Become a Patron!

Norm Macdonald, Legendary Comedian and Saturday Night Live Cast Member, Has Died at 61

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Norm Macdonald, known for his acerbic wit and jabs at conventional comedy, has died. He was 61.

Deadline broke the news that Macdonald died after a nine year battle with cancer, which he has kept largely private. Producing partner and friend Lori Jo Hoekstra told Deadline that he wanted to focus on his comedy.

"He never wanted the diagnosis to affect the way the audience or any of his loved ones saw him," Hoekstra said. "Norm was a pure comic. He once wrote that 'a joke should catch someone by surprise, it should never pander.' He certainly never pandered. Norm will be missed terribly."

Comedians and other influential figures on social media quickly paid tribute to Macdonald.

Plus do yourself a favor and pick up @normmacdonald ‘s book. One of the funniest things I’ve ever read. I have only called a handful of funny people a genius, he was one of them. I love you, Norm. RIP, you delightful weirdo.

— Brian Posehn (@thebrianposehn) September 14, 2021
Norm Macdonald was a comedians comedian. One I would listen to in the car at least once a month. His takedown of a school teacher who tried to heckle him will remain comedy gold for the rest of time. RIP Norm :( pic.twitter.com/ymz6nXPcII

— Kidbehindacamera (@Lyricoldrap) September 14, 2021

Of the many addictive rabbit holes you can disappear down on the internet, the most pleasurable is 'Norm MacDonald chat show appearances'. Thanks for all the laughs Norm, very sorry to see you go. https://****/ahxZNRdJEw

— edgarwright (@edgarwright) September 14, 2021

Macdonald is best-known for his stint on Saturday Night Live between 1993 and 1998, where he hosted Weekend Update in an era in which figures like O.J. Simpson and Bill Clinton loomed large. His savage sense of humor and penchant for pushing boundaries won him many fans, among his greatest moments being his utter destruction of ESPN's Award Show as its host in 1998. That same sense of humor reportedly resulted in his firing from SNL, as he wouldn't stop insulting O.J. Simpson, much to the reported displeasure of NBC president Don Ohlmeyer.

Outside of Saturday Night Live, Macdonald's work included appearances in films including Billy Madison and The People vs. Larry Flynt, as well as a recurring role in The Orville as the voice of Yaphit. As recently as last year, Macdonald hosted a YouTube talk show called Quarantined in which he interviewed various celebrities such as Chevy Chase.

Macdonald was born in Quebec, Canada. He is survived among others by Neil Macdonald, a well-known Canadian journalist.

Kat Bailey is a Senior News Editor at IGN.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors