Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A Squonk Kit Review - The Wasp Nano by Oumier

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
INTRODUCTION

_____________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Everyone and welcome to Pizza Dave’s Vape Reviews and today I will be going over the Wasp Nano Squonk kit by Oumier. Ah yes, the Wasp Nano. It is one of the most beloved small atomizers ever made. For a while it was held as a pinnacle of great flavor for a cheap price, so why not just make a kit out of it? I can’t help but think that Oumier has been sitting around, watching forums and other online vaping media and found that so many loved that atomizer that they went for it and made this kit. It’s been out for a while, and for me, it seems to have flown under the radar. Now, it is my turn to give my opinion on the Wasp Nano Kit. Let’s get right to it eh?

Disclaimer: This device was sent to me by Buybest for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Wasp Nano Squonk Mod
  • 1 Wasp Nano RDA
  • 1 510 resin drip tip
  • Screwdriver
  • Spare Parts
  • Cotton
  • 1 Spaced fused Clapton coil
  • Paperwork

- Available in purple, green, and red.

STOCK SHOT
DkbIaci.jpg

PACKAGING
pA6k7SM.jpg

UNBOXED
8K6pvB5.jpg

MOD OVERVIEW

• Measurements – 99.6mm x 26mm x 48mm
  • Range – non-regulated with voltage range of 3.2-4.2v
  • Resistance range - .15 to 3 ohms
  • Battery – Single 18650
  • Bottle Capacity - 8ml
  • Material – I couldn’t find it listed, but I am willing to bet it is resin and stainless steel.
  • Atomizer Compatibility – 25mm w/o overhang

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Gorgeous! That was the first thing that popped in my head when I opened the box. The mix of resin and brushed gunmetal work well together. It looks really great, even though the colors are a bit out there. If you like the color choices, you will love how this looks in person. The resin exterior has a honeycomb pattern inlay which plays off the Wasp theme well and the atomizer colors look excellent as well. This thing is solid. The feel in hand is excellent, and I couldn’t be more impressed by the overall fit and finish of this device.

OPERATION

The overall operation segment isn’t going to take long. This is a non-regulated mechanical mode which features all of the protections we are used to seeing these days. Five clicks of the fire button turn the device on and off, and it features a small LED above the USB port to indicate faults and battery life.

BATTERY INDICATION

• Green – above 3.9v
  • Blue – 3.6v-3.9v
  • Red – less than 3.6v

It doesn’t last too long once it hits the red, but being this functions basically the same as a mechanical mod, you will feel a drop off in vapor production and vapor temperature well above hitting the red. The amount of battery life you get will be solely based on what resistance you run, so I won’t comment on that here.

The only other tidbit of info you may want to know is about the squonk bottle. This features an 8ml bottle, which is the generic removable bottle hidden behind a magnetic cover plate which is well secured. The bottle is kind of odd though. On one hand, it has great knurling and a cap system which gave me plenty of grip for unscrewing without making a mess. On the other hand, it is sticky? The silicone on this is just sticky right away, and it has a smell. I didn’t chance anything with it and gave mine an alcohol rinse a good cleaning before I filled it up. It never proved to be an issue during use, and maybe it would have been just fine, but I didn’t want to mess around with it.

HOW IT VAPES

The vape that you get from this will be 100% based on how you build it. The Wasp nano atomizer can provide some excellent flavor, but one issue with a single coil on a mechanically functioning device is dialing the right resistance for fast ramp up and higher temperature. I built mine with a few different coils and found the sweet spot to be right at about 18-ohms and not a ton of mass. It provided a warm, flavorful vape that was quite enjoyable. The Wasp Nano has been talked about so much that I don’t feel I need to go on and on about it, but it works well on this device. It is easy to build and wick, and the flavor is great for how cheap it is. The only thing I never liked about them is depending on the build, the air flow can get kind of turbulent or even produce a whistle that my dog does not appreciate. The thing can also get a bit spitty with it’s low stature. Luckily the kit comes with an extended tip which gets your mouth a little further from the coils. Flavor reduction is slight, but at least you don’t get a ton of spit back with it. With a single 18650, I was able to get through a full workday of use, which also equated to about 1 full bottle. Yeah, the vapor temp was dropping off around the end, but that is to be expected with a single 18650 device.

PHOTO GALLERY

Wasp Nano Squonk Album

NU1wpkW.jpg

X0zzj2B.jpg

tE6htAo.jpg

cw5bQQ8.jpg

z67mj4O.jpg

9YHNzza.jpg

TBHQTsr.jpg

aLnnGgf.jpg

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
FINAL THOUGHTS

I have extremely mixed feelings about this device. To keep this from getting wordy like I often do, I am breaking it down into what I like and what I don’t like.

WHAT I LIKE – The fit and finish is excellent. The brushed metal look is done well, and the resin is unique on everyone. The button feels nice and clicky and the whole thing fits in the hand like a glove. The Wasp Nano is a cheap atomizer that just vapes well, and it pairs up well on this device.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE – The colors are unique, but they will not be for everyone. The squonk bottle is sticky, and I questioned liquid contamination at first. It takes some time to dial in just the right single coil for mechanical use. My least favorite aspect of this is the 18650 battery. I am spoiled by 21700s, as they last longer and offer less voltage drop.

Like I said, some mixed feelings. It feels so nice, and looks great, but it doesn’t offer anything that hasn’t been done before. I kind of look at it like a new Pico squeeze V1. The biggest let down on this is the 18650 battery. 21700s are superior in so many ways, especially for single cell devices. I would like to see this one reworked with a 21700 battery and more basic color schemes. I think the best judgement of if this device is for you comes down to a few simple questions.

- Do you like the colors?

- Do you like single 18650 mechanical-functioning devices?

- Do you like squonking?

If you say yes to all three of those things, you will love this device. Simple as that.

OVEN TEST

If I this were to accidentally fall into my pizza oven would I go out and get another? No, not this time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROS

• Great build quality
  • Good flavor
  • Matchy Matchy kit
  • Love the overall style of mixing resin with metal

CONS

• Colors are loud and not going to be for everyone
  • Single 18650 is dwarfed by 20700 or 21700 devices these days
  • Squonk bottle is sticky and stinky
  • Feels kind of outdated

Thank you all for reading and thank you to Buybest for sending this my way for review. The price online varies from around $40 to 90, however, they are sold out in several places. Buybest has them, in stock, for $52.76.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

VU Sponsors