Become a Patron!

Photobucket Just Broke Billions of Photos Across the Web

Johnny VapeStand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
missingphotobucketfeat.jpg

Since 2003, the popular photo hosting service Photobucket has been letting users upload and host images for free on their servers. They have over 10 billion images stored by 100 million registered users. But now they’re going to start charging, and that means billions of images around the Web are now broken.

Hotlinking (AKA inline linking) is when someone takes an image file hosted on a server and embeds it on a different webpage elsewhere. Since the new webpage continuously requests the file from the original source server, it saps the server owner’s bandwidth (and storage space).

Photobucket allowed hotlinking photos uploaded to and stored on its servers for a long time. This was their business model, and they made money from ads on their own site, which users would be exposed to when they went to upload content.

Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things are about to change in a big way as of June 26th. Now the service is rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere. That means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question.

546259-photobucket-3rd-party-hosting-broken-image.jpg

Just look at this forum thread to see how Photobucket users are reacting to this change. The move has sparked fury from users, who have relied on the service for years and now feel “blackmailed” into paying the subscription fee.

⚠️ Questions about your account? We’re here for you! Send us a DM or email our team at [email protected].

— Photobucket (@photobucket) 27 June 2017

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
IMO, they've always been something of a mess, but I know a ton of people used their services.. I quit using them years ago. Their current situation has really messed with a lot of people. Sadly, a lot of vendors here, too. Lately, I'm seeing a ton of broke down photos, lol.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have never and will not ever store any of my data on anyone's servers or NAS but my own. Yes it is free to get you started but then OK sorry but now you must pay like the crack dealers in the late 80s. Storing your data on someones service or server lets them decide what and when you have access. All those images posted now show you will not pay the ransom.

VU Sponsors