Pear & Pomegranate Tea by lirruping

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

FA Pear 3%
FA Pomegranate 1%
FA Apple 1%
FA White Peach 0.33% (feel free to use 0.25, I don't think it will be a big deal)
FA Black Tea 0.5-1%

This is light and delicate and very pleasant. The actual tea, while very similar, is bolder and more savory. It may be the ratios of the primary fruits--or it may be a matter of a missing spice or fruit--I'm on it.

It's my first attempt to duplicate my favorite blend ever, one I used to treat myself to a bag of a few times a year from a shop in Cambridge, MA. I like it with 0.5% tea, but it tastes more like "tea" --and is not overpoweringly so--at 1%.

Any advice is always appreciated!

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

FA Pear 3%
FA Pomegranate 1%
FA Apple 1%
FA White Peach 0.33% (feel free to use 0.25, I don't think it will be a big deal)
FA Black Tea 0.5-1%

This is light and delicate and very pleasant. The actual tea, while very similar, is bolder and more savory. It may be the ratios of the primary fruits--or it may be a matter of a missing spice or fruit--I'm on it.

It's my first attempt to duplicate my favorite blend ever, one I used to treat myself to a bag of a few times a year from a shop in Cambridge, MA. I like it with 0.5% tea, but it tastes more like "tea" --and is not overpoweringly so--at 1%.

Any advice is always appreciated!
What about using a bit of Fuji in there? Might give it just the little bit extra? This sounds good I might try it. I'm on a mixing rampage tonight, going for my fourth bottle! Good luck!

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What about using a bit of Fuji in there? Might give it just the little bit extra? This sounds good I might try it. I'm on a mixing rampage tonight, going for my fourth bottle! Good luck!
Great minds think alike! I have Fuji, Cranberry, orange and a touch of honey on my list of things to try.
Hope you had an awesome rampage :)

Foggz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@lirruping - haha... you are definitely taking a lead from @HeadInClouds - I have all the flavors but one !! lol

Looks very tasty... On the long list to make! :p

yeah, I like tea .. giving it a nudge, closer to the top of the list ! ;)

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I hope you guys enjoy it. I have been vaping this on and off all day and although it's not yet the blend I remember from the tea shop, once I got over my expectations, I'm liking it a lot. @Foggz, you're right--and I'm hard-pressed to do anything FA that doesn't take a note from HIC! HIC's recipes and notes are the foundation of my DIY education.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey @lirruping, this is very, very nice ... I'm totally enjoying it right this minute! :)

You gave a very good description of it - light, delicate and very pleasant. I went the other way with the White Peach and bumped it to .5 mainly because I wanted to start with a smaller batch. I'll definitely be making more of this and I'm thinking I might add in .5% of Bergamot just because the creature of habit in me thinks all tea needs a touch of it! 1-BigGrin.png

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey @lirruping, this is very, very nice ... I'm totally enjoying it right this minute! :)

You gave a very good description of it - light, delicate and very pleasant. I went the other way with the White Peach and bumped it to .5 mainly because I wanted to start with a smaller batch. I'll definitely be making more of this and I'm thinking I might add in .5% of Bergamot just because the creature of habit in me thinks all tea needs a touch of it! View attachment 25442

Nice! I'm thrilled you are enjoying it :) Don't have Bergamot yet, but from what I know of the flavor it would balance the sweetness of this blend nicely.

I wish I'd thought of the combination pear & pom, because it's so awesome, but without the tea, I doubt I'd have pursued it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it soon to get closer to the real tea I love so much. I may have to break down and order a bag. It's hard working from memory on something like this. You know when it';s wrong, but it's hard to know how to get toward right. Whatever you do, don't add any FW (the only kind I could find available last order) Cranberry. :confused:

hindiana

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Trying a variation on your recipe now - would you have any recommendation on steeping? And also any reason to bump the pear so high?
I'm mainly adding some Bergamot to the balance. The result would be something like this:

FA Pear 2%
FA Pomegranate 0.75%
FA Fuji Apple 1%
FA Bergamot 0.25%
FA White Peach 0.25%
FA Black Tea 1%

I wish I had some brown sugar or honey to sweeten the deal... but maybe some MTS wizard will to the trick.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, glad this got bumped. I'll mix when baby naps. I think I might add .25-5% bergamot too. I put it in my ice tea all the time. But going to try w/o first. I don't think I have used my black tea but once. Thanks, lirruping!! I think if a more tea taste is wanted it'd have to be upped to 3% Have not used the first 4 flavors in quite some time. This sounds great for the nice weather.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trying a variation on your recipe now - would you have any recommendation on steeping? And also any reason to bump the pear so high?
I'm mainly adding some Bergamot to the balance. The result would be something like this:

FA Pear 2%
FA Pomegranate 0.75%
FA Fuji Apple 1%
FA Bergamot 0.25%
FA White Peach 0.25%
FA Black Tea 1%

I wish I had some brown sugar or honey to sweeten the deal... but maybe some MTS wizard will to the trick.
Bump up that pear. Pear will sweeten it a great deal and makes it creamy. Also will be sweeter w/o bergamot.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
wish I had some brown sugar or honey to sweeten the deal...
Daintainee's right, fa pear is super sweet and can get a creamy thing you might not expect going on, too.

I'd kind of forgotten about this one, and looking at it again I immediately think about things I would try differently to see if I can get that specific teashop flavor I was going for when I first started it. Although it's a nice vape, it's not the knock-your-sox-off kind of delicious thing that I think this general direction could take us, so I'm excited to hear how you like your variants.

re steeping: IMO the only thing that could possibly "need" more than a few days might be fa black tea, but to be honest, I vaped this within a week. so am not really sure. I didn't make any note of changes.
I do imagine the fruit flavors blend-IN with one another more over time, and possibly more with the tea flavor. You'll have to tell us!

hindiana

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Daintainee's right, fa pear is super sweet and can get a creamy thing you might not expect going on, too.

I'd kind of forgotten about this one, and looking at it again I immediately think about things I would try differently to see if I can get that specific teashop flavor I was going for when I first started it. Although it's a nice vape, it's not the knock-your-sox-off kind of delicious thing that I think this general direction could take us, so I'm excited to hear how you like your variants.

re steeping: IMO the only thing that could possibly "need" more than a few days might be fa black tea, but to be honest, I vaped this within a week. so am not really sure. I didn't make any note of changes.
I do imagine the fruit flavors blend-IN with one another more over time, and possibly more with the tea flavor. You'll have to tell us!
Hey there !
So I tried it with pear at 3%... it was a little too much pear for me. Trying the next batch with my previous measures and one with your original recipe. I will let you know. Thanks for sharing !

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey lirruping!! Just finished my bottle of this. Did 1% FA tea, .5% FA White Peach and
5% FA Bergamot. I enjoyed it. Now to make me some lemonade-raspberry tea!

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey lirruping!! Just finished my bottle of this. Did 1% FA tea, .5% FA White Peach and
5% FA Bergamot. I enjoyed it. Now to make me some lemonade-raspberry tea!

I'm guessing the peach flavor came right through through at 0.5% of WP? I bet that was tasty. I never don't like white peach. When I take another crack at this, tho, I plan to remove the peach entirely at first to see if that's what's changing the flavor from what I remember. I also want to try it with Bergamot, tho a little less, like o.25%. Did that work the way you'd hoped?

I wonder if I could use a dilution of fa condensed milk here to sour up the fruit a little more & add a slight milkiness--or if it will just taste like fruit in sour milk. I'll let you know if I ever get myself together to do anything but old standby type vapes. Still setting up...not settled-in enough to feel very creative yet. I indulge my ocd tendencies a little too much. Time to get moving!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh woman, you can come to my place and indulge your ocd tendencies! I need them with 3 kids, two grand kids, a dog, and a cat, and my husband.

The white peach really brightened it and could be tasted clearly. I did not notice the bergamot much due to the white peach. When I was down to 2 ml of your tea I mixed it in my tank with my Ralph's Peach Tabacco and it was tasty. I hate to waste and love doing that stuff.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey there !
So I tried it with pear at 3%... it was a little too much pear for me. Trying the next batch with my previous measures and one with your original recipe. I will let you know. Thanks for sharing !
Man, I'm sorry it was too much for you and suggesting you up it. We are all so different with our tasters. I'd suggest honey to sweeten tea, but FA honey is too strong for me even at .1%, but that is me and my tasters.

hindiana

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Man, I'm sorry it was too much for you and suggesting you up it. We are all so different with our tasters. I'd suggest honey to sweeten tea, but FA honey is too strong for me even at .1%, but that is me and my tasters.
No worries Daintanee ! I usually follow your advice - I think you have great intuition and definitely way more experience than I have :)
I think it's also that I was looking for something else you know - so I guess I wasn't prepared for that :)
And yes I have the same problem with Honey... I'll try diluting it down and see if I can work it out. Thanks again to both of you !

VU Sponsors