Obi-Wan Showrunner Says 'There’s a Love-Story Dynamic' Between Vader and Kenobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
As Star Wars fans await the highly-anticipated rematch between Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan Kenobi and Hayden Christensen's Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi showrunner Deborah Chow is sharing some insight about what makes the duo's relationship tick.

Speaking to Vanity Fair, Chow said Obi-Wan and Anakin's fractured bond is compelling because of the love they once felt for one another, and the dynamic between them is what led Chow to feel Christensen's casting as Darth Vader was a necessity.

“For me, across the prequels, through the original trilogy, there’s a love-story dynamic with these two that goes through the whole thing,” Chow said. “I felt like it was quite hard to not [include] the person who left Kenobi in such anguish in the series.”

While #ObiWan anguishes over his past, Anakin Skywalker is a man at war with himself. Showrunner Deborah Chow tells V.F. that what intrigued her most about the series was the thread between them: “I don’t think [Obi-Wan] ever will not care about him... They loved each other.” pic.twitter.com/E6uvJVQl4k

— VANITY FAIR (@VanityFair) May 17, 2022

It seems the show could explore Obi-Wan's lingering feelings for Anakin, as Chow says Obi-Wan certainly still cares about him.

“I don’t know how you could not,” she says. “I don’t think he ever will not care about him. What’s special about that relationship is that they loved each other.”

Christensen also shed some light on how the show could explore Vader's psyche post-Revenge of the Sith, saying we could see a new vulnerable side to the character.

“A lot of my conversations with Deborah [Chow] were about wanting to convey this feeling of strength, but also coupled with imprisonment,” Christensen said. “There is this power and vulnerability, and I think that’s an interesting space to explore.”

It won't be long until we get to see the two characters interact on screen again, as Obi-Wan Kenobi will premiere on Disney Plus on May 27 with two episodes. The latest trailer also gave us a glimpse of Darth Vader and plenty of action.

For more on Obi-Wan Kenobi, read about how it took McGregor months to re-find his Obi-Wan voice. Or, check out when McGregor hinted at an Obi-Wan connection to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN. You can find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors