Become a Patron!

Project Morpheus Transformed Me Into an FPS Badass...and a Horse

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
As hardware, Project Morpheus doesn’t wow me as much as the Oculus Rift has. Having it on my head is very comfortable—it’s light and well padded—but it doesn’t block out the rest of the world as much as I’d like. My eyes also tire out quickly when wearing it, and I’m not yet convinced Sony’s adequately solved the technical issues that contribute to motion sickness. (I left my E3 appointment feeling pretty ill, unfortunately.)

But when it comes to software, Project Morpheus definitely showed me this week just how wide the spectrum of VR content will be—I also left my appointment excited about the types of games we may soon see. Far and away, the highlight was Impulse Gear’s FPS tech demo, where I shot things on an alien planet with an actual physical (albeit plastic) gun. The peripheral fully controlled my movement and my virtual weapon: I moved around the landscape via its analog stick; the Move controller placed inside it tracked where I aimed; and I fired off rounds by pulling either of its two triggers. (The back trigger shot off bullets, and the front trigger unleashed plasma rockets.) Meanwhile, Morpheus changed the camera view based on where I was looking.

Continue reading…

Continue reading...

VU Sponsors