Peter Dinklage Says House Of the Dragon Shouldn't 'Recreate Game Of Thrones'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Game of Thrones actor Peter Dinklage hopes that HBO's upcoming prequel spinoff doesn't just milk the iconic original series for all its worth.

In a new interview with Independent, Dinklage offered up some advice for the Targaryen-focused series, House of the Dragon, saying, "I think the trick is not to try to recreate Game of Thrones."

"If you try to recreate it, that feels like a money grab. With a lot of sequels, the reason for them is that the first one made a lot of money, which is why they aren't as strong. But I'm excited to watch House of the Dragon purely as a viewer, not knowing what will happen next."

House of the Dragon is set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones and will focus on House Targaryen, the ancestors of Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow. In Game of Thrones lore, the Targaryens ruled over the continent of Westeros for generations before Robert Baratheon assumed control of the land in his rebellion.

Dinklage also had some words for folks still salty at how Game of Thrones ended its final season.

“People were just mad because nobody wanted it to be over,” Dinklage says of the outcry. “I know a lot of people were supposedly surprised by the ending, but if you paid attention, the clues were there. We told you not to name your dog Khaleesi.”

House of the Dragon is only one of many Game of Thrones spinoffs HBO is producing, including an animated series, multiple live-action series, and an ongoing deal between George R.R. Martin and HBO.

House of the Dragon has at least one (not-so-objective) fan already. Martin revealed earlier this month that he has already watched the first episode, saying he "loved it. It’s dark, it’s powerful, it’s visceral… just the way I like my epic fantasy."

Joseph Knoop is a writer/producer/bird for IGN.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors