Become a Patron!

Pay for ad removal?

Ronin Quickblade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am a long time member of a local car community (Michigans largest, in fact) forum, and there is a way of removing the advertisements if we donate to the site for a year (starts at 5 dollars, goes up to 15 dollars)

Are you guys planning on implementing something like this where we could donate for a specific timeframe (ours that I moderate is 5 dollars for some extra perks and no ads, or 15 dollars a year for no ads and unlimtied private messages.. etc)

Is this a thought process for you guys?

-Jordan K.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
The forum is free, and we don't ask vendors to pay for their sub-forums either.

Ronin Quickblade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
As a forum moderator of over 7 years, I'd much rather give to a site for the ad's to be removed and not just force remove the ad's so the people that are providing you a space to talk and browse the vaping interwebs lose money in the long run.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
That's what adblocker+ is for.
This site has the anti adblocker warnings set on every page. Making it way worse than ads. Personally I don't mind the ads here on the top and bottom. The inline link replacement is fine, as long as it doesn't butcher the link in the process. ECF has a couple of sites that it tries to link to an affiliate but breaks the entire thing.

Having said that, it's not a terrible idea to offer a "no ads" version if someone wanted to pay for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MistaKuraudo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, the ads really aren't that bad. They're placed very well. It's a million times better than popups at least.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, the ads really aren't that bad. They're placed very well. It's a million times better than popups at least.
Yes pop ups suck! I did notice there's some overlap with the top ad on the mobile version of the forum...

Ronin Quickblade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
are you referring to the ecig ad's? if so...why?

Because ad's that are animated eat up my resources and I keep windows open on my computer for days at a time, or maybe because I am on the site to communicate with the people on it, not click on ads? It's not anything meant to be ball busting, it's just an option for the site to receive even more incentive and it's epace of mind for the people that wanted to pay, and peace of mind for the people that didn't want to pay and see the ads? :rolleyes:

Can't you just use tapatalk? I don't think you'll view any ads at all while using it.

Phone browsing is quite simply the worst thing on the planet for me o_O

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
If you're on mobile, then Tapatalk, once you gets past its clumsy integration of all your forums, is the best options. Honestly the desktop site really isn't that bad. Especially since a lot of these are either standard e-cig vendors or some local B&M stores which wanted to toss a few bucks to get seen. I'm ok with this. I haven't seen any random adwords nonsense, so its all good with me.

Just stay on top of viglink and makes sure it does screw it up by incorrectly routing links.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
What are you all talking about here. The sponsor ads are on the top, bottom, and side with NOT effecting your view of the forum threads or having any interference or popping in your face with you viewing the threads. The only way it will redirect to the sponsors website is if you click on them. Stop your nonsense!
No-Nonsense.gif

LeslieVapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't agree more Smokie, I was trying to figure out what the big deal was. Everything runs smooth here! smh...Thanks for your hard work!

Ronin Quickblade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What are you all talking about here. The sponsor ads are on the top, bottom, and side with NOT effecting your view of the forum threads or having any interference or popping in your face with you viewing the threads. The only way it will redirect to the sponsors website is if you click on them. Stop your nonsense!
No-Nonsense.gif

I wasn't here to be confrontational, I was offering another way of the site to be able to profit and for us to keep ad's off of our page if we so chose. I don't see nonsense, I was asking a question, and apparently it's been answered. animated gifs hurt VPN's because of the constant load necessary for it, which is why I like forums that allow me to circumvent (even if it is by paying) to keep the ad's off.

Thanks.

Dhim

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Member For 5 Years
I wasn't here to be confrontational, I was offering another way of the site to be able to profit and for us to keep ad's off of our page if we so chose. I don't see nonsense, I was asking a question, and apparently it's been answered. animated gifs hurt VPN's because of the constant load necessary for it, which is why I like forums that allow me to circumvent (even if it is by paying) to keep the ad's off.

Thanks.
Actually an animated gif only downloads once. It animates within itself once its loaded. The days of memory leaks are long gone.

But I think you guys are misunderstanding his request. I don't think he was complaining about the ads, I think he was thinking about purchasing a add on for his account to remove the ads to support the site in other ways.

Ronin Quickblade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Actually an animated gif only downloads once. It animates within itself once its loaded. The days of memory leaks are long gone.

But I think you guys are misunderstanding his request. I don't think he was complaining about the ads, I think he was thinking about purchasing a add on for his account to remove the ads to support the site in other ways.

Correct. Here, let me show you the difference between the forum that I moderate on the main front page, and the main page that is on this website.

upload_2014-6-26_17-1-36.png <--- the website I moderate (this isn't a small webpage, it's over 25k members)

upload_2014-6-26_17-3-1.png <--- this website. It's bloated.

I apologize that it seems I am attacking, but I can assure you that I am not. I am just merely asking if there is a way to be able to circumvent, and even gave incentive.

Thats all I wanted to ask, not start facebookwars.

Crunchy Codex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Correct. Here, let me show you the difference between the forum that I moderate on the main front page, and the main page that is on this website.

View attachment 194 <--- the website I moderate (this isn't a small webpage, it's over 25k members)

View attachment 195 <--- this website. It's bloated.

I apologize that it seems I am attacking, but I can assure you that I am not. I am just merely asking if there is a way to be able to circumvent, and even gave incentive.

Thats all I wanted to ask, not start facebookwars.

If your VPN can't handle this forum, I'd say it's time for a new one. Especially if it's paid.
Or better yet, set up a physical proxy or two.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, I don't like ads much, and block Adsense and most other things Google, DoubleClick and about 30,000 other sites.. But, so far, the stuff here isn't bothering me as I know they need it to get started. Perhaps later on as they get more revenue, they may decrease the ads..

I also use an old C2D E7200 computer on 15/5 VDSL while doing things in multiple tabs in Opera.
Win7 Ultimate x64 with 4GB of RAM and about 45 processes.

I have streaming stuff in another tab and I have this:

memory.png

That VPN must be on ISDN or something.... ;-)

I understand the OP's point, and I don't mind seeing ads, I just don't like the idea of cookies & beacons following me around. Pay to remove ads from my account sounds like a fair trade, and many sites are doing it that way now. Just an option to consider IMHO :)

Vape on!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I do agree that a paid option makes sense, several million+ member forums I'm on have that option.
It only makes sense if the donation makes up for the lost revenue however.

We don't want VU becoming l337 Donators vs Regular people either. Money doesn't make people special.

I just don't think it's all that bad..and I hate ads. ;)

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never thought I would say this, but I like the ads, normally use adblocker as don't want to see ads for crap, but hape to have adblocker off here, nice to see ads in something that interests me, might even see something to make me actually click on the ad :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never thought I would say this, but I like the ads, normally use adblocker as don't want to see ads for crap, but hape to have adblocker off here, nice to see ads in something that interests me, might even see something to make me actually click on the ad :)

I agree, I'm seeing shops and vendors I've never heard of before....not bad.

I also researched VigiLink before I signed up too. They seem to know what they are doing...not seeing any real blowback from users of their services...yet.

Ronin Quickblade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, I don't like ads much, and block Adsense and most other things Google, DoubleClick and about 30,000 other sites.. But, so far, the stuff here isn't bothering me as I know they need it to get started. Perhaps later on as they get more revenue, they may decrease the ads..

I also use an old C2D E7200 computer on 15/5 VDSL while doing things in multiple tabs in Opera.
Win7 Ultimate x64 with 4GB of RAM and about 45 processes.

I have streaming stuff in another tab and I have this:

memory.png

That VPN must be on ISDN or something.... ;-)

This is a work VPN, and we have limited resources for the VPN, since it's being used for well over 2000 people.

I do agree that a paid option makes sense, several million+ member forums I'm on have that option.
It only makes sense if the donation makes up for the lost revenue however.

We don't want VU becoming l337 Donators vs Regular people either. Money doesn't make people special.

I just don't think it's all that bad..and I hate ads. ;)

I never thought of it that way. Some simple perks never hurt though, more saved private messages, etc. And we're still "contributing to the site" albeit by paying up front instead of with our eyes. Once again, was just food for thought and not something I was looking for a fight with. Maybe down the road, maybe not, just something to chew the cud on.

If your VPN can't handle this forum, I'd say it's time for a new one. Especially if it's paid.
Or better yet, set up a physical proxy or two.

Yeah, at home I have Privoxy set up so I will never see them and no warnings since it doesn't send a "deny" it just sends it to null land.

I just don't like the idea of cookies & beacons following me around.

This was my exact thought process.

driter

Sponsor's ads generate a nice chunk of change.... current ads just on the home page = approximately $9,992.00 every 3 months and more ad space still available. Seems forums are quite profitable to me.

Last edited:
Adblockplus works

hitman4274

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I turned my ad blocker off.. support the cause click an ad...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

VU Sponsors