Become a Patron!

Pulse 2 + Requiem RDA in a kit - the Vandy Vape PR SE Kit Review

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Part one - the mod

Introduction

This should be a simple review, the Vandy Vape PR SE Kit is the Pulse 2 mod (minus one feature) + the Requiem RDA.

Both have been available for a while and are known quantities, so I won’t need to go into major detail on things that have already been covered in numerous other reviews, instead I want to give more of an opinionated review on how they are to use, and how much sense they make as a kit.

DSC_0023.jpg
More images are here.

Pulse 2

Visually, the Pulse 2 is an updated version of the Pulse BF 80w, with a more rounded design, larger screen and a larger squonk window – this is a classic squonk design.

When it comes to features, changes go a little further with bottom-fill, 21700/20700/18650 battery support. waterproof PCB and a new 95w chipset.

DSC_0025.jpg
Bottom-fill

The Pulse 2’s bottom-fill system has two features, firstly you unscrew the cap on the bottom of the mod to reveal an open squonk bottle ready to be filled with juice, secondly if you just pull on the latch on the bottom cap instead of twisting, you can remove the entire bottle for cleaning.

Initially, bottom-fill appeared to be a strange choice – the Topside made a name for itself using top-fill and having to turn the mod upside down to use bottom-fill seemed to be a step back...However, I agree with the choice to choose a bottom-fill system.

My opinion is that the squonk bottle should be directly below the 510 pin, it makes the design simpler and less prone to failure/leaks – while top-fill is amazingly convenient, convenience takes second place to reliability, especially when talking about squonk mods.

I don’t expect everyone to share my opinion, the Topside and its convenient top-fill system is extremely popular for good reason.

DSC_0029.jpg

Chipset

First major point – unlike the original release of the Pulse 2 – the version with this kit does not come with the Bluetooth functionality, this isn’t a case of it needing a firmware update, it doesn’t have the required hardware. Current versions of the Pulse 2 not bought as part of this kit are also lacking the Bluetooth function – supposedly worldwide chip shortages is the reason for this.

This is either a negative point, because you want the Bluetooth functions, or a positive point because with the original Pulse 2, you couldn’t turn the Bluetooth off and you don’t like that. I have the Bluetooth function on my Gaur 21, and it does work well but is generally a novelty feature.

Apart from that, this is essentially the same chipset as in the Gaur 21 that I reviewed a while back – this is a good thing as far as I’m concerned, I really like Vandy Vapes’s recent chipsets.

As standard, the Pulse 2 comes with only wattage mode enabled, however once you go into the settings menu, you can enable voltage mode, bypass mode, temp control and automatic resistance mode.

In addition to these modes, you can change the interface color, lock the power/fire button, reset the puff counter etc, all pretty standard stuff.

DSC_0018.jpg

How is it to use?

Filling is really easy with the bottom-fill system, not quite as easy as top-fill but still far easier and less messy than having to remove a conventional squonk bottle.

The other less messy part is the ability to clean and wash the Pulse 2, the waterproof chipset means you can run it under the tap (after removing the battery of course) to clean it – I appreciate this so much in a squonk mod.

Squonking with the Pulse 2 is good, the large cutout for the squonk bottle make access to the bottle good and the bottles feel good – however due to the bottom fill system, they are proprietary bottles.

The buttons are click and responsive, in early versions of the Pulse 2 there were issues with the fire button sticking, I assume the Vandy Vape have dealt with this issue in later versions because my fire button hasn’t given me any problems.

The Pulse 2 is surprisingly compact for a 21700 squonk, it’s shorter than all of my current dual 18650 mods and only a fraction larger than my single 18650 RSQ squonk mod – I think you’d have to be looking at mech squonks if you want even smaller.

Conclusion

I really like the Pulse 2, this is all highly subjective but I think the only advantage the Topside has over the Pulse 2 is the convenience of the top-fill system. The Pulse 2 looks better, feels better, has a better chipset, is washable, doesn’t have battery door issues (but to be fair, the latest version of the Topside has an improved hinge design), and has the potential to be more reliable due to the simplicity of having the bottle directly under the 510.

I_aint_Joe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Part two - the RDA + overall conclusions

Requiem RDA

The Requiem is a compact 22mm RDA that claims to offer MTL, restricted DTL and DTL through the use of three different top-caps, with each top-cap having different airflow channels.

DSC_0035.jpg

Deck

The Requiem’s deck offers no surprises with opposing screws to capture your coils leads and a very shallow juice well. There is a channel to rest your supplied coiling rod in, this makes it pretty much impossible to not have the coil at the ideal height and centered.

Theoretically, you could put a 3.0mm coil in here – however considering the fact that it comes with 2.5mm coils and a 2.5mm coiling rod and the airflow slots on the ultem top-caps are perilously close to the coil, I’d stick with 2.5mm.

Wicking is hardly worth mentioning, it’s a single-coil RDA – of course the wicking is simple.

DSC_0056.jpg

Airflow

Jack of all-trades, master of none” is something I live by when it comes to vaping, especially claims of atomizers being able to perform well with MTL and DTL - DTL doesn’t magically become MTL just because airflow is cut down.

To be fair, these top-caps do offer more flexibility than merely having adjustable airflow, but everything falls between very restricted DTL and DTL – this isn’t MTL,

Having said that, the DTL draws that it offers are really nice. I usually prefer a lot of restriction when it comes to DTL, but in the case of the Requiem I found myself enjoying the most open of the three top-caps more often than the restricted options.

The three top-caps still seem like a bit of an over-complicated design feature to me, while they do perform well, they don’t offer anything that couldn’t be done far more easily with an airflow insert system similar to the Gas Mods GR1 and an 810 to 510 drip-tip adapter.

Adjusting the airflow once the top-cap is in place is a little strange, it feels very natural to twist the top-cap, but it’s held in place on the deck with a notch – instead you twist the actual barrel to adjust the airflow, even with one O-ring removed and everything juiced up, it’s still really really stiff.

DSC_0051.jpg

Builds

• 26g A1 - this was my MTL attempt with the MTL top-cap. It didn’t feel like MTL – this isn’t about tightness, it’s far more to do with how the air is hitting the coil. It was however, a nice tight restricted DTL vape. If round wire is your thing, then this a nice vape, don’t expect huge clouds but the flavor is decent.
  • 30g MTL fused clapton - this was my second attempt with the MTL top-cap like the first, it wasn’t really MTL, but it was a good restricted DTL vape. I preferred this to the round wire build, the flavor was better.
  • 28g dual-core fused clapton - I tried and enjoyed this with the restricted DTL and DTL top-caps, perhaps a touch more with the restricted DTL top-cap.
  • 27g dual-core fused clapton - this coil is supplied with the kit and with the DTL top-cap is excellent – best build so far. Good vapor production combined with strong and accurate flavor.
All of these coils were 2.5mm ID, and it got me wondering – was this RDA designed around using 2.5mm coils or did 2.5mm coils become a necessity due to the top-caps? Either way 2.5mm works really well in this RDA and I never found myself tempted to squeeze a 3.0mm coil in. Also 2.5mm = less mass, so I didn’t have to push the wattage on any of these builds.

DSC_0021.jpg

Squonking vs dripping

The Requiem is designed around squonking, it has an extremely shallow juice well and the downward slanted airflow makes it unlikely to leak with squonking.

Dripping isn’t too bad, if you use the DTL top-cap, but you end up getting 3 hits out of it before you need to drip again – this isn’t what it’s designed for.

Conclusion

There are two ways of looking at this for me:

• Fail - the multiple caps are a novelty and you’d be better off getting an RDA that is focused on one specific style of vaping, than one that tries to do everything. Also being limited to 2.5mm coils is annoying.
  • Win - it still vapes really nicely, I could find a build that suited each top-cap and none of them sucked. Even though every build was 2.5mm, this didn’t prove to be a disadvantage.
One other important factor is that it looks great – it has interesting design elements without looking over complicated and generally looks like an expensive RDA.

But...would I buy the Requiem as a stand alone RDA, rather than as part of a kit? - Yes, it’s cheap, vapes nicely and it looks gorgeous.

Price

From looking at a few websites, the Pulse 2 mod (non-Bluetooth version) is available for about $40-45, while the PR SE kit is about $50.

DSC_0063.jpg
PR SE Kit conclusions

The mod might be a year old design, but nothing else significant has come on the market since it was released and it has so many good points, that it’s is still highly relevant.

Unless you have no interest in the Requiem RDA, the extra five or ten dollars for the kit is good value.

The RDA isn’t a POS thrown in as an afterthought, and while I don’t need the versatility of the Requiem, maybe the versatility is the point – it’s a kit, so it’s better to include an RDA that suits everyone, than to include one that only caters to one particular vaping style.

Disclaimer

The Vandy Vape PR SE Kit was sent to me for the purposes of this review by Sourcemore who have provided me with the discount code PRSEK that brings the price down from $74.99 to $50.88

VU Sponsors