Become a Patron!

Nitecore NEW i2 - Don't Buy.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
This is my first experience with 18650's and chargers. Vaping 2 months. 18650 user for 1 week. I have a Nitecore NEW i2 and 2 Molicels from Liion.

-Good quality device.
-Built in power supply and regular power cable.
-1A for one battery. .5 for the other.
-What I don't like is that you can't force .5A charging if you only have one battery in there. I have no need to charge fast and I don't like the heat even from just 1A charging.
-Another dislike is the sharpness of the spring loaded contact. This thing will EAT wraps. And it's awkward to be so gentle as to ensure you don't. I already have a nick on one of them.
-I will find use for this device but I'd choose another if I could.
- Unfortunately I give this device a FAIL because of those sharp contacts. Completely unacceptable at any price or quality level.

On another side note....30Q's would have been better for my device. Innokin Z80 I use at 15ish watts. I vape a lot and the Moli of course lasts more than a full day, but it definitely does go down faster than I expected.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
This is why I looked into and bought a charger that accepts the longer protected 21700's. The spring is more lax than the non, it's way easier, and I don't have to 2 hand the charger.
At 15ish watts you could go lower than 30Q's 15-18A for yet - even more runtime.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I own a Nitecore NEW i4 so I know exactly what you are talking about, but I never damaged a battery wrap with this charger. That's because pulling the battery toward you with two fingers of the same hand pressed against the side of the battery before you lift the top (positive) end of the battery out of the slot with a fingertip of your other hand is what makes it possible for the bottom (negative) end of the battery to remain in the slot, such that the slider keeps pressing steadily against it till you've pushed the battery away from you whilst you're holding it in this way. With my Nitecore UMS4, taking the batteries off is just a breeze, though, as it matches the description of "a charger that accepts the longer protected 21700s and the spring is more lax so you can use just one hand". My UMS4 lets me adjust the charging rate of the slots, individually and in 0.1A steps. AFAIK no other charger in this price range lets you adjust the charging rate in such small steps. On my Nitecore UMS4, the contact on the slider is a flattened bump, unlike my Nitecore NEW i4 and unlike my Nitecore D4 also.

Some people don't like the fact that the UMS4 uses USB for its power source. But Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 compatible USB wall chargers from trusted brands like Anker or Aukey are known for their safety, as there's shitloads of people all over the world who have been using these things for ages to protect their Android phones against going up in a cloud of smoke while charging (and that also includes quite a few people whose Android phones are in the $1,000+ ballpark).

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With my Anker PowerPort+1 (Quick Charge 3.0 compatible, 18 watts, single USB-A port with PowerIQ) the charging speed of my UMS4 is limited to 3A in total. Whenever I want to use all four channels usually this means I'll do 2×0.8A + 2×0.7A.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Yeah, I own a Nitecore NEW i4 so I know exactly what you are talking about, but I never damaged a battery wrap with this charger. That's because pulling the battery toward you with two fingers of the same hand pressed against the side of the battery before you lift the top (positive) end of the battery out of the slot with a fingertip of your other hand is what makes it possible for the bottom (negative) end of the battery to remain in the slot, such that the slider keeps pressing steadily against it till you've pushed the battery away from you whilst you're holding it in this way. With my Nitecore UMS4, taking the batteries off is just a breeze, though, as it matches the description of "a charger that accepts the longer protected 21700s and the spring is more lax so you can use just one hand". My UMS4 lets me adjust the charging rate of the slots, individually and in 0.1A steps. AFAIK no other charger in this price range lets you adjust the charging rate in such small steps. On my Nitecore UMS4, the contact on the slider is a flattened bump, unlike my Nitecore NEW i4 and unlike my Nitecore D4 also.

Some people don't like the fact that the UMS4 uses USB for its power source. But Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 compatible USB wall chargers from trusted brands like Anker or Aukey are known for their safety, as there's shitloads of people all over the world who have been using these things for ages to protect their Android phones against going up in a cloud of smoke while charging (and that also includes quite a few people whose Android phones are in the $1,000+ ballpark).
Good info, thanks. I'll definitely look into that one. These things are pretty inexpensive for what you get. I should have gotten a slightly more advanced one

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The screen on the UMS4 can display the internal resistance of the battery, but this reading is very inaccurate. No matter still, I find this feature very useful, as I use this to see whether the battery contacts are making decent contact so, if needed, I can roll the battery a little bit back and forth in the slot a couple times causing the battery's terminals to rub against the charger's contacts before I pull the battery toward me for a sec, which effectively solves the problem of some dirt occasionally sticking such that this dirt causes the total resistance to end up being too high. (I remember laughing after I saw some folks on amazon were blaming the charger for this.)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors