Become a Patron!

newbie looking for stick mod advice

i'm new to vaping and am finding myself mired in a conundrum that i'm sure most newbie vapers have encountered at one point or another. first off, forgive me for my limited knowledge- i'm sure a lot of this is going to sound remedial to most, so here goes: with an ungodly amount of companies out there making devices, how in the hell do you narrow it down? what's good and what should i stay away from? I started out with a kangertech subvod. right now I've got a smok stick prince baby (gift from a friend). I definitely prefer the smok stik over the subvod. I've noticed issues with both, but they've been negligible for the most part, i.e. leaking from time to time, bum coil, etc.- easy fixes. I prefer the stick mods. for what it's worth, I still roll with a flip phone so that'll give ya an idea of how "complex" I prefer my gadgetry to be. with having said that, I don't need bells and/or whistles and am therefore steering clear of the box mods, variable wattage, etc.- the relatively plain jane simple stick setup works for me. but what I would like is longer battery life and a bigger tank (compared to the stik prince baby). I've heard good and bad about smok, and have been looking at their v9 max, but am a bit hesitant the more I research smok in general. others makers I've looked at include migvapor and eleaf. the dude at the local vape shop I go to reminds me of the comic book store guy from the simpsons and i'm tired of dealin' with his holier than thou attitude so I figured i'd ask others opinions. any help/advice you may have would be greatly appreciated. again, i'm looking to stick with sub ohm, I use 3mg nicotine, would like maybe 60-100w max, i'd like a 6ml or higher tank, 2600 or higher battery. some of this may not make sense and/or is inaccurate due to my limited knowledge- apologize for that.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
i'm new to vaping and am finding myself mired in a conundrum that i'm sure most newbie vapers have encountered at one point or another. first off, forgive me for my limited knowledge- i'm sure a lot of this is going to sound remedial to most, so here goes: with an ungodly amount of companies out there making devices, how in the hell do you narrow it down? what's good and what should i stay away from? I started out with a kangertech subvod. right now I've got a smok stick prince baby (gift from a friend). I definitely prefer the smok stik over the subvod. I've noticed issues with both, but they've been negligible for the most part, i.e. leaking from time to time, bum coil, etc.- easy fixes. I prefer the stick mods. for what it's worth, I still roll with a flip phone so that'll give ya an idea of how "complex" I prefer my gadgetry to be. with having said that, I don't need bells and/or whistles and am therefore steering clear of the box mods, variable wattage, etc.- the relatively plain jane simple stick setup works for me. but what I would like is longer battery life and a bigger tank (compared to the stik prince baby). I've heard good and bad about smok, and have been looking at their v9 max, but am a bit hesitant the more I research smok in general. others makers I've looked at include migvapor and eleaf. the dude at the local vape shop I go to reminds me of the comic book store guy from the simpsons and i'm tired of dealin' with his holier than thou attitude so I figured i'd ask others opinions. any help/advice you may have would be greatly appreciated. again, i'm looking to stick with sub ohm, I use 3mg nicotine, would like maybe 60-100w max, i'd like a 6ml or higher tank, 2600 or higher battery. some of this may not make sense and/or is inaccurate due to my limited knowledge- apologize for that.

Smok tanks seem more reliable than their mods from the feedback posted throughout VU, if you can put up with the occasional dud coil, so if you are happy with the Prince, its probably likely you'd enjoy other Smok tanks

As for a stick-style mod, harder to get in a regulated device, especially if double batteries are a must

If you are looking for simplicity and durability, can't say enough about eLeaf mods - they are not fancy or glamorous, but they are very, very durable. Also super easy to use in wattage mode. A button to raise wattage, a button to lower it. Vape away.

If I have to fidget with a mod or get the manual out to adjust it, out the door it goes!

Smoant mods are also highly regarded, but I am not familiar with how their boards operate at all

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not going to give you a specific recommendation here, but I'll share my experience with you.

My first purchase after trying cigalikes was a Smok mod and it lasted 5 weeks before dying. I then tried another cheap mod that lasted 3 months. I wised up, did some research and invested what I had spent on those two mods on a DNA chip device that I still have and I still pull out from time to time and it works like day 1. You really do get what you pay for. I'd personally stay away from Smok as they've proven to have questionable quality with their mods.

If your budget doesn't allow for a DNA powered mod, have a look at Geekvape. I have a Legend that I take to work that has pleasantly surprised.

As @JuicyLucy pointed out above, eleaf and Smoat are also solid choices.

james11elliott

Member For 1 Year
There's other mods with built in battery now most all of them have the same battery life there not stick mods I'd look at ijoy, geekvape, uwell steer away from smok

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Jenn F

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
eLeaf carries some simple mods. They will have vv-vw but you can stay on the watt mode. Most of the cheapest sticks have that. iKonn 220 has been through many miles with me and is just fine. Also the eLeaf iStick is a good one that has a built-in battery or used to. Tanks are tanks and they will give even the best of vapers leaks, short lived coils etc. There's a few older tanks that are tried and true, think my Atlantis was pretty forgiving back a few years ago. A friend of mine swears by her Cleito, she keeps it easy peasy as well alongside her iKonn 220. Mine is used while riding and can take whatever you throw at it and won't even scratch up. :)

As others have warned you, please stay away from Smok. Smoant was mentioned and I have the Naboo, it's a little complex but does have a hepatic "touch" screen that is super easy to learn. It reminds me of older phones when they first came out with the touchscreen. Very basic like the flip phone. All the mods I've spoke of are not stick mods though, those mods are either very basic or complex. I like both the Samsung 18650 V6 or LG 18650 30A for batteries.

Vape stores can be a toss up if you're scouting about since many will try to sell you something more up to date or simply complex. I've been there before and still have some that try to teach me if they've never seen me in their stores. Kinda comical...:):luck:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
thanks everybody. went with an eleaf iJust 3.
I was going to suggest that to you. Vaporesso makes one similar called the Cascade One I think that Ive wanted to try. Smok does stick mods well IMO. I have four V8s and two Prince sticks, the full sized ones. I really like the Prince version. None of my V8s have ever given me troble. Some are over a year old and used daily. I'm very interested in the newer V9s with the bigger batteries and huge tanks. I think you'll be happy with your choice.

VU Sponsors