Become a Patron!

Penn Medicine Expert Reveals the Dangers of Vaping (Not Really)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://www.med.upenn.edu/rare-lung-diseases/frank-leone.html

Dr. Leone directs Penn's Comprehensive Smoking Treatment Program, a clinical program of the Penn Lung Center. The new program provides state-of-the-art and individualized treatment to smokers, including those with comorbidities. Dr. Leone's scholarship focuses on investigating treatment strategies for tobacco use disorder and the effects of smoke on airway biology. Dr. Leone is a member of several professional and scientific societies, including the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, and has served as President of the Board of Directors of the American Lung Association of Pennsylvania. He has served the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as a legislative appointee to the Governor's Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation Advisory Committee since 2001.

Seems like a whole lot of conflict of interest with this one - 5150

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I could have saved him all that wasted time with this one sentence.

"In the meantime, Leone hopes that people who seriously want to end their nicotine addictions will turn to medically based programs like those at Penn Medicine."

You can't use ecigs because we're losing money. The end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

VaporCat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dr. Leone makes no distinction between the harmful effects of smoking addiction and the relatively benign effects of nicotine dependence, and is counting on the general public to be equally as blind. This shows a lack of understanding, deceit, or a bit of both. I don't want to end my use of nicotine, and with vaping, I don't have to. Show us the evidence of harm.

VaporCat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry, I couldn't resist...
“It’s not water vapor,” Leone says. “And it’s not a nicotine delivery device. It’s a nicotine, glycol, formaldehyde and propylene delivery device. Those chemicals have deleterious effects on the body that may be completely different from the carcinogens in regular cigarettes. We just don’t know.”

We know that neither propylene glycol nor vegetable-derived glycerin have ever been shown to cause harm from inhalation, so again we fall back on the old formaldehyde lie. Look, I'm so tired of hearing this formaldehyde bullshit, enough already. Have you ever smelled formaldehyde? Of course you have, when you dissected that frog in biology. Can you imagine what its like when inhaled in some appreciable quantity? You'de freaking gag. I can confidently say that nothing I vape tastes like anything that resembles formaldehyde. Ok, there was that time I got a dry hit, but really, once was enough to convince me not to do it again. All this amounts to is fear mongering, instilling FUD by playing on peoples willingness to trust and believe the "experts".

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Right, all he has to reveal is FUD.

Oh, and he harps on "nicotine addiction" a lot.

He wants manufacturers to refine vapes so that the level of nicotine delivery doesn’t vary. That would help smokers use them to quit cigarettes, then help them quit vaping.
What? How exactly is that supposed to be helpful to those who wish to wean themselves off nicotine slowly?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Right, all he has to reveal is FUD.

Oh, and he harps on "nicotine addiction" a lot.

What? How exactly is that supposed to be helpful to those who wish to wean themselves off nicotine slowly?

Plus the fact that since vaping is a *replacement* for smoking, quitting it almost always = returning to smoking. But I guess that would be ok, since then the money train would keep rolling.

Andria

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This fine "study" shows NOTHING except what happens when you put complete imbeciles in charge of anything even remotely important.

Andria

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
And now it's "tobacco use disorder"???
Yep. Google has over 150,000 results for it, including related diagnosis codes.

Sheesus. But I'm sure they have a pill for that. :facepalm:
Of course they do!

last-cigarette.jpg

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
As soon as that hits the PDR or DSM can we all go out on disability? After all they keep trying to push that vaping is a tobacco product...

I have a new disorder! :bliss:

ETA:

Yep. Google has over 150,000 results for it, including related diagnosis codes.

Oh! It's already in the DSM! All we need is a lawyer to twist it into a disabling condition. Easy!

:bliss:

These idiots should be careful what they ask for...

Last edited:

VU Sponsors