Become a Patron!

Rda questions

VapeMe

Member For 4 Years
Hi everybody, I'm new here, I have been vaping for about six months now and am currently using an Itaste vv v3 with an Aspire Mini Nautilus. I am looking to get into rebuildable attys, mainly because I want more flavor. I would also really like more vapor, but that is secondary to flavor.
I started my search with what kind of mod I would move up into as this little itaste vv obviously won't cut it. I really like the vaporshark dna, I like the compact size, the feel, and that it seems really well made (I have a brick and mortar vaporshark store near me where I was able to check it out in person). The only thing that makes me apprehensive about it is that I am looking into getting into a rda and a dna is only good down to .5 ohms. I have looked at vamos, other itaste devices, and mech mods. The main reason I like the vaporshark dna is the size/portability.
As far as the rda, I have looked at lots of different rdas. The quasar, tugboat, big block 454, veritas, brass monkee, stillare, and many others. At this point I don't really know what to get. I want to be able to carry the mod/rda with me in a pocket if necessary, want the rda to support a dual coil setup but would also like the ability to run a single coil setup. Basically I want something versatile, that isn't too hard to build on, with adjustable airflow but with good airflow for lung hits. I ended my search really liking the stillare.
I am a newbie, but have a decent understanding of the basics, I am confident that I can wind my own coils, wick the setups, and think I will really enjoy it as well. I have a decent understanding of electricity and resistance. I have also read alot over the last couple of weeks. Any suggestions on devices would be nice, both mods and rdas, not looking to spend a mint, but don't want to cut myself short either. I want a setup I can grow into for a while. Sorry about the long post, just want the best advice possible. Any advice is much appreciated as I don't want to drop a s#|*load of money and regret it.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi VapeMe - first off, as a new builder (I'mve only got 3-4 months' experience myself), don't worry about that .5 ohm limit - you should be building coils well above 1 ohm to start, and it'll likely take a while to progress to where your builds are consistent and clean enough to start sub-ohming. If you ever feel the need to go below .5, there are always mech mods out there.

As far as an RDA, I really like the ones with dual center posts like the Plume Veil and Igo-M - makes dual coil installs a breeze, and you can still go with a single coil setup if you like.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

VapeMe

Member For 4 Years
I have looked at the plume veil. I'll have to check out the Igo-M. Thanks for the help. And the quick response. I really do like the vaporshark dna's size. The size it was wowed me. Glad to hear you say the .5 ohm limit shouldn't be too concerning.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a regulated-wattage device I don't see a need to worry too much about the ohm limit - you'll be able to get the most out of it at 0.8 or so.

Igo-M is great, but I'm liking the Plume Veil clone I've got so much I'm considering dropping the cash on a legit version (I usually buy clones first so if I don't like a device I'm not burned on the cost too bad)...

I've heard nothing but good things about the Vaporshark, though if I were in the market for a box mod I'd probably be looking for 100 watts...for now my Vamo is fine for regulated use - I don't need more than 15 watts to fire the Kanger tanks I'm using on it.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Flavor atty? I have yet to find an RDA that comes close to the Vicous Ant Cyclone w/ AFC cap. These used to be near impossible to source, but readily available here: http://www.myvaporstore.com/Stainless_Cyclone_AFC_by_Vicious_Ant_p/hemm-vcsva.htm

Super easy to coil and wick. My first build on the Cyclone:
2z6c8pe.jpg

Simple 8 wrap w/ 28g wire, 1/16 bit. Reduced chamber really amplifies flavor and as you can see, even at 1ohm you get tons of vapor ;)

xboomer

Member For 4 Years
The Stillare is an excellent choice. Don't bother or fret about a single coil setup on the Stillare. Get something else for that. Save a few bucks and get a regulated device. An IPV V2 is good value and the chip (yihi sx-330) is rock solid. The IPV has fiddly screws, paint that will peel and scratch, but is a dependable performer.

With an IPV (or similar device), you won't need exotic coils. 9 wraps of 28 gauge kanthal on a 3/32" drill bit shaft is a good start and is easy to wick with cotton. Each coil will ohm out at about 1.5 and the dual coil build will come in at .6 to .7 or so. Pull cotton thru in a wide bow tie,leaving enough length on the wicks to fold them under on each side of the coil. Get some inexpensive delrin wide bore drip tips to complete the setup.

The Stillare has enough airflow capability to handle high wattage settings. I find that setting it at 75% open and running at 25 - 35 watts (depending on mood, juice etc.) consistently produces a warm fully saturated vape (lung hits only) using 6 mg e-liquid.

Think hard about the Vaporshark. It doesn't have battery capacity for a sub ohm dripper. You can get by with the R-DNA or IPV if you can charge in the car, at work etc.). I usually vape at 27W so you can probably get by with a DNA 30.

Enjoy...

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi everybody, I'm new here, I have been vaping for about six months now and am currently using an Itaste vv v3 with an Aspire Mini Nautilus. I am looking to get into rebuildable attys, mainly because I want more flavor. I would also really like more vapor, but that is secondary to flavor.
I started my search with what kind of mod I would move up into as this little itaste vv obviously won't cut it. I really like the vaporshark dna, I like the compact size, the feel, and that it seems really well made (I have a brick and mortar vaporshark store near me where I was able to check it out in person). The only thing that makes me apprehensive about it is that I am looking into getting into a rda and a dna is only good down to .5 ohms. I have looked at vamos, other itaste devices, and mech mods. The main reason I like the vaporshark dna is the size/portability.
As far as the rda, I have looked at lots of different rdas. The quasar, tugboat, big block 454, veritas, brass monkee, stillare, and many others. At this point I don't really know what to get. I want to be able to carry the mod/rda with me in a pocket if necessary, want the rda to support a dual coil setup but would also like the ability to run a single coil setup. Basically I want something versatile, that isn't too hard to build on, with adjustable airflow but with good airflow for lung hits. I ended my search really liking the stillare.
I am a newbie, but have a decent understanding of the basics, I am confident that I can wind my own coils, wick the setups, and think I will really enjoy it as well. I have a decent understanding of electricity and resistance. I have also read alot over the last couple of weeks. Any suggestions on devices would be nice, both mods and rdas, not looking to spend a mint, but don't want to cut myself short either. I want a setup I can grow into for a while. Sorry about the long post, just want the best advice possible. Any advice is much appreciated as I don't want to drop a s#|*load of money and regret it.

You want easy to build and over the top intense flavor, get a Magma . I also rate the Origen and Veritas tops for flavor but don't start with a Veritas , a newbie can get frustrated quick.

So you really like the Vaporshark huh , who doesn't lol. You want something affordable, (as you said) but small and compact with big power , look into a Hana Mini type clone , i know people rave about their FT ones .

Really tiny and the latest versions are very impressive , they even come with snap/in/out connectors for easy lipo pack replacement when they eventually die but they last a long time.

images

images

VapeMe

Member For 4 Years
I have read alot of good things about the magma, it does look really nice. My understanding is that the hana mini is only a dna 20 board which seems quite limiting. I looked into the ipv v2. It seems a bit large. I really like the idea of the 18650 batteries, and being capable of 50 watts. But, I read somewhere that you can't charge and vape at the same time, but I guess that isn't such a big deal as I could just get extra batteries and a charger. Is it too big to put in a pocket if nessecary?

Absintheur

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I run a Magma with an .8 ohm coil on my Hana Mini at 16 watts +/-, the Mini has a 30W Evolv DNA board btw...

hanamini_zps8ad39f9e.jpg

VapeMe

Member For 4 Years
Ok. I found the hana mini with the dna 30 board. Definitely a decent price. I think i may have just been looking at clones before.
Edit: I think the price I just saw was a clone. The real hana with the dna 30 board appears to run about 200 bucks... I like the vaporshark dna better in appearance and it's cheaper... Am I missing something?

Absintheur

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been using an original Hana V1 for close to 2 years and it works great, picked up the original Mini at Vape Bash this year and am very happy with it as well. I did just order a DNA Shark a couple days ago and an original Poseidon RDA for it, hopefully they will show up this week. Will be my first Shark but I have 7-8 devices with various Evolv boards in them and have never been disappointed.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have read alot of good things about the magma, it does look really nice. My understanding is that the hana mini is only a dna 20 board which seems quite limiting. I looked into the ipv v2. It seems a bit large. I really like the idea of the 18650 batteries, and being capable of 50 watts. But, I read somewhere that you can't charge and vape at the same time, but I guess that isn't such a big deal as I could just get extra batteries and a charger. Is it too big to put in a pocket if nessecary?

The mini clone is either a 20 watt or 30 watt and you have 6 months to return it if you don't like it , can't go wrong for under $65.00.

VU Sponsors