Robert Pattinson Made 'Ambient Electronic Music' While Dressed as Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The Batman star Robert Pattinson has revealed that he spent a lot of time on set dressed as Batman, even in his downtime – which meant he did everything from reading to making music in costume.

During an interview with GQ Magazine, the 35-year-old actor revealed how he would unwind on the set of The Batman. It's kind of an amazing image.

“I’d be in the tent just making ambient electronic music in the suit, looking over the cowl,” he said. “There’s something about the construction of the cowl that makes it very difficult to read books, so you have to kind of almost lean forward to see out of the cowl.”

Who would have thought that Pattinson's Batman would have something in common with fellow composer-in-a-cowl, LEGO Batman?

The grueling shoot, which took 18 months to complete, took place in pandemic conditions. Pattinson described the set, on the outskirts of London, as a “bubble within a bubble.” And after the crew built him a tent to decompress between takes, it looks as though he spent a lot of his time in the batsuit.

“The nature of the shoot was so kind of insular,” he said. “Always shooting at night, just really dark all the time, and I felt very much alone. Even just being in the suit all the time. You’re not really allowed out of the studio with the suit on, so I barely knew what was going on at all outside.”

Thankfully, it seems he’s pleased with the end result. Inspired by the Zodiac Killer murders, this new Batman movie apparently edges more towards horror and detective fiction than previous films.

“I watched a rough cut of the movie by myself,” he said. “The first shot is so jarring from any other Batman movie that it’s just kind of a totally different pace.”

“It was what Matt was saying from the first meeting I had with him: ‘I want to do a ’70s noir detective story, like The Conversation.’ And I kind of assumed that meant the mood board or something, the look of it,” he explained. “But from the first shot, it’s, Oh, this actually is a detective story. And I feel like an idiot because I didn’t even know that Batman was ‘the world’s greatest detective’; I hadn’t heard that in my life before—but it really plays.”

“Normally, when you see Batman, he arrives and beats people up,” he added. “But he’s having conversations, and there are emotional scenes between them, which I don’t think have been in any of the other movies.”

Robert Pattinson stars as The Batman alongside Zoë Kravitz as Catwoman, Andy Serkis as Alfred Pennyworth, Jeffrey Wright as James Gordon, Colin Farrell as The Penguin, and Paul Dano as The Riddler.

The Batman is directed by Matt Reeves, based on a screenplay he co-wrote with Peter Craig.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors