Become a Patron!

Post PMTA places to shop?

Have been off cigs for two years in October and am sickened by the FDA's actions at the hands of Big Tobacco. Told my wife that once the vape stash runs out, I may well have to go back to smoking.

I have managed to order enough pod supplies/devices/nic salts to last until December 2021. That gives me a year to figure things out. Looks like I am too late in the game to get a proper understanding of building my own mod setup and making my own nic salts, unfortunately.

I do have friends in Asia, Australia, Canada and across Europe that I can ask to make purchases for me and ship to me in the US as a last resort.

Wondering if anyone has information about vape shops/websites that will actually remain open?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
We'll have to wait and see.
You should be able to still find products for a while.
Some of the eliquids & hardware will be gone right away but any company that filed a PTMA application can keep their product(s) on the market until they are reviewed.
The FDA won't tell anyone who filed the PTMA's though. :facepalm:

Thanks for the info and encouragement. Is there a DIY guide/thread for beginners to build their own systems for nic salts? I have zero knowledge and although I am handy around the house, I am NOT good with machines/mechanical things.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not to seem vague, but a lot of people are using the same process with nic salt as they do freebase nic. We have a huge DIY section. Recipes, general discussion, places to buy, supplies you'll need... so far, nic isn't being hit, but if/when it does, it'll be horribly expensive.

https://vapingunderground.com/#diy-e-liquid-do-it-yourself.137 check out this section, take notes. Don't let it overwhelm you, it's just learning something new. Takes notes, takes notes.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know you've heard this, but get your hands on a couple good mechanical devices that will last for centuries and learn how to build and use them. I'm convinced it's a rare individual who is actually and truly incapable of learning how to enjoy mechs safely.

Get yourself some liquid nicotine now. For 100 bucks you can get years worth. Other ingredients are likely to be available for a good while.

One thing you will always be able to get is wire and cotton. Building is not hard once you learn it.

There are those who disagree with me and I hope they're right, but I think they're going to go after batteries. We'll have to see about those.

Nicotine and vaping specific hardware is what is most likely to get scarce the soonest. That's why I say to get those now if at all possible.

I know you've heard this, but get your hands on a couple good mechanical devices that will last for centuries and learn how to build and use them. I'm convinced it's a rare individual who is actually and truly incapable of learning how to enjoy mechs safely.

Get yourself some liquid nicotine now. For 100 bucks you can get years worth. Other ingredients are likely to be available for a good while.

One thing you will always be able to get is wire and cotton. Building is not hard once you learn it.

There are those who disagree with me and I hope they're right, but I think they're going to go after batteries. We'll have to see about those.

Nicotine and vaping specific hardware is what is most likely to get scarce the soonest. That's why I say to get those now if at all possible.
Any recs for a mechanical device to buy?

natebuchanan

Member For 4 Years
Any recs for a mechanical device to buy?
I’ve got a few of Stan/tenacioustxvapes’s mechs, and for the price they’re outstanding. I’ve got a Dreamer and a Keen for my lower builds and a Notion for my MTL/0.5-1.5 ohm builds, and I love all 3 of them. The Dreamer and Keen can be had for less than $80, and the Notion for like $45. He’s got a new tube out called the Heavy Hitter that has been getting good reviews, and I believe it’s $70, but I can’t vouch for it. If you’ve got the coin for a Kennedy, even better. Hope this helps.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I’ve got a few of Stan/tenacioustxvapes’s mechs, and for the price they’re outstanding. I’ve got a Dreamer and a Keen for my lower builds and a Notion for my MTL/0.5-1.5 ohm builds, and I love all 3 of them. The Dreamer and Keen can be had for less than $80, and the Notion for like $45. He’s got a new tube out called the Heavy Hitter that has been getting good reviews, and I believe it’s $70, but I can’t vouch for it. If you’ve got the coin for a Kennedy, even better. Hope this helps.
Another popular choice in the high bang for the buck category (well not a literal bang I should hope, as vaping on lithium-ion rechargeable typical round cells can never be "safe" like @gsmit1 probably already knows but failed to mention in his post─it's all shades of gray, with safety "best practices" and guidelines being the only norm...) would be the Clutch mech mod. I don't have one, but I know Mooch likes his. If all goes well he will be live streaming on YouTube again this Sunday evening during his next "Power Hour" (live streaming event).

The Clutch is easy to maintain, AFAIK it hits harder than any of the ones you listed, and, the long strip of metal that is the firing contact that also connects the bottom of the battery to the firing mechanism near the top is actually made from a single long strip of solid silver, which does help a lot with avoiding arcing damage. In addition to this, it is constant contact so what little arcing damage will still occur will be on the firing contacts' surfaces─as opposed to it being on the battery... and it's got a safety 510 connector.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I got super bust today (and am dead tired) and didn't get a chance to answer this fella. I also figured he would get other good answers as well.

i don't have a Clutch either, but it's on my radar.

A solid parallel box is another great choice. Long battery life and can take really low builds if that's desired. With that though you just have to make to NEVER put the batteries in wrong.

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, I got super bust today (and am dead tired) and didn't get a chance to answer this fella. I also figured he would get other good answers as well.

A solid parallel box is another great choice. Long battery life and can take really low builds if that's desired. With that though you just have to make to NEVER put the batteries in wrong.
In my opinion a Clutch is a must have mech mod.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

With a parallel box, even if you DON'T put the batteries in wrong, there's still also the added risk inherent of battery imbalance. This is why a series box with an RDA that uses a series deck (such as the one that is separately sold for the Asgard Mini RDA, for example, or for another example, the Axial Pro RDA, the latter having a series deck already included in the package) may be a wiser choice for those who are entering the learning phase...

EDIT: Actually, even with a single battery mech, using the wrong battery orientation is not necessarily always without added risk. This is due to different mechs using potentially different locations for the venting holes, in cohort with having a potentially limited amount of space between the side of the battery and the inside of the mech mod's body so you still need to make sure that the pressure can escape fast enough in the possible event of a battery venting. Venting is rare if you stay below the true CDR of the battery you select for vaping, and you don't short circuit the battery. But this doesn't also mean it can never happen despite taking these battery safety rules always strict. (And, going above the true CDR should not be recommended, but can still nevertheless be done with relative safety due the fact everyone is responsible for their own safety, albeit this greatly depends on one's own personal advanced, correct, knowledge and level of both discipline and constant awareness.)

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The FDA won't tell anyone who filed the PTMA's though. :facepalm:
They are not allowed to per privacy rules and such.

But yes Frustrating for we vapers out there.
There should be a list of devices with accepted applications in around 90 days.
ie items still allowed to be sold for up to 1 year from filing date or until rejected or passed.

I am pretty certain there will be cigalikes and sealed pod systems among those with accepted applications.

I hope I am wrong but from reading the PMTA requirements docs I do not expect bottled juice or open vape systems to be approved.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We had several hundreds file PMTA's last year all but a handful of the applications were not accepted.

The FDA is giving those who file before 9-9 up to 90 days to work out problems with their applications to get them into acceptable content/format because of covid impact.

So we will really know how it shakes out in about 90 days.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also I am not sure that posting places to buy vape stuff after PMTA enforcement date is a good idea as the FDA has stated they will be watching social media and such...

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In addition to this, it is constant contact so what little arcing damage will still occur will be on the firing contacts' surfaces─as opposed to it being on the battery... and it's got a safety 510 connector.

I'm not a mech guru. But doesn't that mean that, for long term vapocalypse planning, one should also then consider stocking up on that contact since essentially it is a consumable and, once damaged to a certain degree, will render the device useless until replaced?

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I like this vendor, They take PayPal.

Well, that's because they aren't in the USA. Paypal isn't allowed to take payment for vape in the USA because the tribe that rules the US banking system, and the governments they control, forbid 3rd party payment processors to collect payment for certain things, vape being one of them. Otherwise Paypal would do it. It's money in the bank for them. They'd take payment for prostitution and drug deals if they were allowed. Payment processing is their business.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Well, that's because they aren't in the USA. Paypal isn't allowed to take payment for vape in the USA because the tribe that rules the US banking system, and the governments they control, forbid 3rd party payment processors to collect payment for certain things, vape being one of them. Otherwise Paypal would do it. It's money in the bank for them. They'd take payment for prostitution and drug deals if they were allowed. Payment processing is their business.

they are like how totally wicked used to be.
Headquartered in the UK with US locations.
That somehow gives them a pass on the PayPal thing.

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm not a mech guru. But doesn't that mean that, for long term vapocalypse planning, one should also then consider stocking up on that contact since essentially it is a consumable and, once damaged to a certain degree, will render the device useless until replaced?
I'm not a mech guru either, despite I have a nice (some would say too nice...) collection. I'm just a guy with intermediate knowledge and a little bit of experience, but I did some reading up on several advanced topics such as arcing (and micro arcing, which is not the same thing as arcing...), and on what are the best strategies to avoid these problems. (And why.)

If two flat metal surfaces are pressed against each other flat, then tolerances in the machining and imperfections in the flatness and/or smoothness of the polished surfaces still ultimately limit the total surface area of those specific locations where no air gap occurs between them. Pressing the button disc in a slightly different spot causes the metal part to shift and/or tilt ever so slightly differently when it moves so as a result there will always be subtle variations happening in cohort with the imperfections. If you try to keep the contact surfaces as perfectly flat and smooth as possible the whole time, with each polishing session you will be removing a thin layer of metal always repeatedly until finally, the cumulated effect will be more similar to having poor tolerances in the machining so, excessive heavy polishing can be equally as bad as letting arcing marks grow worse over too long a period of time. Any copper firing pin worth its salt can be maintained with a pencil eraser to remove just the high points─the tiny specks that are bumps on top of the surface that are caused by arcing damage. Ideally, this should be done a few times per day. As part of regular maintenance a sheet of 1000 grit sandpaper laying on a flat hard surface can also be used in addition to this, carefully gently, after you remove the firing pin. But the pits should not be removed, as removing them just takes away far too much metal like I said.

As for removing the high points on the bottom of the battery itself (or top of the battery, if the mech in question is designed such that the battery needs to be upside down, and uses the type of switch that isn't a constant contact switch) the best approach AFAIK is to use the Heavy Duty version of 3M Scotch Brite scouring pads specifically for this purpose. While it is true the fact a constant contact button is what can be used to eliminate this specific part of arcing damage before it happens, arcing damage still occurs inside the button nevertheless, so... proper maintenance is still going to be a thing to keep you busy.

That said, I think a bare solid copper firing pin should be able to last more than a lifetime. But that's assuming you didn't buy the type of mech that has severe arcing (yes... there are some real nasty mechs out there that are definitely not worth buying except maybe if they can still be fixed) and you aren't constantly neglecting the arcing marks so badly that more arcing marks pile up at a quasi exponentially accelerating rate, heavily on top of each other.

In any event, solid silver contacts in cohort with a well engineered firing mechanism is the easiest choice requiring almost zero effort to adequately maintain. It's a lazy solution... it works as perfectly as perfect gets, but then, I'm not overly obsessed with solid silver upgrades, or maybe only just a little bit obsessed...

VU Sponsors