Become a Patron!

Quality Wire at Reasonable Prices...

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good Day Vaping Underground,

Ready to embark on building first coils... Any suggestions on where to find QUALITY wire for REASONABLE prices? Please, do share! & What gauge would you recommend I start? I figure I'll get some Kanthal and some SS to build with. I have no idea what guages are good for what. The atty's I have(or will have- on deck are OBS Crius Plus(waiting to be shipped), The Goon, The Tsunami, & The Kayfun Mini V3(for mouth to lung)?

Your insight & direction would be greatly appreciated!

VAPING ROCKS!

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I posted the link to temco in your other post.

Really depends on what wattage and type of vape you are looking for. I would get 26g kanthal if you only get 1 kind. But a good starter kit to cover all your bases and experiment with would be: kanthal 100 ft in 24, 26, 28g and 250 or 500 ft 36g as a clapton wrap.

A pretty good starting point would be a 8.5 wrap 26g dual coil. And report back what you do or don't like about it. Then we can help figure out what you need the coil to do.

Coil type is important. Wicking is the most important thing to master. Somewhat foolproof in an rda, trickier in an rta.

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Temco is made in USA if that matters. I personally will pay an extra buck a spool.
Thanks BKTOAD... I thought I responded that when looked up Temco, I was unable to determine which site was the correct one. Anyway you can share a link? That would be most helpful! I also wonder how Temco compares to Coil Society... in quality and affordability. I'd most certainly be willing to pay an extra buck...:)

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Really depends on what wattage and type of vape you are looking for. I would get 26g kanthal if you only get 1 kind. But a good starter kit to cover all your bases and experiment with would be: kanthal 100 ft in 24, 26, 28g and 250 or 500 ft 36g as a clapton wrap.

A pretty good starting point would be a 8.5 wrap 26g dual coil. And report back what you do or don't like about it. Then we can help figure out what you need the coil to do.

Coil type is important. Wicking is the most important thing to master. Somewhat foolproof in an rda, trickier in an rta.
BTLOAD, you are the best for taking time to shared insight and direction.

I have a RX 200 and a Stingray Mechanical Mod( I have yet to use the mech)... I have been vaping my RX200 using Uwell Crown & Vaporesso Sub Ohm Tanks... at like 20watts at times and up to 50watts...

I'm getting wraps, gauge, and mm confused? Is bit correct to assume wrap would be describing thrilled a clapton wrap?

Thanks again...

I really need help locating the Temco site. I am finding all kinds of sites with the Temco but nothing specific to vaping, yet.

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BTLOAD, you are the best for taking time to shared insight and direction.

I have a RX 200 and a Stingray Mechanical Mod( I have yet to use the mech)... I have been vaping my RX200 using Uwell Crown & Vaporesso Sub Ohm Tanks... at like 20watts at times and up to 50watts...

I'm getting wraps, gauge, and mm confused? Is bit correct to assume wrap would be describing thrilled a clapton wrap?

Thanks again...

I really need help locating the Temco site. I am finding all kinds of sites with the Temco but nothing specific to vaping, yet.
Gauge refers to the diameter of the wire itself. Smaller number gauge is a larger diameter. so 24 gauge is bigger around than 28 gauge. Higher number gauge (like 28g) will have a higher resistance, and typically heat and cool faster. And will vape best (generally) at lower wattage (20-45W)

Wraps are the wraps of wire you wrap around a screwdriver etc. that turns your "strand" of wire into a "coil" of wire. More wraps= more surface area, higher resistance, but also more wraps require more wattage to heat.

"mm" is in reference to the inside diameter of the coil itself, in millimeters. Larger inside diameter= higher resistance and more room for more wicking, but also larger diameter means slower heating ramp up.

3 best pieces of advice- watch a couple youtube videos on building simple coils, experiment with different builds (wire gauge, # of wraps, spaced vs touching wraps, and diameter or wraps), and use Steam Engine or a vape app to figure out what effects changing the variables in coil builds has on resistance, heat flux, and heat capacity

It really is something you have to go through a little trial and error to figure out just right.

I would take the word "clapton" out of your vocabulary until you can execute a couple simple coils that vape well. And I think at 20w a clapton has a little benefit. I really see little benefit to a straight clapton personally from experience. Fused claptons are well worth the effort though. The outside wrap does hold some juice, and can create a denser vapor and flavor, but it also acts as a heatsink, requiring more power to heat the coil.

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Gauge refers to the diameter of the wire itself. Smaller number gauge is a larger diameter. so 24 gauge is bigger around than 28 gauge. Higher number gauge (like 28g) will have a higher resistance, and typically heat and cool faster. And will vape best (generally) at lower wattage (20-45W)

Wraps are the wraps of wire you wrap around a screwdriver etc. that turns your "strand" of wire into a "coil" of wire. More wraps= more surface area, higher resistance, but also more wraps require more wattage to heat.

"mm" is in reference to the inside diameter of the coil itself, in millimeters. Larger inside diameter= higher resistance and more room for more wicking, but also larger diameter means slower heating ramp up.

3 best pieces of advice- watch a couple youtube videos on building simple coils, experiment with different builds (wire gauge, # of wraps, spaced vs touching wraps, and diameter or wraps), and use Steam Engine or a vape app to figure out what effects changing the variables in coil builds has on resistance, heat flux, and heat capacity

It really is something you have to go through a little trial and error to figure out just right.

I would take the word "clapton" out of your vocabulary until you can execute a couple simple coils that vape well. And I think at 20w a clapton has a little benefit. I really see little benefit to a straight clapton personally from experience. Fused claptons are well worth the effort though. The outside wrap does hold some juice, and can create a denser vapor and flavor, but it also acts as a heatsink, requiring more power to heat the coil.
Had to reply and not just click like. Excellent post. Excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

THANK YOU.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks Markw4mms! Do you primarily use SS wire because you primarily vape in Temp Mode? I read that SS wire is for TC mode and Kanthal for wattage mode. Or can both be used synonymously?
Kanthal can only be used in power mode, and SS can be used in either power or TC mode.

Tom_Forde

Member For 4 Years
Coil Society, Lightning Vapes, hell, even TemCo wire would work. It's all the same stuff when it comes down to it (meaning N80). Haven't tried building with SS yet, but any of those brands should work well for you.

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

So, I see Fused Clapton wire sold at Listening Vapes... one of the options indicated N80. Am I to presume N80 has to do with Nickel? Considering some of what I read, Nickel is am option I am not comfortable with, at this time. As it pertains to SS or Kanthal, would you all recommend I try some of both? Do you suggest I get 200ft or should 100 feet suffice. I am looking to order a spook of each in SS...
-24 gauge
-26 gauge
-28 gauge

Anything higher than 28 is currently sold out. I wonder why? Please, share additional insight. I am most appreciative of the insight shared this far.

Hope to hear from you soon, as I look to place my order tonight.:)

VAPE ON!

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My recommendation is build some simple coils to get the hang of it. Then go on to claptons, fused claptons etc.

Have heard the premade fused claptons are all twisted. Plus the outside gauge is important too. A lot of the premade is wrapped with 32g. Heavier wire wrap eats up some wattage to heat and no real benefit.

N80 is nichrome, not pure nickel.

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

A pretty good starting point would be a 8.5

In regards to Kanthal options, I am getting confused but the breakdown as seen below... please share insight.

Kanthal
24g, 051mm, 1.04 ohms/ft

I already have three spools of SS316 in my care...24, 26,& 29g's. Not sure wh the Kanthal wire is broken down differently and what ate the differences?

In regards to Kanthal options, I am getting confused but the breakdown as seen below... please share insight.

Kanthal
24g, 0.51mm, 2.04 ohms/ft/resistance

I already have three spools of SS316 in my cart...24, 26,& 29g's. Not sure why the Kanthal wire is broken down differently from SS and what are the differences?

Should I choose three options for Kanthal? If so, which gauges? Thanks again

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My recommendation is build some simple coils to get the hang of it. Then go on to claptons, fused claptons etc.

Have heard the premade fused claptons are all twisted. Plus the outside gauge is important too. A lot of the premade is wrapped with 32g. Heavier wire wrap eats up some wattage to heat and no real benefit.

N80 is nichrome, not pure nickel.

Ok, so I will stick to SS AND Kanthal options? Or one or the other?

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Kanthal. If you want any other type then add stainless 316l. Nichrome is for comp builds really because of the ramp time. Keep it simple until you get going. 24 or 26 gauge for both types.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nichrome (n80) is fine in wattage mode too.

The real question is what are you going to like to vape with. If you have multiple attys and think you will jump hardcore into building, buy a variety. If testing the waters, buy like 2 spools.

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nichrome (n80) is fine in wattage mode too.

The real question is what are you going to like to vape with. If you have multiple attys and think you will jump hardcore into building, buy a variety. If testing the waters, buy like 2 spools.

I have multiple addys and when I go in, I usually go all in! So, I figure I'm going to be building but since it's new to me... I am testing the waters to get a feel.

Will 100feet suffice or am I better off getting 200ft...for example I don't expect the wire(24, 26, 28) to become useless... maybe, it will. What do you think? 100feet or more for my money...$200 feet, especially considering the 20% off special...THANKS ALOT, YOU ALL! VERY INFORMATIVE. VERY APPRECIATIVE.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Kbeevapor is also pretty good and their prices are excellent. I go to them for 1000' spools.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
100 ft is plenty. I have several attys running at once and I didn't even start buying 100' when I started building. And someone will always have a sale if you need more down the road. Remember even with starting out and making mistakes you're only taking several inches from the spool at a time.

Adenrele1982

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
100 ft is plenty. I have several attys running at once and I didn't even start buying 100' when I started building. And someone will always have a sale if you need more down the road. Remember even with starting out and making mistakes you're only taking several inches from the spool at a time.

THANKS!

VU Sponsors