Become a Patron!

Oculus Rift's Touch Controllers Will Wreck Your Sense of Reality

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
These days, I’m always prepared for two things whenever I slip on a virtual-reality headset: intermittent waves of nausea, and the lingering urge to grab at whatever I see. The first consumer version of Oculus Rift doesn’t entirely solve that first problem still, though it’s improved on it quite a bit—but when paired with the Oculus Touch controllers, it takes a huge, satisfying step toward giving me what I want on the second count.

Check out the video above for a closer look at the final Oculus Rift hardware.

According to Nate Mitchell, VP of Product at Oculus, the Rift I put on during my E3 demo isn’t even the actual final version—its weight and ergonomics will still get slight tweaks between now and the visor’s Q1 2016 launch. But even if it’s not absolutely final, the Rift now feels dramatically better to wear. This version is much lighter than the dev kits and the Crescent Bay prototype, and has adequate room for glasses. I used to have to take off my glasses or let the nosepads jam painfully into my face during appointments; in both scenarios, I’d get headaches that led to queasiness after extended time in the visor. And that was on top of whatever motion sickness that cropped up.

Continue reading…

Continue reading...

VU Sponsors