Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Mod Review - The Hadron 220 by Steam Crave

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone and welcome to another review. This is Pizza Dave and today I will be going over the Hadron 220w mod by Steam Crave. This device is a monster, with some solid weight and size. It houses two 21700 batteries, has a max output of 220w, has a Yihi chipset, and can accommodate up to 38mm without overhang. I really wish they would have gone to 40mm, as that opens the door for some other large atties, but it is what it is. Also, they released an optional squonking “backpack” for this, which turns the mod into a huge 18mL squonker. It’s a beast, so let’s get right to it eh?

DISCLAIMER: This device was sent to me by Steam Crave for review.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT YOU GET

• Hadron 220w mod

• Spare O-rings and seals (for squonk attachment)

• Micro-USB Charging Cable

• 18650 Battery Adapter

• Paperwork

• IF you get the Backpack, it comes with mounting screws, o-rings, and some paperwork as well.

Available in black or gunmetal

PACKAGING
U9nadtO.jpg

UNBOXED
wm1A4Pm.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Measurements: 99.2mm x 48mm x 38mm

Battery: Dual 21700 (or 2-`18650 w/ adapter)

Power Range: 5-220w in .1-watt increments

Capacity: The squonking backpack holds 18mL of liquid

Other features: Yihi SX480 chipset. Also has optional squonk backpack attachment.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Oh boy, this is a big dog. FIrst thing that jumps out is how simple this looks, but also how large it looks. It is just a big ol’ rectangle box mod, with simple lines and grooves all over for styling. At the top, I found a nice, sturdy 510 plate with room for up to a 38mm atomizer. Within this 510 plate is a ring for inserting an o-ring. This o-ring serves two purposes. First, a large atomizer doesn’t need to rest super tight on the mod and scuff it up, but it also creates a good seal for squonking. Working our way down, you will see a familiar looking display. The screen and button layout matches that of the Topside Carbon. 99% sure the chips are the same, which makes sense after seeing them side by side. On powerup, the display shows the classic Steam Crave logo, then it looks just like the Topside Carbon. All of the buttons feel nice and clicky, and the device feels solid in hand. Tiny, tiny bit of battery rattle on this, but it is only noticeable if you are trying to use the mod as a maraca. At the bottom, you will find a hinging battery door with a release button. Door feels decent, and the latch is solid. Battery indication is engraved into the battery contact plate. Last thing to discuss is what you see on the back. Up top is a silicone plug, and down low are some holes and a threaded port. These are for the squonking backpack. I did get that to review, so I am going to have an entire section just for that piece.

OPERATION

Like I said in the intro, this chipset seems like the same one that was in the Topside Carbon. It is one of the more simple Yihi Chipsets to get used to using, and with a little bit of time, it becomes second nature. Here’s the rundown.

• 5 clicks of the fire button turns the device on

• Once on, 5 clicks of the fire buttons enters the main menu with the following
    • System off

• Manual TCR

• Temp Units

• Standby Time

• Exit
  • When in the main operating screen, 3 clicks of the fire button locks out the adjustment buttons

• To adjust temp or power, press the middle button on the bottom until the unit is highlighted, then press up and down to adjust. Keep on pressing that middle button and it will cycle through operating modes
    • Wattage

• Joules

• Temp Control. If you press the middle button in TC again, it highlights the material block, where it can be cycled from SS316, Ti, Ni200, TCR, and back to SS.
  • Holding the middle button will detect atomizer resistance

• When sitting in any mode, holding the bottom button cycles through preheat levels
    • Soft

• Standard

• Powerful

• Powerful +
  • You can also hold the top button down and this cycles through M1-M5 memory settings

I will admit that it took some time to get the hang of these button combos, and I somehow discover new ones all the time. I never like to grab the manual because I like to judge a mod by how any average Joe can pick it up and use it. I did go to the manual at the beginning of this one to refresh my memory on some stuff, but like I said, it kind of becomes second nature once you play with it for a while.

USEAGE

Alright, so let’s vape the thing. First off, I mostly used this with the Ragnar RDTA. I used it in both tank mode and RDA mode as a squonker. I didn’t mess around with TC much at all, but know from past experience that with some fiddling, the TC can perform quite well. As a wattage device though, it’s pretty impressive. I like the preheat settings, so ramp up can be calm, or wild depending on where you set it. There were a few instances where it didn’t fire for some reason, but I would just hit the fire button and away it would go. I have no idea why this was, as there were no alerts, but it just happens every 200 puffs or so. It seemed like a huge device at first, but actually it is quite comfortable to use. The shape fits my hand perfect and I love how responsive and clicky the buttons are. It didn’t leave the house a lot, but when it did, the size didn’t bug me.

However, as a squonker, this thing gets big and cumbersome. It does the job though, offering up 18ml of liquid capacity and a pump system that actually works very well. They claim each pump is .4ml of liquid, and I think they are pretty close. The pumping becomes a normal thing, and I found it to be a great pairing for atomizers like the Temple 28 or Asgard 30. It was fun to use those large atomizers on the go no problem. Even the Ragnar as an RDA was a great combo with a squonker. It has a simple refill top and a full length sight glass to see liquid level. If you are someone who wants a large squonker at home or are a truck driver, look no further. It’s pretty awesome actually. Yes… it’s huge and takes some big hands, but it’s just kind of awkwardly fun to use.

PHOTO GALLERY

HADRON ALBUM

ArEWmtL.jpg

6sTCBT7.jpg

WCIadKN.jpg

VgNh51Y.jpg

kT2zUBs.jpg

dx0uxhN.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FINAL THOUGHTS

A few key factors come into play when we discuss the Hadron. The most obvious is the size. It’s tall, it’s heavy, and it’s just not super pocket friendly. Another factor is if you have a use for something so large, especially as a squonker. I always like having big mods at home, so I quickly became a fan of the mod. I also love how well it pairs with the Ragnar RDTA, which is easily one of my favorite atomizers to date. I think the Ragnar even sways me a bit into liking the Hadron more because they are such an amazing combo. Beyond this combo, there aren’t a ton of atomizers that work well on here. At 38mm wide, it will show a slight overhang with 40mm tanks or rdas, and at 38mm wide, even 30mm look small on top. The Asgard 30 w/ beauty ring looks decent, but still almost too small up top. These are all things to take into account. Another is the Yihi chipset. It is very functional, and does a great job, but it takes some getting used to with the way they run through menus, perform button combos, and even some of their lingo is different than what we are used to. If size isn’t an issue for you, I think you would be hard pressed to find another dual 21700 of this magnitude, especially one that can squonk as well as this does with the backpack attachment. It is all executed with simplicity and functionality in mind, and it just works. I can’t express size and weight enough… BUT. If those two things are not a problem for you, or you have a Ragnar and need the perfect match, then the Hadron is just what the dr. ordered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OVEN TEST – If this were to accidentally fall into the pizza oven, would I go out and get another? I would… just to keep this Ragnar / Hadron combo going strong.

PROS

• Solid feeling mod

• Squonking backpack attachment is actually pretty badass

• Can accommodate the Ragnar RDTA and look normal doing so

• Nice, clicky buttons

• Lots of options with the Yihi chipset

CONS

• Heavy

• On the larger side

• Kind of an odd size, stuck between making atomizers looking small and not quite accommodating a 40mm tank/rda

Thank you everyone and thank you to Steam Crave for sending this my way for review. They have these listed for $109.90 US or £87.58 in the UK.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
FINAL THOUGHTS

A few key factors come into play when we discuss the Hadron. The most obvious is the size. It’s tall, it’s heavy, and it’s just not super pocket friendly. Another factor is if you have a use for something so large, especially as a squonker. I always like having big mods at home, so I quickly became a fan of the mod. I also love how well it pairs with the Ragnar RDTA, which is easily one of my favorite atomizers to date. I think the Ragnar even sways me a bit into liking the Hadron more because they are such an amazing combo. Beyond this combo, there aren’t a ton of atomizers that work well on here. At 38mm wide, it will show a slight overhang with 40mm tanks or rdas, and at 38mm wide, even 30mm look small on top. The Asgard 30 w/ beauty ring looks decent, but still almost too small up top. These are all things to take into account. Another is the Yihi chipset. It is very functional, and does a great job, but it takes some getting used to with the way they run through menus, perform button combos, and even some of their lingo is different than what we are used to. If size isn’t an issue for you, I think you would be hard pressed to find another dual 21700 of this magnitude, especially one that can squonk as well as this does with the backpack attachment. It is all executed with simplicity and functionality in mind, and it just works. I can’t express size and weight enough… BUT. If those two things are not a problem for you, or you have a Ragnar and need the perfect match, then the Hadron is just what the dr. ordered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OVEN TEST – If this were to accidentally fall into the pizza oven, would I go out and get another? I would… just to keep this Ragnar / Hadron combo going strong.

PROS

• Solid feeling mod

• Squonking backpack attachment is actually pretty badass

• Can accommodate the Ragnar RDTA and look normal doing so

• Nice, clicky buttons

• Lots of options with the Yihi chipset

CONS

• Heavy

• On the larger side

• Kind of an odd size, stuck between making atomizers looking small and not quite accommodating a 40mm tank/rda

Thank you everyone and thank you to Steam Crave for sending this my way for review. They have these listed for $109.90 US or £87.58 in the UK.

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.
:giggle: A back pack for it, how bizarre, yet clever too!

VU Sponsors