are the most often-counterfeited out there, the VTC5 especially. I'd look at your source very carefully, and recommend some Samsung 25R or LG HE2/HE4/HG2 for a good battery that can push up to 60-75 watts (75 is kind of pushing it, but should be okay) on a 20A cell.

While I might not go down to 24G Kanthal on a setup like yours, 26G might work out well for you.

Fasttech is your friend - they'll likely ship to anyone, anywhere - but be prepared to wait. I can't comment on customs for your mystery location, but that might be your real enemy.

My VTC5 comes from a reputable shop here with proof of authenticity so I guess it's fine. Although I got other wires coming, may I know why 24g on my set up is unfavorable to most?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thicker wire is going to lead to more ramp-up time, particularly when you're using it at a lower power delivery setting (I only use 24G on builds I'm firing above 40 watts) - a thinner wire will get hot faster, delivering better performance for lower-powered builds. And with a Subtank, I'm not sure you could get enough airflow to get much more power - I certainly couldn't, even after drilling out the factory RBA attachment.

idjekyll

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The thicker wire is going to lead to more ramp-up time, particularly when you're using it at a lower power delivery setting (I only use 24G on builds I'm firing above 40 watts) - a thinner wire will get hot faster, delivering better performance for lower-powered builds. And with a Subtank, I'm not sure you could get enough airflow to get much more power - I certainly couldn't, even after drilling out the factory RBA attachment.

Ok I see what you mean. I've read on reddit where the recommended gauges for the subtank mini would be 28g would higher ohms and 24g for lower (0.5 ohms) and it seems to be quite ok amongst them. Anyone else have an input in this?

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hi there. Thanks for the feedback. Currently playing around with coils and such. Just order a 26/32 clapton wire and also a 28g wire so we'll see where we go from there. Also waiting for a Velocity RDA and the TFV4 Mini to come as well so you can say I caught the vape bug HARD. I'm just looking for good flavour so any help would be good. Right now I'm on .4-.5 ohms on a 24g 6 wraps. Heard a lot of the Claptons so I can't wait to give that a go.

One more thing. When I wrap using a 3mm drill bit I can crazy spitting on my subtank mini. What gives?
Any time. I use the UD 26/32 Clapton wire myself, it's good wire. Just guessing, I'd say your spitting problem is more likely to be wick of power related-- probably not enough of either or both-- than coil diameter.

idjekyll

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any time. I use the UD 26/32 Clapton wire myself, it's good wire. Just guessing, I'd say your spitting problem is more likely to be wick of power related-- probably not enough of either or both-- than coil diameter.
Yeah it is wick related. I deduced it when I over saturated the cotton and it was spitting like crazy. Anyway I'm trying our a 28g parallel coil 3mm with a .5 ohms today. Seems alright and hope it'll last till my clapton arrives.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok I see what you mean. I've read on reddit where the recommended gauges for the subtank mini would be 28g would higher ohms and 24g for lower (0.5 ohms) and it seems to be quite ok amongst them. Anyone else have an input in this?
Well, if that's what current users are having success with, go for it! I haven't seen much Subtank talk around VU lately, but when it was a newer atty and I was following because my wife used to use one most talk was focused on 28g...

VU Sponsors