Become a Patron!

Reply from Volcano concerning replacement of stock battery on Lavabox DNA200

D-Man

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just in case some have a question about being able to replace the stock 9.99wh 3 cell battery in the Lavabox DNA 200 with one that may have a longer charge life I have received a reply from Volcano about this possibility. I am not a battery expert but I looked around for a short time for a higher mAh battery with the same dimensions but unless I’m mistaken the 900mAh battery is used so the Escribe software can work using 9.99wh.

Below is the quote:

“Thank you for contacting us. We would recommend that you do not and in doing so would void the warranty. The battery in the device is a 9.99wh 3 cell battery. It is 9.99wh per cell. This is the battery we recommend using and the same battery sold by Evolv for the DNA200.”

Would like to also add that after the inquiry I received a reply within hours which is good to see, and I’m always looking to shop with companies in the United States. They actually shipped my Lavabox DNA 200 the same day I ordered it.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just in case some have a question about being able to replace the stock 9.99wh 3 cell battery in the Lavabox DNA 200 with one that may have a longer charge life I have received a reply from Volcano about this possibility. I am not a battery expert but I looked around for a short time for a higher mAh battery with the same dimensions but unless I’m mistaken the 900mAh battery is used so the Escribe software can work using 9.99wh.

Below is the quote:

“Thank you for contacting us. We would recommend that you do not and in doing so would void the warranty. The battery in the device is a 9.99wh 3 cell battery. It is 9.99wh per cell. This is the battery we recommend using and the same battery sold by Evolv for the DNA200.”

Would like to also add that after the inquiry I received a reply within hours which is good to see, and I’m always looking to shop with companies in the United States. They actually shipped my Lavabox DNA 200 the same day I ordered it.

Ir's not 9.99wh per cell, it's 9.99wh total. Each cell is 3.33wh (3.7v X .9ah). To find watt hours you multiply nominal voltage times amp hours. In this case you have 3 Lipo cells wired in series (hence the term 3s), each with 900mah (.9 amp hours).

When batteries are wired in series, the voltage adds, not the current (mah). So to find the total you take the nominal voltage of each cell (3.7v) multiply by 3 (11.1v) then multiply that by the amp hours (.9) to come up with the total = 9.99 watt hours.

Cheers,
Steve

D-Man

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ir's not 9.99wh per cell, it's 9.99wh total. Each cell is 3.33wh (3.7v X .9ah). To find watt hours you multiply nominal voltage times amp hours. In this case you have 3 Lipo cells wired in series (hence the term 3s), each with 900mah (.9 amp hours).

When batteries are wired in series, the voltage adds, not the current (mah). So to find the total you take the nominal voltage of each cell (3.7v) multiply by 3 (11.1v) then multiply that by the amp hours (.9) to come up with the total = 9.99 watt hours.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve
That does make sense

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a heads up for anyone thinking about getting a Lavabox DNA200. Just received notice it's on sale directly from Volcano for just under $136 shipped with discount code HOLIDAY15 That's the best price I've ever seen on it.

Happy Holidays,
Steve

Anyone here knows how to replace Lavabox's battery? Bought a new battery from www.evolvapor.com and hell it doesn't comes with the connector.

Lucky i keep the previous one which looks like it is about to explode, but i have no idea what to do with it. This is depressing...

Attachments

• P_20160202_202725.jpg
    P_20160202_202725.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Anyone here knows how to replace Lavabox's battery? Bought a new battery from www.evolvapor.com and hell it doesn't comes with the connector.

Lucky i keep the previous one which looks like it is about to explode, but i have no idea what to do with it. This is depressing...
The connector for the battery is a XT60 connector, that you can easily get at R/C Hobby shops.

But i don't know how to fix it. Mine is the tiny one...XT30. Maybe i ask the shop if they can service it for me.

This is the last LiPo battery mod i am getting. -_-

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure that I understand why you are upset. The picture clearly shows it doesn't come with the XT30 connector. The description mentions it comes with the balanced plug and power cables with no connector. Here's the link.

Here's the full description:
"The FullyMax FB900HP-3S is an 11.1V Lipo pack for use with the DNA 200. It comes with a JST-XH balance plug and 18 AWG power cables (no connector). We used this battery in the DNA 200 beta mods and it performed well."

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:
Ah....I just notice that. Anyway i only found what is a connector today. Before that i thought when i purchase the battery it comes with it.

Well i should have bought it on alibaba. Oh well...

Hey, thanks for pointing that out to me. Now i know it's my own mistake.. :(

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wasn't trying to be mean. I wondered if maybe you hadn't noticed. The reason it doesn't come with an installed connector (imo) is different people would use different connectors (XT30 or XT60 come to mind). A lot of people that order directly from them are building their own mods and would choose which connector they prefer. Good luck!

Cheers,
Steve

Edit. Here's a video that shows you how to put on a connector. One word of caution. Only strip one wire at a time. Solder that wire and add your heatshrink before stripping the other wire. That way you don't have to worry about accidentally shorting out the battery.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Ah....I just notice that. Anyway i only found what is a connector today. Before that i thought when i purchase the battery it comes with it.

Well i should have bought it on alibaba. Oh well...

Hey, thanks for pointing that out to me. Now i know it's my own mistake.. :(
HobbyKing.com has LiPo packs, most of them have the connectors installed. Make sure to order from the proper USA Warehouse, otherwise it will take forever!

Jerry J

Member For 5 Years
Sorry...an old thread but, I was going through some of my old mods and dug out my old Lavabox DNA200. The original battery of course died several years back so I didn't do anything with it at the time. Now I'm thinking that I'd like to revive it and replace the battery. I followed the link to Evolv but couldn't find any info on a replacement battery.

Does anyone know of a direct replacement of the original battery?

VU Sponsors