Become a Patron!

RIP Merle Haggard

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think George Jones said it best when he sang "Who's gonna fill their shoes?". Merle you will be missed, I was raised on your music, and even though I ventured my own way as a young man, I returned to what I was taught as I got older. Your music will forever live on in me.
Here is "Mama Tried" by Merle Haggard.

DIYjim

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
The answer to George Jones' "Who's gonna fill their shoes" question unfortunately is nobody. Real country music is a thing of the past. So I will continue listening to the real deal.
The Highwaymen
Tom T. Hall
Jim Ed Brown
Merle Haggard
Red Foley
Dottie West
Willie Nelson
Dave Dudley
Hank Thompson
Hank Williams
Hank Williams Jr
Hank Snow
Waylon Jennings
David Allan Coe
Gary Stewart
George Jones
Cal Smith
Buck Owens
Ernest Tubb
Bob Wills
Jerry Reed
Johnny Russell
Ray Price
Charlie Rich
Charlie Pride
Norma Jean
Patsy Cline
....To name a few.....

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The answer to George Jones' "Who's gonna fill their shoes" question unfortunately is nobody. Real country music is a thing of the past. So I will continue listening to the real deal.
The Highwaymen
Tom T. Hall
Jim Ed Brown
Merle Haggard
Red Foley
Dottie West
Willie Nelson
Dave Dudley
Hank Thompson
Hank Williams
Hank Williams Jr
Hank Snow
Waylon Jennings
David Allan Coe
Gary Stewart
George Jones
Cal Smith
Buck Owens
Ernest Tubb
Bob Wills
Jerry Reed
Johnny Russell
Ray Price
Charlie Rich
Charlie Pride
Norma Jean
Patsy Cline
....To name a few.....
You forgot Lefty Frizzell, and I like Brad Paisley, he is pretty traditional with an Eddy Van Halen twist, and he recorded a lot with Little Jimmy Dickens but beyond that, yeah, there is nobody.
Oh, and welcome to VU. :)

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't forget hank III, Wayne hancock, honky tonk hustlers, and more. There is modern but traditionally styled country. It's just usually pretty racy

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hank ...goes without saying
David allen Coe
Bob Wills(he's still the king)
Waylon
Merle Haggard
loretta lynn
patsy cline
johnny cash

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You forgot Lefty Frizzell, and I like Brad Paisley, he is pretty traditional with an Eddy Van Halen twist, and he recorded a lot with Little Jimmy Dickens but beyond that, yeah, there is nobody.
Oh, and welcome to VU. :)
damn lefty frizzell ..my dad listened to him before i was born.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Don't forget hank III, Wayne hancock, honky tonk hustlers, and more. There is modern but traditionally styled country. It's just usually pretty racy
I don't like Hanks kid or Hank Jr. for that matter. He lost me when he was so drunk on stage that he started taking his cloths off forgot the words to his own songs, and tried to drag a woman on stage against her will. As for the others I never really gave them a listen. George Strait, Clint Black, and Radney Foster are about as modern as I get. I grew up hanging out on Saturday nights at the Wylie Opry and listening to Patsy Cline. Lol

Last edited:

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My list has one glaring omission. This guy.
View attachment 57230
For some reason I never associate cash with country, despite him being such an icon. He kind of stands alone between country and rock for me even though he was very country in his subject matter songs, and well..... everything.

VU Sponsors