Riverdale to End With Season 7 at CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The CW has announced that Riverdale will debut its seventh and final season during the midseason of 2023.

Riverdale was renewed for Season 7 in March, along with several other CW dramas, including The Flash, All American, Superman & Lois, Walker, Kung Fu, and Nancy Drew. However, that green light for another season wasn't indicative of Riverdale's future, as it turns out that the upcoming seventh season will actually be the show's last on the network, per TVLine.

"I am a big believer in attempting to give series that have had long runs an appropriate sendoff," said CW Chairman and CEO Mark Pedowitz. "We had a long conversation with [exec producer] Roberto [Aguirre-Sacasa] yesterday, who is thrilled by this news, and we will treat the show in the manner it deserves... We want to make sure it goes out the right way.

"I think they, too, felt that seven years is the right amount," Pedowitz added. "As a fan myself, I do want to do what is right for the show."

The Archie Comics-inspired show is the latest series to have the axe fall down on it at The CW. The network previously cancelled Dynasty, Charmed, Naomi, 4400, In the Dark, and Roswell, New Mexico as well as DC's Batwoman, which was chopped after three seasons, and Legends of Tomorrow, which was cancelled after seven seasons and more than 100 episodes.

It is speculated that these cancellations tie into the network's rumored upcoming sale. It was reported in January that The CW was looking at "exploring strategic opportunities," including a potential sale of the business, as it has never been profitable and has primarily generated its revenue from licensing shows to international markets and streaming services.

Despite the report, The CW is still exploring new DC shows, having announced the development of Gotham Knights — which is also being adapted into a video game, though the upcoming television series isn't connected to that project. Instead, it will be based on the original DC comic books featuring characters created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger.

Adele Ankers-Range is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors