Become a Patron!

Quick Question about Mech mods and 510 pins...

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Bought an OG profile RDA knock off from FastTech - The 510 pin sticks down too far to screw into a regulated mod - am about to buy a used mech mod (S-Rabbit Squonk) so I am wondering - do mech mods accept longer 510 pins? I have to think that spacing is critical for squonking. I am currently in an open ticket with FastTech regarding this RDA.

As well as the 510 pin sticking down too far, the squonk pin seems to be missing threads on the thinner thread section so the little SS piece that screws down onto the pin through the ceramic pad won't screw on. Am wondering if I just ask for a new squonk pin - if this will then work on the S-Rabbit or if I'm still screwed by having it stick down too far?

510 pin protrudes too far for a regulated mod - will this be ok on a Mech?
Profile Pin.jpg

Hard to see and a bit blurry but squonk pin is on top - you can see how threads are 'shiny' signifying they are not sharp like the solid pin on the bottom.
Squonk missing threads.jpg

All parts - shows the little SS piece that fits down inside ceramic pad and screws onto the thinner threads of the pin.
Profile All Parts Ruler.jpg

THANK YOU!!!!

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know the mech you mentioned, but any mech squonk is either going to have a spring loaded 510 pin (almost certainly) like the reg you tried the rda on, or a manual adjust 510. That pin does seam to stick out a ton, so hard to say if your mech has a manual, if it would even go low enough to let that atty sit flush on it.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, just realized s rabbit might mean steam rabbit? If so, I have that mod and that rda, I could check for you

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, just realized s rabbit might mean steam rabbit? If so, I have that mod and that rda, I could check for you
YES PLEASE!!!

Keep in mind this is the knock off OG Profile from FastTech - no idea if pin protrusion is the same on OG vs the knock off.

ALSO - managed to screw this thing down onto the Centaurus Quest - it must have a deeper spring than the other mods I tried it on - so I am asking FastTech if they might perhaps have a squonk pin that has functional threads on it they can send me so then I could use this thing on at least the Centaurus quest. A bit pointless to put a dripping RDA on a squonk mod, lol

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It certainly sticks out much farther than other RDA's that I'm using - and suppose I could try grinding but if that's a fail, it's game over.

Correct Pin Protrusion.jpg

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It certainly sticks out much farther than other RDA's that I'm using - and suppose I could try grinding but if that's a fail, it's game over.

View attachment 199696
I've ground down many. Obviously not making them too short so the threads of the rda could touch instead of the pin, no biggie really. Little at a time 👍 I'll check some stuff tonight and shoot you a PM
You are referring to a steam rabbit squonk mod?

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are referring to a steam rabbit squonk mod?

Yes, Steam Rabbit Squonk Mech Mod - third hand purchase, lol

Never had a mech, been reading up and figured it would be a good one to start with, esp for the price and they seem to have decent reviews.

All my 18650's are 15amp so I just ordered some 35A. Def not an Ohms law pro but understand enough to know that 15amp is walking the line - Will just be a matter of learning when to change out batteries so I don't kill the brand new Molicels.

They were only $4 each so not a 'Tremendous' loss and I know what I'm doing because "just by saying that makes it so".

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, Steam Rabbit Squonk Mech Mod - third hand purchase, lol

Never had a mech, been reading up and figured it would be a good one to start with, esp for the price and they seem to have decent reviews.

All my 18650's are 15amp so I just ordered some 35A. Def not an Ohms law pro but understand enough to know that 15amp is walking the line - Will just be a matter of learning when to change out batteries so I don't kill the brand new Molicels.

They were only $4 each so not a 'Tremendous' loss and I know what I'm doing because "just by saying that makes it so".

The quality of the vape will suffer when your battery starts to get low. With a little practice, you'll learn how to tell when the battery needs to be charged.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The quality of the vape will suffer when your battery starts to get low. With a little practice, you'll learn how to tell when the battery needs to be charged.

Can agree with this. The "new to me" Asmodus Luna I have uses a "safety" MOSFET. There's a led light on it, what I guess indicates low charge. Always pull batteries before the light informs of low charge. Can tell when batteries get to about 20% from the vapor, vaping. Do the same most of the time with full on mechanical mods. The Luna is mechanical, save for the MOSFET "switch". I don't mind that.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been so reliant on the LCD screens for so long that this will be a new experience. Sometimes I can tell when they are low but am always looking at the screen. Sounds like a low battery on a Mech might be more noticeable.

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've been so reliant on the LCD screens for so long that this will be a new experience. Sometimes I can tell when they are low but am always looking at the screen. Sounds like a low battery on a Mech might be more noticeable.
Definitely is more noticeable. With a reg, the chip is still giving you what you call for, until the battery can't anymore. With a mech, it is always only giving you what the battery has left. I use to be scared I would run my batteries down past a safe level with mech's. But just never even come close. Totally notice it waaaay before scary levels.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Your vaping hits a near tangible "drop off" wall, as batteries get discharged using mechanical mods. The vapor itself seems wispy & becomes a "little harder" to draw out of an atomizer. Least ways, such is what I notice.

Fully charged to mostly charged batteries gives you bigger clouds. The vapor texture becomes thick and soupy using "fresh" batteries. You can sing along to "I can't drive 55" while you got good batteries working. When they start "dropping off" you'll hear "This is the End" by the Doors. *chuckles*

Well maybe not literally but think you get the imagery / perception/s I'm trying to convey. Once you start vaping with mechanical mods, you will start "picking up" stuff like "oh, time to change batteries", "hm, think the 'throw' on my fire button needs to be adjusted".

Also, once you start "kissing dynamite" you'll not want those "screen" things ever again. *grin* "Go 24 watt average! Go! Go! It's your birthday! Go!"

Last edited:

VU Sponsors