Predator Prequel Director Points Out Two God of War Inspirations in New Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Prey director Dan Trachtenberg has revealed that his upcoming Predator prequel takes some inspiration from God of War, which you can see in the film’s new trailer. During an interview with ComicBook.com, he confirmed exactly where you can find those God of War nods in the film’s latest trailer.

“I teased a while ago that I took inspiration from the latest God of War video game, and those two things are in the trailer,” he revealed. “One is his shield, that you see briefly.”

The shield itself appears out of nowhere as interlocking metal parts appear before the Predator. Yup – exactly how Kratos’ shield works in God of War.

“The other is not a Predator gadget, but just the way that Naru, wields her axe, she invents something very cool for that Tomahawk. And that comes from a mechanic in that video game. I think the shield is something super cool. There’s a couple things that are the same, but even those things function slightly differently.”

The upcoming Predator prequel has been in the works for a few years, with director Dan Trachtenberg promising a very intense kind of movie.

“It is a brutal, intense, very R-rated movie,” he said.

But it’s also a very period sci-fi… and that means a new, old look for the Predator itself.

"I think our Predator in my mind, not only does he exist, you know, 300 years before, but I think in sci-fi movie terms, time moves very slowly. If the way that Star Wars functions or even Star Trek, you know, it's like 300 years,” said Trachtenberg.

“Ships aren't suddenly like so different. But I think this guy's perhaps from a different hemisphere of the planet and a little bit of a different breed. So even his look is a little new, it's familiar, but new. So, I'm excited for people, even for diehard fans, to really see something they hadn't seen before.”

The upcoming Predator prequel will debut on Hulu on August 5, 2022, with no theatrical release.

Prey will star Amber Midthunder as Naru, alongside Dakota Beavers, Stormee Kipp, Dane DiLiegro, and Stefany Mathias. Dan Trachtenberg directed the film based on a screenplay by Patrick Aison.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors