Become a Patron!

Powering a single coil vs dual coils

Single coil vs dual coil has no impact on your battery or the capacity to power the coil(s) safely provided the total resistance of the build is the same correct? Would dual 0.8 ohm coils (for a total of 0.4 ohms on the deck) be the same as a single 0.4 ohm coil to your mod and batteries? That is what the calculator over at vaping hardware is telling me, but I wouldn’t mind a sanity check from the folks here. Thanks!

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Resistance is an after thought to me (unless I'm targeting a certain number for mechs). There's lots and lots of ways to make a .4Ω coil. Not all will need the same amount of power.

Your coil or coils have a certain metal mass. Heating two coils vs one (same specs), will require more power to heat optimally.

There can be single coils that require more power than duals. It all depends on metal mass.

Metal types can come into play also I'm thinking. I don't really look at any calculators too closely so I could be wrong. I just think N80 heats more efficiently than kA1.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Prefer doing single coils. That aside, if I were to use dual which come in ~ 0.60 Ω, it would be the same as using a single at 0.30 Ω.

Still may be mindful of pushing two coils though. Mass equates to drain as well as ohm rating.

What you're presenting though seems correct, accurate. Up to each of us to decide our own risk, mitigation factors.

Might consider using two battery cells to push two coils. Again, that's preference.

"Is your hand held pipe bomb safe?" *sleepily* "Yep, sure it is."

"Is your hand held pipe bomb with two coils safe?" *awake* "Um, erm ... think so, ..."

If you're using a regulated device it can help avoid going to thermal run off using one cell. Using a mechanical it can only push ~24 Watts, but you got two coils so it tries pushing twice that.

So, I stick with a single coil on the mechanical mods. It doesn't let the coil drain the battery too quickly by attempting give more power than available.

Regulated mods "trick" the fancy "math" by calculating it in "real" time which juggles how the battery "performs". This usually works, ... until it doesn't.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Resistance is an after thought to me (unless I'm targeting a certain number for mechs). There's lots and lots of ways to make a .4Ω coil. Not all will need the same amount of power.

Your coil or coils have a certain metal mass. Heating two coils vs one (same specs), will require more power to heat optimally.

There can be single coils that require more power than duals. It all depends on metal mass.

Metal types can come into play also I'm thinking. I don't really look at any calculators too closely so I could be wrong. I just think N80 heats more efficiently than kA1.

Yes, ma'am. Imo N80 is optimal. It heats fast but doesn't deliver quite such low resistance as SS.

I will never be able to provide the math to prove it, but experience tells me that, especially if coils are Ka1 or higher mass, it takes more oomph to drive two of them than one, even if ohms work out to be the same. Although...the point at which you'd see the biggest difference would be when you are heating the coils up from a cold state. If a coil heats slowly, it generally also loses heat slowly, so once it's hot, it takes less juice to keep it hot if you vape steadily. Unfortunately, I don't really vape that way. I take a hit or two, set my vape down, and I might not touch it again for an hour - or I might. I'm definitely not a chain vaper, though.

So my old worn out single coil that came with my tank was a Clapton at 0.4 ohm. I replaced it this evening with two 0.8 ohm KA1 single wrap coils. Total ohms is right at 0.4 ohm. Mod seems to like it just fine at the same wats as before. Flavor is about 90% as good as before the old coil got nasty. Moving to two coils chucks a bigger cloud now. There is now twice as much cotton in my build. Both the old single coil and the new dual coils I just built are 3mm ID. The downsides are it is more complicated to get everything situated on the deck with two coils instead of one, flavor is at 90%, and it has a slower ramp time. The upside is I fixed my flavor as the old coil got nasty; I guess you can only dry burn and scrub for so long. Eventually I will take the time to learn to build more exotic coils.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So my old worn out single coil that came with my tank was a Clapton at 0.4 ohm. I replaced it this evening with two 0.8 ohm KA1 single wrap coils. Total ohms is right at 0.4 ohm. Mod seems to like it just fine at the same wats as before. Flavor is about 90% as good as before the old coil got nasty. Moving to two coils chucks a bigger cloud now. There is now twice as much cotton in my build. Both the old single coil and the new dual coils I just built are 3mm ID. The downsides are it is more complicated to get everything situated on the deck with two coils instead of one, flavor is at 90%, and it has a slower ramp time. The upside is I fixed my flavor as the old coil got nasty; I guess you can only dry burn and scrub for so long. Eventually I will take the time to learn to build more exotic coils.

Good to hear it's working out for you. The coils I use are all simple. I do not build anything fancy, exotic. Can chuck some modest clouds & do alright with flavor.

Then, I use unflavored base too. *chuckles* Every now & then do add some flavor. That lets me know getting a fair bit of flavor.

Keep an eye on how quick your batteries discharge. Recharge with 20% left on them. Have heard that helps.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm also interested in this topic. One thing I can add is some dual coil decks can be done with a single coil. Depends on the design but that's not always a good idea depending on how the airflow works. Don't mean to get off topic but it does relate to the choices you make. Anyone care to add their thoughts about this?

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
although the watts are the same, the mass is double. this will effect the ramp up time, it only becomes apparent with beefier coils...

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm also interested in this topic. One thing I can add is some dual coil decks can be done with a single coil. Depends on the design but that's not always a good idea depending on how the airflow works. Don't mean to get off topic but it does relate to the choices you make. Anyone care to add their thoughts about this?
Some dual coil atomizers come with a small plug to close off the side where a coil would go - in the event that one chooses to vape a single coil. It helps to diffuse or reduce the amount of air in the chamber (?). I found airy deck-space to be a problem when vaping a single coil in what was usually a dual coil atty. When I was able to buy an atty dedicated for single coil use, it was an adjustment because the overall size was smaller (usually). But the flavor was much better concentrated from rda's like the Recurve. Speaking of which, I saw an ad for the upcoming Recurve v2. something like that anyhow. I was wanting to try more dedicated single coil atomizers.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Some dual coil atomizers come with a small plug to close off the side where a coil would go - in the event that one chooses to vape a single coil. It helps to diffuse or reduce the amount of air in the chamber (?). I found airy deck-space to be a problem when vaping a single coil in what was usually a dual coil atty. When I was able to buy an atty dedicated for single coil use, it was an adjustment because the overall size was smaller (usually). But the flavor was much better concentrated from rda's like the Recurve. Speaking of which, I saw an ad for the upcoming Recurve v2. something like that anyhow. I was wanting to try more dedicated single coil atomizers.

I'd never build an RDA with a velocity-type deck or a Kennedy-type deck with only one coil if it's obviously designed for two, unless there is a plug for the unused side. Where it works okay either way is if the RDA has a postless deck, or has posts that have the coil(s) sitting on top. Although, and I've never tried this, but it might be possible to fill the unused side with cotton, to keep the air turbulence down. Sounds yucky, though, a whole side of unused, stagnant wet cotton. Blech.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'd never build an RDA with a velocity-type deck or a Kennedy-type deck with only one coil if it's obviously designed for two, unless there is a plug for the unused side. Where it works okay either way is if the RDA has a postless deck, or has posts that have the coil(s) sitting on top. Although, and I've never tried this, but it might be possible to fill the unused side with cotton, to keep the air turbulence down. Sounds yucky, though, a whole side of unused, stagnant wet cotton. Blech.
The GV Avocado is a flavor monster when used as a single.

VU Sponsors