Become a Patron!

Ohms Help

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello,

I bought a Captain 1865 and a Crown 3 tank recently. The tank has a .25 ohm coil attached, but when vaping tonight I noticed that the digital display shows ohms ranging from about 0.31 or 0.32. Is this indicator normal? I am vaping at 90w.

I would be glad if you could help.
That's a pretty big difference. You're going by the power rating it says on the coil itself?

Welcome to VU btw :)

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did it read .25 before?
Even if it did - not that big a shift, and if it's steady at .31, that's not really indicative of a problem.
If they were SOLD as .25 but read .3, that's not unusual.
If they read .25 dry and new, but read .3 when wet and wicked, that's not unusual.
Even as a coil gets used and some gunk builds up, it might shift from .3 to .33, etc.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If it is a SS coil that is more than normal and what the projected coil is and how your MOD reads it are two different worlds. I have over 200 .5 Coils that never read .5~! .52Ω right now but Locked, using SS

Last edited:

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think this person is saying that the coil is sold as .25, but reads over .3 on the mod. I say that's a pretty big difference. What matters is the actual resistance of the coil. If it really is north of .3 then no big deal, but if it's actually .25 and the mod is reading it at over .3 I have to think there is some issue with the mod. Not that it won't work, or is dangerous, but that is not very accurate.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This is very possible.
as stated above it could be the coil itself.
Coils can change ohms when heated.

If you want to be absolutely sure it's not anything on your end you could troubleshoot it.

You'll want to wait until the tank is empty or you could empty it.

The first thing you'll want to do is take the coil out and slide this pin out on the coil a little.
Sometimes the pin gets pressed down a tiny bit too far which could possibly lead to a variance in ohms.
Plus, it's really easy to try.

1605496188631.png

While you have the tank apart clean all of the contacts very well.
Be sure the 510 threads are clean on the outside of the tank and on the Mod itself.
I take a tissue to shape and use it to spin inside the 510.
You'd be surprised at all the crazy stuff that builds up in there.
The spot where the coil makes contact on the bottom of the tank is an important spot to keep an eye on as well.

After you have the inside pin slid out on the coil a little, the 510 connection clean on the mod and tank you can put it back together you can see if it makes a difference.

Honestly as long as the ohms aren't jumping all over the place I wouldn't be too concerned with it.
it's only a 0.06 - 0.07 ohm difference

Also as stated above a different coil may help.
Some companies have poor QC on the coils.

VU Sponsors