Become a Patron!

O'rings for RDA's etc

skenzer

Member For 4 Years
Hey everyone,
I've been looking around to buy some O'rings for my RDA's, drip tips, etc. Mostly looking for an assortment kit but haven't had much luck yet. Harbor Freight sells many o'ring sets but they all seem to be super thick when you start getting into the larger sizes for RDA's.
Does anybody have any experience in buying o'rings and where to get the type that work for us vapors? It seems there would have to be the "right kit" out there somewhere!
I've looked at local hardware stores, Amazon, Harbor Freight and all of the o'ring sets are basically the same. The small rings are thin, the larger rings are thick and won't work at all.
Thanks

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The most asked question I've heard while in a b&m "do you have any spare o rings for my *****?"
No one round me seems to know.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
There are industrial supply houses like Grainger, Applied Industrial Technology, Kamman Industrial and Motion Industries that have access to just about any O-Ring size that you might need.

Unless you know the EXACT MEASURMENT and material of the O-Rings you need, you will have to visit the walk in parts counter and throw yourself on the mercy of the people behind the counter.

As a rule, they are not normally thrilled to deal with "Hobbyist" as they would define us.

skenzer

Member For 4 Years
dang, this is what I was afraid of. I wonder if Hobby stores that sell trains, radio controlled cars, etc might have them? I know there's online stores that deal strictly with o'rings but again, good luck finding the right ones.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What I did is search FastTech and put together an entire order of various sized o-rings. In various amount from 5 packs to 50 packs. Now when I need one I have an assortment to choose from. Price is hard to beat and shipping will be 2 weeks to a month depending.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kidney Puncher has a large assortment of O-rings and I purchased 5 packs of 10 for my IGO-W's for about $1.50 a pack. I use a lot of cinnamon juice and it eats the O-rings. You can also message them from their customer service link, they will tell you what size of o-ring you need for "X" device, and link you directly to where to find it on their site.

Mommay

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get the ones for drip tips & carto tanks from desert vapes. They have a pretty wide assortment & are really inexpensive.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Home depot and lowes has o rings in parts bins, whats nice is you can take the o ring you need, or device and match them up for yourself. Those bins are usually in the nuts and bolts section. So you don't have to buy ones you don't need or fit.

Goodrat

Member For 4 Years
I used to buy o-rings for headphones I manufactured. Go to the Marcorubber web site. http://www.marcorubber.com/orings.htm
There is info to select the material and standard size charts and what is best for certain chemicals or strength and abrasion etc..
Depending on the material, you can select a size and order a big bag for dirt cheap. Some materials require getting a quote, but others you just select and order. We need to measure what we use and figure out a material. I'll be working on this.
Hey Unc, how have you been?

Goodrat

Member For 4 Years
That Fasttech link has possibilities. I wish it listed the material. But as long as you can many cheap, that's fine.

Goodrat

Member For 4 Years
These are my measurements for the Griffin.
I can get all at Fasttech except the drip tip ones and the top/bottom of glass (unless I use round and not flat on glass edges).
o-rings.jpg

Goodrat

Member For 4 Years
I got tired of wondering "where the heck do all these o-rings go?"
and what should I buy for this vape-apocalypse?

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, but, as a jewelry artist I've seen them in various supply stores/catalogues. They don't call them O Rings though and I can't think of what they do call them :/ But, they're various sizes and extremely cheap. This is the first time I've looked for them, too.

HYDRAMAN74

Unlisted Vendor
Hey everyone,
I've been looking around to buy some O'rings for my RDA's, drip tips, etc. Mostly looking for an assortment kit but haven't had much luck yet. Harbor Freight sells many o'ring sets but they all seem to be super thick when you start getting into the larger sizes for RDA's.
Does anybody have any experience in buying o'rings and where to get the type that work for us vapors? It seems there would have to be the "right kit" out there somewhere!
I've looked at local hardware stores, Amazon, Harbor Freight and all of the o'ring sets are basically the same. The small rings are thin, the larger rings are thick and won't work at all.
Thanks
Hello VAPERS,

I am one of the Outside Sales Rep. for HydraPak Seals, Inc. We are located in West Jordan, Utah, and we are the largest o-ring distributor West of the Mississippi. I would like to help all of you out with finding the correct o-rings. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at the information below. I gauarntee that we will supply you with the best quality o-ring with the best price around.

Website:https://www.hydrapakseals.com/storefrontCommerce/home.do

Email: [email protected]
800-669-9638

HYDRAMAN74

Unlisted Vendor
These are my measurements for the Griffin.
I can get all at Fasttech except the drip tip ones and the top/bottom of glass (unless I use round and not flat on glass edges).
o-rings.jpg
I can beat anyone pricing, If you need anything give me a shot.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Revived 4/5/2108

I am looking for FLAT O-Rings for drip tips. All I'm finding are round ones. Anyone know how to find this elusive replacement "accessory"?

Grandpa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another site:
http://www.theoringstore.com/

Buna-N 70 I believe is standard material.

I am a retired design engineer who worked with oil hydraulics. Buna-N 70 is plain natural rubber with a shore hardness of 70 (pretty limpid). Not particularly heat resistant but it would probably get you by in a pinch. Viton or silicone material is what I would suggest, but YMMV. If I was getting Viton, I would probably go with a shore 90 hardness.

The thing is, I have spare o-rings in every box for everything I have bought. I have not ever had to replace a single o-ring in anything to date, and I've been at this for a couple of years now. If one is careful and mindful about handling these things, they should last indefinitely. A person needs to handle any fluid sealing application with care. That means making sure that o-rings are in the proper position for the area they are sealing. Use a little lube :eek: on the seal and the area of the device you are applying it to. I use juice for this. Don't over tighten things and be careful to avoid cross-threading (that's cross-threading, not cross-dressing, you Pervs!). Some of the tank o-rings I have are not a round cross section - they are cupped in cross section so they need to be applied to your tank properly.

If you are going to get o-rings, I would get them for your particular device, which means you are going to get a packing kit for that device. Check with the manufacturer, and some of the Chinese like Fast Tech. The problem with buying o-rings separately is getting the right size, which means you better be able to measure the o-ring you are trying to replace. I own some fairly sophisticated measuring tools but measuring an o-ring is kind of like herding cats - it can be done but is pretty muchity an ass-ache. The dang things like to move around on you. Maybe for diameter, one could use a ring gauge like what jewelers use to size rings for your fingers. Don't try to guess though - if it's not the right size or cross section, you run the risk of either stretching the no-ring so the cross section is reduced and won't seal, or bunching the o-ring up in the space it goes in. Like trying to stuff 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

Try measuring the space the seal goes in instead. The cross section of the seal is important - it needs to seal with the proper compression or "squeeze". You need enough compression to seal but not too much. When you assemble these devices, hand tight is more than enough. If you ever have to break out the pliers or vice grips to get it apart, it was too tight.

Of coarse, I am very much in favor of sourcing these things just in case.

Hello VAPERS,

I am one of the Outside Sales Rep. for HydraPak Seals, Inc. We are located in West Jordan, Utah, and we are the largest o-ring distributor West of the Mississippi. I would like to help all of you out with finding the correct o-rings. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at the information below. I gauarntee that we will supply you with the best quality o-ring with the best price around.

Website:https://www.hydrapakseals.com/storefrontCommerce/home.do

Email: [email protected]
800-669-9638
Hey I know this is a REALLY old thread, but I also live in West Jordan and have been doing some shopping for a nice assortment of variously sized o-rings for my "if the SHTF vape kit" and was just wondering if you were still around Hydraman74?

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hey I know this is a REALLY old thread, but I also live in West Jordan and have been doing some shopping for a nice assortment of variously sized o-rings for my "if the SHTF vape kit" and was just wondering if you were still around Hydraman74?
He hasn't logged in for almost 5 years.

aerodan

Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
I've read and been taught that the sizes of O-rings can be a moving target, and my designer side says to be more precise - but I've had great luck using this "metric cone tool" to measure the proper diameter, and a pair of simple digital calipers to measure thickness.

So far, whenever I need an o-ring, I order the BUNA material and haven't had any issues yet in many, many replacements on a variety of tanks. YMMV.

AD

VU Sponsors