Nicolas Cage Reveals the Tragic Reason He Gave Up Karaoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Nicolas Cage has revealed he has hung up his karaoke mic for good after a clip of him singing a punk rendition of Purple Rain went viral.

During an interview with The Hollywood Reporter as part of its annual Actor Roundtable, the 57-year-old karaoke star (and actor) explained why he gave up his favourite hobby.

“Well, yeah, for me, karaoke was like therapy until someone videotaped my punk-rock version of Prince's ‘Purple Rain’ and it went everywhere and I said, ‘I'm not going to karaoke anymore,’” said Cage.

“Don't steal the gift from the world,” replied Andrew Garfield. “You need to keep giving.”

Cage had been filmed performing a punk-rock version of Prince’s Purple Rain back in 2019 – a clip which found its way online and took the internet by storm.

Unfortunately, it looks as though his viral karaoke experience caused Cage to write off singing, despite his obvious love of the art. Thankfully, he says he’ll never give up acting.

"Well, singing is therapy, I think. Absolutely,” explained Cage. “Karaoke's supposed to be private. It's like a prayer.”

After swearing off karaoke, Cage also commented on the casting process.

“[It’s] terrifying,” he said. “It really is the worst.”

“In a casting office, how would they really know if something was great?” he added. “If it was truly great, it would be unlike anything they'd seen before, it would be original, and that would probably terrify them. They're not going to know greatness when they see it. They don't know better than we know. They don't. We know. We know what we can bring. We know what our instrument is.”

“They either, very rarely, have that eye where they can go, 'Oh, wow, I felt it,' or they're by and large going to be terrified of it, which is what my experience was,” added Cage.

Nicolas Cage will next star in The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, a weird thriller where the actor plays himself, enlisted by the CIA in the strangest of undercover missions. He’s also set to play iconic screen monster Dracula in the upcoming film, Renfield.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors