Robert Pattinson’s Original Batman Voice Was ‘Absolutely Atrocious’

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The Batman star Robert Pattinson had a bit of trouble finding his Bat-voice.

During an interview with Jimmy Kimmel, the 35-year-old Batman revealed that he wanted to do something “radically different.”

“Everyone does this kind of gruff, gravelly thing,” he explained. “And I’m like, ‘I’m going to do the opposite — I’m gonna go really whispery.’ And I tried to do it for the first two weeks, and it just looked absolutely atrocious, and they told me to stop doing it.”

Eventually, Pattinson found his voice, with a deeper, more traditional Batman tone. “You can feel when it feels right,” he added. “You put the suit on, and you have to speak in a certain way.”

But it turns out his whispery version had been seen before.

“I found out from Nick, who was putting me in the suit every day, that’s what Christian Bale did on Batman Begins,” said Pattinson. “And if you listen to the first Batman Begins teaser trailer, you can hear the original voice. I only found this out a couple of weeks ago.”

This isn’t the first time Pattinson spoken about finding his Bat-voice. He recently explained that it took him a while to get it right, with a lot of trial and error before he found something he was happy with.

“It's weird, it just suddenly starts to feel right,” he explained. “It seems that the more you embody the suit, the more you embody the character; it just started to come out quite organically. That's kind of what I was trying to do with the character; I was trying to think, he's not putting on a voice -- he puts on the suit, and the voice just starts happening for him.”

Obviously, the voice is an important part of the role when playing Batman. And while Christian Bale used a deeper tone, much like Pattinson, Ben Affleck’s version used a voice modulator instead, to bring his voice down a couple of octaves, giving him more of an autotune sounding tone.

Robert Pattinson stars as The Batman alongside Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman, Andy Serkis as Alfred Pennyworth, Jeffrey Wright as James Gordon, Colin Farrell as The Penguin, and Paul Dano as The Riddler. The Batman is directed by Matt Reeves, based on a screenplay he co-wrote with Peter Craig.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors