Become a Patron!

PLEASE Help with this Erythritol Experiment...

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This new thread is a continuation of an old thread - https://vapingunderground.com/threa...etener-with-a-weird-name.275445/#post-3354851

I purchased the Erythritol in Powdered form so it will dissolve better (hopefully)...

Anthony's seems to be one of the best brands according to reviews.

https://a.co/d/4nO0Hxa

IMG_20221024_132522382 (3).jpg

When tasting it straight out of the package, it does in fact have a cooling sensation - as noted by others in some of the reviews. I am not sure if this will give a cooling sensation when vaped though. It is def not as sweet as sugar - claims say it's about 70% as sweet where Sucralose is like 600 times sweeter than sugar. I have no idea what percentage companies are using to mix sucralose into PG to make "Sweetener".

I looked up the weight of VG and PG
30ml of VG weighs 37.8 grams
30ml of PG weighs 28.958 grams (I'll just simplify and call it 29g)

Since I mix by weight, I'm going to make the Erythritol mixture based on weight and start at 10%

I do not know how much 30ml of Erythritol powder weighs and am not sure how to best figure this out so
1. I would appreciate any help/suggestions!!

For my first experiment I will just pretend it weighs the same as the product I'm mixing it in for ease of measurements.
2. I know this isn't correct but am not sure how else to do this. Maybe someone is or knows a 'scientist/lab tech" who can help us with this??? Trying to keep this simple - without a bunch of complex calculations!

This is going to be skewed for 2 reasons - VG weighs more and is sweeter than PG so by using this method, the VG version is going to have more Erythritol and is already sweeter than PG so it's going to be significantly sweeter. This is a bit backwards IMO - Since VG is sweeter, I think I need to be adding more Erythritol to the PG to get the same sweetness level.

3. Pick a Method
METHOD 1
So, based on my skewed calculations -
For VG it would be 3.78 grams Erythritol mixed in 34.02 grams VG = 10% Erythritol by weight
For PG it would be 2.90 grams Erythritol mixed in 26.10 grams PG = 10% Erythritol by weight.

Maybe I should swap the Erythritol amounts between VG and PG to help balance this out?
YEAH - not very scientific at all!

hmmmmm - Just thinking 'out loud'...

METHOD 2
What if I just do 3 grams Erythritol then subtract that from the total weights of 30ml

VG - 3 grams Erythritol to 34.8 grams VG = 30ml (37.8g)
PG - 3 grams Erythritol to 26.0 grams PG = 30ml (29.0g)

This still isn't going to be entirely accurate and the VG will still be sweeter (since it's naturally sweeter) so maybe increase the Erythritol to 3.5 grams for the PG?
METHOD 3
VG - 3.0g Erythritol to 34.8g VG
PG - 3.5g Erythritol to 25.5g PG

maybe this isn't enough difference???

METHOD 4
VG - 3.0g Erythritol to 34.8g VG
PG - 4.0g Erythritol to 25.0g PG

4. What do you all think about this?

Keeping in mind that I will need to make multiple variations to get the mixture sweet enough to use - or may have to back down a bit - could just use more/less of the mixture in the recipe too.

ARGH!!! - too many variables!!! I need another brain or 10 to help with this!!!

Last edited:

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some background from the old thread...

I've been using a 30ml bottle of Erythritol that I got from Nude Nicotine about 3 years ago. It is 5% Erythritol in VG - so that's why I was going with the VG option..

BUT - all the eLiquid calculators assume that flavorings, including sweetener, are in PG so that's why I am going to try this in PG as well.

The bottle of VG Erythritol I got from Nude Nicotine is not very sweet at all, so that's why I'm starting at 10% instead of the 5% they used.

Does ANYONE know what % of Sucralose the various companies use when they make their "sweetener"?

Sucralose is about 600 times sweeter than sugar where Erythritol is about 70% as sweet so I would need to use approx 630% more Erythritol than what 'they' are using as a sucralose ratio. - if that makes sense???

so if they are using 1% sucralose to 99% PG, I would need to use about 7% Erythritol to 93% PG... Not exact but this is def not a perfect experiment!

Last edited:

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So after all of this 'nonsense' I realized that NudeNic is back in business and selling the Erythritol that I like so much - and there are other places selling it to - so this experiment has fizzled a bit.

VU Sponsors