Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Is it safe to charge my rx200 thru usb?

If not, what happens.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

hacker7

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would say no its not. It is not a balanced charge meaning the three batteries will charge at different rates. That will put a strain on the weaker battery when you vape. They recommend to charge on an external charger in the manual. Good luck.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I don't get why they keep putting chargers on mods and then tell people in the manual NOT to use the charger

I have no idea what might happen if you do, but my house is worth more than a $45 mod so I never tried

hacker7

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Its called cover your ass or in this case their ass The RX 200 DNA you can charge through the USB. It would take a long to charge through the USB port. I think the worse case would be a rapid drain of the batteries and possible fire. Continued unbalanced charging would shorten the life of your batteries. The best accessory I bought was the Efest 6 bay charger. It charges a lot faster. It was a real game changer for me. It would take overnite to charge my batts now in less than 2 hours they are done. Worth the $40 bucks.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
On multi-battery mod's, it is highly suggested not to charge batteries in them regularly. If you do, remember to open the battery casing and manually rotate the batteries to new positions to balance the batteries properly. This hobby is not cheap initially like any hobby, quit being a cheap skate and buy the proper support equipment, in this case a proper charger.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Smoking cost me around $195 a month
E-juice only costs me $40-50 a month

You can buy a RX, 4/6 bay charger, and two sets of batteries and still have enough left over for a topper, w/out going over your old smoking budget

I think it is a very cheap hobby ^_^

hacker7

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Smoking cost me around $195 a month
E-juice only costs me $40-50 a month

You can buy a RX, 4/6 bay charger, and two sets of batteries and still have enough left over for a topper, w/out going over your old smoking budget

I think it is a very cheap hobby ^_^

I quit smoking 12 years ago. I live in NY cigarettes averaged $10 a pack I smoked 2 a day. $20x30=$600 a month. Yes unreal but had to have them.

Cloud-control

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My view why charge it through the usb and take the risk of using the device and having the batteries venting on you, if you like your body part in tacted then just charge the batteries the recommended way. it takes twice as long to charge the thing through usb anyway and the usb is more for upgrading the firmware not as a charging point. well its you choice but i would get a batterie charger !

Cloud control cloudcontroluk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't get why they keep putting chargers on mods and then tell people in the manual NOT to use the charger

I have no idea what might happen if you do, but my house is worth more than a $45 mod so I never tried
They put chargers in mods because people demand it and some wouldn't buy the mod unless it had one.

They put a warning in the manual because it's not a good idea to use it and to cover their own asses.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
They put chargers in mods because people demand it and some wouldn't buy the mod unless it had one.

They put a warning in the manual because it's not a good idea to use it and to cover their own asses.

What about the people that think the mods are not safe and refuse to buy them if they have on-board chargers that don't do true balanced charging?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those people should get an external charger.

The majority would be the former not the latter.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Because customers want the on-board charger. It's as safe as any other on-board charger and many stand alones. It is included because it is a safe back-up to a stand alone.. The fact remains and the manufacturer acknowledges that a stand alone gives a BETTER charge. Also since many if not most batteries failures happen when the battery is being charged. If the battery fails when charging and it's NOT in your mod. Only the charger gets ruined not the mod and your charger.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have charged my RX200 via the USB port just to check it out..Using a old wall charger from my Droid Maxx it took about 4hrs ..mod didn't hot and batts were fully charged...But I use a separate charger regularly...I just wanted to see if in-mod charging worked via USB..And to my surprise, it did! lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have charged my RX200 via the USB port just to check it out..Using a old wall charger from my Droid Maxx it took about 4hrs ..mod didn't hot and batts were fully charged...But I use a separate charger regularly...I just wanted to see if in-mod charging worked via USB..And to my surprise, it did! lol

A slower charge is also better for the battery than a fast charge.

The charger is on the mod because it is safe enough and works good enough. For most customer to not complain.

Fact remains for best performance. Use a good stand alone charger and married battery sets.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
eaf638cec5f5c61c0aeef7533724b73b.jpg
I know @ Honda..
I use this charger for my batts..O.5 amp charges 3 married 18650 batts under 1.5 hrs...with three mods that use three batts apiece plus back ups this charger does the job superbly..(about a yr old now)..also has a I.0 amp mode when I'm in a hurry, lol

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would say no its not. It is not a balanced charge meaning the three batteries will charge at different rates. That will put a strain on the weaker battery when you vape. They recommend to charge on an external charger in the manual. Good luck.

This is the #1 reason why you don't use the mod to charge batteries in a multi cell mod... other than dna charging a lipo pack. That balance charges from everything I've read on it.

You can get away with onboard charging multi 18650's a few times but the charge rate will drift over time no matter how you rotate them in the mod or not.

As one cells charge level drifts further away from the other(s), it will drain more and drift further every charge/discharge cycle as the lower voltage cell will give up more mah per button push than the others.

Eventually you will be charging up to a combined 8.4v for dual cell or 12.6v for tri cell but the mod has no idea that one cell charged to 4.0v and the other two 4.3v.
Over charging is worse than running a cell too low. For both avoiding a fire and for cell life.

Single cell, balance doesn't matter but quality of charge, speed of charge and possibly of damaging the update port over time because you don't want to take the cell out to charge.

In a pinch I will put some juice in my multi cell mod at the office if I'm not getting home till late and juice is running low but I don't peak the batteries and they will of course come out that night to go on the charger so they all charge up to 4.2v each. But that's a couple times a year.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors